Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the many reasons I'm so passionate about the Ohio 4-H Shooting Sports program. In 30 years of Ohio Shooting Sports, we have had 1 minor incident involving a firearm. Nationally, since 1986, there have been 4 minor accidents in the 4-H Shooting Sports program. An enviable record and a testament to just what mentoring and a passion for youth development can accomplish.
Safe Shooting.jpg

·
Super Moderator
36,003 Posts
This is the future of the 2nd Amendment. Thanks for your efforts in bringing forth new generations of Americans who will preserve and protect our liberty.

Reactions: Sid_Matheny

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Those are great statistics. It would be interesting to know the percentage of accidents these kids went on to have versus the general population when it comes to gun safety.

I think both emergency medicine and gunsmanship should be taught in every high school, maybe junior high school. Of course, they've done away with driver's ed. in many schools around here, so there's obviously not much desire to teach anything of value to our young citizens.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
Please keep up the great work and everyone continue to spread the word.

America needs more programs like 4H.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
From the title of the thread, I thought Rick had finally lost it with those kids on his lawn.....:O

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
18,783 Posts
Those are great statistics. It would be interesting to know the percentage of accidents these kids went on to have versus the general population when it comes to gun safety.

I think both emergency medicine and gunsmanship should be taught in every high school, maybe junior high school. Of course, they've done away with driver's ed. in many schools around here, so there's obviously not much desire to teach anything of value to our young citizens.
I'd also like to know the yearly numbers of accidents involving kids, vs adults. Regardless of prior safety courses, there seem to be more firearm accidents caused by adults than kids, especially when hunting. Hunter Safety courses were a requirement here from before I started elementary school, until long after I graduated. It was part of our 6th grade curriculum so I know most all regional hunters have been through it. :unsure:...one would think that the longer you do something, the better you'd get at it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I agree both of those would be ideal for teaching in JH/HS but unlike drivers ed, which tends to get cut due to budget issues, emergency medicine and (especially) firearms courses Would be lack of desire/opposition from the liberal leaning school boards (in most areas) as much as budget.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,937 Posts
I'd also like to know the yearly numbers of accidents involving kids, vs adults. Regardless of prior safety courses, there seem to be more firearm accidents caused by adults than kids, especially when hunting. Hunter Safety courses were a requirement here from before I started elementary school, until long after I graduated. It was part of our 6th grade curriculum so I know most all regional hunters have been through it. :unsure:...one would think that the longer you do something, the better you'd get at it.
:confused: So? Is that why they call it practicing medicine?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts