Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was a beautiful day today, and mom's 'shower lady' was here for four hours, so I loaded up the range bag and headed to paradise. I wanted to zero my little el cheapo Walther red dot scope, as well as fire my model 8 for the first time. Now like every other gun I own (with the exception of my Kahr CM9) I immediately started into modifying it when I first got it.

Internally I installed a roller cam, a JP Rifle reduced power spring kit, a Heavy Buffers anti tilt 4.5 oz buffer, and a Wolff extra power buffer spring. I also did some polishing on the sear and trigger hook. Some folks will tell you they're case hardened, and you'll screw them up that way, but I ain't buyin' it. The sear and hook were parkerized - except for the business end which had obviously been ground. I don't know how you could case harden something like that with the parkerizing on it, and the grinding was obviously done after it was parkerized. My dad used to say the same thing about 1911 sears, and it turned out to be BS. But I digress.

Externally I've got a magpul MOE Plus grip, magpul rounded trigger guard, and a magpul MOE carbine length handguard, and I had to do a little work on that too. It's supposed to be for piston driven AR's, but it was still partially covering the holes where the gasses vent, so I did some dremeling to make sure they were completely uncovered.

Ammo for this trip was 223 Fiocchi 55 grain fmj's. And I used thermold 20 round magazines. I only managed to fire sixty rounds while I was out there - mostly because my little barska spotting scope isn't worth the powder it would take to blow it up. Couldn't focus the damn thing well enough to see the bullet holes - so I'd fire five rounds and walk 200 yards (a hundred up, and hundred back). Five more rounds - and another 200 yard walk. I finally got the Walther red dot zeroed, but you're not going to be shooting minute of angle with it. And on top of it it's been over ten years since I've been to the opthamologist and I think my prescription needs updating. But minute of bad guy, on the other had, was no trouble at all.

And this thing was absolutely reliable. Not even a hint of a failure of any kind. I'm glad I did the trigger work too - it was sweeeet. Recoil was nil, and it was just really pleasant. And to top things off, the rifle range is usually closed on Mondays. These days they like to have a range officer there when anyone's shooting on the rifle range. There's a kiddy park about half a mile past the top of the berm, and they want all the bullets going into the dirt. I know the RSO who was on duty though, and he let me go ahead and shoot. And I had the whole damn range to myself (insert evil laugh here.) Mom's been having some issues, so I haven't been able to get out of the house much and this is the first time I've been able to get to the range in a couple months. Geeze! I feel like I just had sex. It was a gooooood day! :D:D

And I know, I know - :nopics:

But I've gotta feed the old lady. I'll take some pics after I've got her fed and watered, and situated for the evening's TV watching.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, here's some pics. Not very good, but enough to tide you over...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts