Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 250 Posts
Re: Pictorial Guide - Taurus Revolver Disassembly

Just found this. I agree with all the others. Great job Chico.

Reactions: chicharrones

Chicharrones, this is fantastic. Thank you much.

I'm a bit concerned about that snap bushing that holds the cylinder onto the hollow shaft. Is that going to stand repeated cylinder removals for deep cleaning, or is removal of the cylinder recommended as "emergencies only"?

"Yes they are - and no I do not have the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom (though I'd expect it too), so the pictures stay cropped."

I printed out most of these pictures and the full, uncropped picture came out of the printer just fine. Surprised me!

You might want to sell your Pictorial Guide to Taurus to replace the "Exploded views of Taurus Revolvers" section in their "manual". So easy even a Cavema... :thumb:

Discussion starter · #28 ·

Steve48 said:
I'm a bit concerned about that snap bushing that holds the cylinder onto the hollow shaft. Is that going to stand repeated cylinder removals for deep cleaning, or is removal of the cylinder recommended as "emergencies only"?
Personally, I wouldn't pop the cylinder off the yoke hardly ever. Only if I was having problems with the cylinder would I do that. The bushing can be replaced if and when the "snap ears" get damaged or broken, but that means you have a non-working gun until parts come in.

chicharrones said:
Personally, I wouldn't pop the cylinder off the yoke hardly ever. Only if I was having problems with the cylinder would I do that. The bushing can be replaced if and when the "snap ears" get damaged or broken, but that means you have a non-working gun until parts come in.
That's how my thinking was headed. Thanks. :thumb:

Chico,

I've got a silly question - what do you use for pins to "stick" the springs (main and trigger return)? I hoped to use one of my punches, but they're all too thick... :???:

Discussion starter · #31 ·

I used a thin wire like bailing wire, but thinner than the usual stuff found at a hardware store.

It's actually stitcher wire used in machines that turn spools of wire into staples. Perhaps individual unused staples would work? :???:

chicharrones said:
I used a thin wire like bailing wire, but thinner than the usual stuff found at a hardware store.

It's actually stitcher wire used in machines that turn spools of wire into staples. Perhaps individual unused staples would work? :???:
In all my Colt, S&W and Ruger revolvers, the end of a paper clip works nicely. I don't know about Taurus; the hole(s) may be smaller.

Reactions: chicharrones
I'll have my 455 apart sometime in the next week, I'll report back.

The disassembly pictorial is worth a million dollars when you need to take your Taurus apart!

This is from a Model 905 Taurus, the 9mm version, perhaps it is different on the other small frame Taurus revolvers?

One thing I found , was that the cylinder spacer/bushing could come out of the cylinder during dissassembly, and if you put it in reversed during assembly, it will bind up the cylinder. It can be installed either way.

Here is a picture of the correct positioning for this bushing / part. The picture shows the spacer just removed from cylinder.
The stepped end, goes toward the front , facing the cylinder yoke.

21 - 40 of 250 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.