Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a Zero Turn mower soon. My old John Deere is about had it and my old Murray is a pain every time I use it. I cut about 4 acres here at my home and about another 3.5 at my rental properties and some of it is rough. I use my Kubota Tractor with a 72 inch finishing mower for the large clear areas but there is so much I have to cut around that I can't use the tractor and finishing mower. I have never owned a Zero Turn mower but in looking this week I know they are expensive. The best deal I've found so far is the Bob Cat, Fast Track Pro. I don't know that much about them except the City of Danville has about 50 of them and they seem to like them. Any of you out there own one or know anything about them?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Most people I've talked to love them. I tried my neighbors, and took out part of his fence. It just requires too much coordination for this old man. I decided on another John Deere D140.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I bought one 5 years ago and love it. When I bought it Lowes had a sale on Troy Bilt for nothing down, no interest, and if you did not like it you had 90 days to bring it back no charge, no hassel. I wanted a different brand that cost 3 times as much. I also had back problems and if I couldn't use it would be stuck with a very expensive but useless mower. I bought the Troy Bilt from Lowes and at the end of the first 30 days sent them a check for it. In 5 years all I have been out is belts, blades, oil, filters, gas, and less than $30.00 for a set of bearings. Takes about 1/3 the time it did before to mow, less than 1/2 as much gas.Blades and belts last longer. Very little weed eating, a Lot easier on my back. Much easier to run and control than a tractor, or riding mower. My hands are large and can hold the end of both sticks. Except for zero or hard turns I steer it with one hand most of the time. Guy that invented them should be beat with a stick for not doing it years ago when I was a kid. I would buy another one today if mine died and consider it well paid for.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Anyone with no ZTR experience should ride one for a while before making up their mind. All of them are not created equal and I find them uncomfortable to ride.
I do not like the position required for my arms to operate a ZTZ.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've got a Kubota deisel with a 62" cut. I love it. I can do my 2 acres in an hour.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got a neighbor with a Toro Zero turn. He checked out consumer reports, and picked it based upon their reviews. I don't know if they have reviews on your Bobcat

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
I cut my yard the old fashioned way with a push lawnmower. The area I cut is only 3/4
of an acre and I like the exercise even though I must admit those 90 + days with high
humidity are rather taxing. I did take the liberty of getting a self-propelled lawnmower
a couple of years ago. My push mower saves space in my garage and the money I
save can be used for other things (fishing equipment, guns & ammunition, etc.)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
How do you plan on transporting it, my dad looked at picking one up but he uses his pickup to transport his mower. He was advised by the salesman that if you are using ramps into a truck and mistakenly turn while on the ramps you can be dumped on the ground with the mower. So I would advise transporting it with a trailer if you get one.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I will be getting the Bob Cat. I have looked at several ZT Mowers from the other manufacturers and I like the Bob Cat better. It just fits me better and they offer a seat suspension system as an option which I will definatly get to save my back. They are also running a promotion with pricing and financing (0% for 48 mo.s).

Slakev, I wouldn't try to put it on the back of my truck. I have a couple of trailers I use to move Tractors, 4 Wheelers and Mowers on. Been there, done that on the being dumped on the ground.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
When I moved to Florida twenty years ago, I bought a house with 2 acres of lawn and a lot of trees and shrubs. I took one look at it a knew from the gitgo that a tractor type mower wasn't going to get the job done. So I ended up buying an Aherns ZTR with a 60" cut. It was powered by a Kohler 4 cylinder motor and the steering and gear box was hydraulic. At first it was uncomfortable to ride as I'm 6'8" tall and the foot rest was positioned for a midget. So, I unbolted the foot rest, which was all steel plate and drilled some new holes to remount it further forward. After that is was a blast to operate! It's like driving a tank with one lever for each side of the mower. The time it took to mow was reduced significantly with the ZTR. You could cut right up to the trees and tight to the landscaping. It will turn around in it's own space and was actually very comfortable to sit on. I used that mower 45 weeks of the year in South Florida and ran it for 15 years before it gave out. The air in Florida is corrosive. Lot's of humidity and lots of salt. Eventually the metal in the frame and the mower deck just fatigued to the point that it collapsed. But, I got my moneys worth out of that mower and actually had a ball mowing the lawn. ZTR's are a bit hinky on steep embankments, and the tires seem to collect thorns more so than other mowers but other than that I think they are an excellent choice. If I was going to buy another one to mow a large yard I'd buy a Dixie Chopper. Now there's a ZTR!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have mowed lawns for extra income for 12 years, Exmark zero turn is expensive but for your purpose will make mowing a breeze and will most definately last your entire lifetime. Check one out at a dealer, they will let you try it out before purchase, mine has a 50" deck with a Kohler 27 HP engine and currently I have 1600 hours on the engine with no major problems.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I was going to buy another one to mow a large yard I'd buy a Dixie Chopper. Now there's a ZTR!
Just as soon as I hit the Lottery! :):)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If I was going to buy another one to mow a large yard I'd buy a Dixie Chopper. Now there's a ZTR!
Dixie Chopper makes a good mower, especially for fast flat land mowing but they are top heavy and if there is any steep grade they are a little squirly, around sea walls or canal banks they are downright scary.

·
21,932 Posts
I have had one for about a year. I bought a Sears due to the price.

I didn't know cutting grass could be so easy. The zero turn mower is a game changer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts