Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon everyone!

Just got back from the range with the 809 and figured while I let the barrel soak, I would give a quick range report on the ZQI ammo I picked yesterday at good ole Wally World.

The Basics:
Gun: Taurus PT809
Ammo: ZQI 123gr NATO FMJ
Ammo Cost: $12.97

First Impressions (At Home): The ammo is typical brass case with a brass jacket rather than copper. Cases and bullets were clean with no blemishes, dents etc.

First Impressions (At Range): While loading magazines, I began to notice that around round 13-14, the magazines were becoming difficult to load. I have 4 magazines for this particular gun and all seemed to have issues reaching full capacity as easy compared to other ammo I have (Federal, Freedom Munitions, Blazer, Remington).

Shooting: I shot about 100 rounds over a half hour. During that time I had 1 Failure to Eject at the very begin of the session; I had 6 Failures to Feed, that were remedied with a very light tap to the back of the slide. 2 of the FTF occurred on the first shot of the new magazines, the other 4 occurred at random places in the magazines. I had two Failure to Fires due to hard primers, but they went bang on the second pull no problem. The ammo had was definitely a little hotter than standard ammo, but also not a hot as +P.

Accuracy: The stuff seemed very accurate. I'm still zeroing the pistol, so it was coming in a little left. The shots were well grouped and consistent. Hopefully with some moving of the sights and then new sights due to lack of visibility, these rounds would just be fine for target or IDPA shooting.

Cleanliness: The ammo was slightly dirtier than others that I shoot. I noticed more unburned powder in the in the barrel than usual, but what "dirt" there was came clean very easy.

Hopefully that answers some questions that people may have concerning the ZQI ammo.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Nice report, thanks for the review.

·
Registered
36,663 Posts
Well it NATO approved ammo!
it should be hotter than standard 9 x 19 ammo.
IF I remember correctly NATO falls between SAAMI standard and Plus p in pressure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, from what I read, it is approximately 10% hotter than regular SAAMI Standard. I also read somewhere else that this particular ammo is like 7000 PSI higher than standard, so it is not quite to NATO specs, but also not quite standard SAAMI either.

·
Registered
36,663 Posts
Yea, from what I read, it is approximately 10% hotter than regular SAAMI Standard. I also read somewhere else that this particular ammo is like 7000 PSI higher than standard, so it is not quite to NATO specs, but also not quite standard SAAMI either.
YEAAAA! that don't really add up!
SAAMI standard pressure ammo for the 9 X 19 is 35,000 PSI, Plus P Is 38,500 PSI
thats only 3500 PSI higher, so that would make ZQ1 Plus P plus 9 MM ammo.
some body misfigured that you got your info from I think.
42,000 PSI Is above 357 Maximum,45 Winchester magnum, and 357 Sig Sauer, thats smoking high pressure in a pistol/revolver round.
anyway good report on the ammo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I have that reversed or I misread it. I did most of the reading last night before I went to bed, so blame the nightcap and being tired from the pain in the butt kids in my 8th period class haha. I wish I could have more specific ballistics: pressure, velocity, etc. Can't afford all those cool toys on my piddly teachers salary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts