Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one at a gun show today and severly fought the urge to buy it. I just may head back tomorrow with cash in hand though.

185 after tax for one in excellent condition. What do ya'll think?

Anything I should look for before buying?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Price might be high. But is it cleaned is de-greased? I think I spent $130 for mine (shooter grade) but I had to de-grease it. Its not difficult but it is messy and you must be sure to get all the cosmoline (shipping and storage grease) out of the firing pin channel or she might go full auto on you, I think its called a slap-fire. It can also fire from this when just chambering a round.

Needless to say I have one and its reliable. I'm just not enthused by it and and will be selling mine as well as the un-opened case of Yugo ammo already mounted on SKS stripper clips (had some other ammo in that caliber around).

Beyond that, maybe take a look here:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

I just thought to check on-line prices for those and I'd say that its a good price.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/SKS_Yugo__Yugoslavian_M59_66_SKS_7_62x39_Rifle.html

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I bought one for my Dad with the Tapco stock and 30rd mags. It shoots very well, especially for the price.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did end up getting the SKS. I looked several of them over real hard and found one with all matching numbers, none of them ground off and engraved back in, with a relatively clean stock. The stock could use a good cleaning, sanding and sealed and it would look very nice. :)

Pics shall come soon enough.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
You're probably right. Should we move it or let Flyer do it himself? ;D

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Never mind, while I was typing (and getting a cookie) you answered it for me. :wave:

Steelheart

And you just did it again! :loco:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Not sure where, but someone sells a slick looking BULLPUP stock for the SKS. Almost made me want another one to try it...

·
32,496 Posts
I love the bullpup design in theory and looks as well as for some functionality. ANd here's the but.

Use of bullpup designs have one shortcoming. Shooting from the right side of the street in urban settings. Spent casings have been seriously injuring soldiers who fire when up against buildings, or firing from right side barricade positions, and on the right side of the street. The casings bounce back with enough force, and close to the face to cause sustantial damage to eyes and flesh. All this includes firing from the prone position as well for some.

In certain armies of the world there are many troops who will not patrol the right sides of the street in urban areas and their commanders agree with this. Other different rifle style troops get the nod.

That is one of the reasons bull pup rifles, though the rage, are not universally accepted by the world's armies.

There are many advantages to a bullpup design, but one has to know it's limitations before jumping on the bandwagon.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I got my sks from J&G Sales http://www.jgsales.com/ for about $150 and like Steelheart, I had to completely take that thing apart and degrease it. It shoots accurately enough but doesn't see much range time from me. That might change if I decided to add on some of the cool aftermarket stocks and other accessories.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm still undecided as to whether or not mine will stay around as a beater. I think its only been out once and that was to see if a friend (who's new to shooting) might like it.

The only accessories I'll get are a MOJO sight and some sort of stripper clip ammo carrier (figure couple hundred round carrying capacity). Oh, and maybe a folding stock. I don't see the need for much else as it'll be a gun to toss in the back of the vehicle if the world starts looking unpleasant. I'd rather an SKS get the abuse than my AR unless the world is looking real nasty and I'm relocating...
http://www.mojosights.com/

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
When I did my cleaning (and I'm far from experienced at cosmo removal) I used primarily Simple Green (yes, the household cleaner) since its a degreaser and its non-toxic and many, many rags. However, I hit the vital areas (bolt assembly etc) with Gun Scrubber afterwards to be sure.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Steelheart,

Those Mojo sights look neat. May have to get one for my Mosin!!!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
There are some reviews over on SurplusRifle.com.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I saw those bullpup stocks and here's the big rub, they retail for wait for it......... $350 which you can probably buy 2 sks's for that price. Shotgun news has the ad for their website, don't know it off the top of my head. If the price comes down on those stocks I might consider buying an SKS.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I got my sks from J&G Sales

that is one cool gun store.. :thumb:..45 minutes from my house...did not know they had a online store...thanks Mg :devil:

I might consider buying an SKS.

Hey Ace...they are pretty cool guns... :) I had one a long time ago, had to get rid of it :bang:...they are the as close to a Ak as you can get...for those us that want a AK but can't afford one :'( they are fun...
I had mine 10 years ago... i will have another one, because now there are so many aftermarket things for them..you can really make them nice...
And the price is very nice ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts