Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing a 9mm PT111 within the next week or two. It will be my first gun, so I would appreciate some recommendations on related stuff. I am wondering what kind of ammo might work best, is there a particular cleaning kit that I should use or avoid, should I buy a holster, and is there something I should get that I haven't thought of? I did get a small gun safe for it already. Thanks!

·
32,653 Posts
There are a few to think about. Purchase a box of several different brands. Standard pressure loads to start with. Winchester White Box, Remington, UMC(Remington under another name), or Federal generic brands would be good starting points. 115 or 124 grains is more than adequate.Wolf ammo or SilverBear Russian ammo works for some. Take the manual and read it through several times. Actually, going through our FAQ library would be a good idea as that is where in general breaking in a new gun or getting started info has accumulated. Get used to the gun's function and controls. Also how it feels. Taking the gun apart and cleaning it lightly and then lubing where and how the manual says to will get you off to a good start. Dryfiring with snap caps would help you to see if there is any movement or dipping of the gun when the trigger is pulled through all the way. This would also get you used to the trigger pull and how it behaves.Snap caps are cheap and most can be used many times over with out wearing out.This would only need to be done, say a short number of times. A dozen or so. More if you think you need it.Outer's and Otis are two cleaning kits that are quality ones. There are others. As for holsters, just let that go for now as you need to gain experience and familiarity with the PT111.If this is a PT111 Mil/pro and not just an older PT111, realize that holsters that fit standard older PT111s will not fit the PT111 Mil/pros at all. Different frame sizes and specs between models is the cause for this. I'll let others describe their CCW holsters that they use since good old Wisconsin here does not have CCW.When shooting for the forst time make sure the grip is proper. A lot of problems crop up with the wrists not being locked totally or the thumbs being held high and straight out which can cause inadvertant contact with the slide or slide stop causing the gun to malfunction. Thumbs tucked downward usually takes care of this. Give a range report when you can. Becoming familiar with the pistol prior to shooting it is of prime importance.

·
Registered
625 Posts
QD makes some very good points (as usual).

If it were me, for the first range session, I would get:
1) Winchester White Box ammo (50 or 100 rounds)
2) An Outers cleaning kit (WalMart sells these)
3) A range bag to carry your stuff in
4) Eye and ear protection
5) Some targets. PM me if you want some web pages where you can print your own.

Don't try to over-do-it on the first session. The first session should be about getting to know your gun. Read the FAQ section about aiming with the PT111 sights, and also familiarize yourself with how the gun works, including how you would clear a jam if one happens.

If you have a friend or relative that is knowledgeable about guns, take them with you.

If you do have a failure of some kind with the gun, don't sweat it. First, failures in the first 300-500 rounds of ANY autoloading gun can be expected. Second, Taurus has a lifetime warranty, so you won't be out anything even IF the gun does have a problem.

Most improtantly, be safe, have fun, and enjoy that new gun!!!

Todd

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with all of the advice above: buy some Wally World ammo to break it in, save the good more $$$ JHP stuff for later. Spend at least one evening disassembling, cleaning and familiarizing yourself with the gun. I am a BIG proponent of snapcaps, it helps you learn your gun's trigger, teaches basic trigger discipline and safety and allows you to work the action on the gun and get a feel for it. Also agree on the Outer's kit, a good quality inexpensive set up.

As far as the holster, I personally have "range holsters" and CCW holsters. I have 2 Uncle Mike's cheapie ($15) that will securely hold all of my pistols. This allows me to have two guns on me (and I put mag pouches on my belt) so there is less to carry, and so that you can simply holster the gun when it is empty (I shoot at an outdoor range and sometimes no table is available, plus they are rough concrete that can mar a gun's finish) and move on to the next gun, or holster and reload some mags. A good CCW holster is a whole 'nother story. $50 and up and you need to be very picky.

A decent range bag is important, WallyWorld has an alright Allen bag for $20. Plenty of pockets for all your stuff and a little "pad" you can fold out and put your stuff on. I can fit my eyes, ears, 4 pistols, 20 mags and a couple hundred rounds in mine.

Eyes; a quality pair of sunglasses will work, but the $10 Remington ones at WM will too.

I like good ear muffs, but you can start out with foam plugs (also @ WM) for now. See if you can borrow some muffs, I know people who went and spent $80 on them and then can't stand to wear them and go back to plugs.

As Bonedigger said; lots of targets online, I rarely use storebought anymore.

Other than that, shoot safe and enjoy your new gun and welcome to the Taurus family!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Holsters are more for once you get to the wanting to carry stage but having a cheap Uncle Mikes OWB (Outside the Waist Band) wouldn't be a bad thing to have in a drawer. I wouldn't use it for carry but I do have them as back-ups for many of my pistols.

As far as muffs, I'd recommend getting a nice pair ($20-35) as they will protect your hearing better. Get the higher decible ratings, something 28+ would be good. I use a 30 db rated pair and I've seen them recently (upgraded model) at 31db. Once your hearing is damaged you can't fix it. I started with the cheaper models but upgraded overtime.

Plugs are good too but you have to be a little more careful getting them inserted properly so they give you the level of protection they are supposed to. I keep a package of disposable plugs (31db I think) in my glove compartment as spares.

Steelheart

·
Registered
111 Posts
Don't forget to get some factory mags ( EXTRA ) for it , the most usuall failures for auto pistols is mag related, this can be done over time not a Immed. issue, also keep a small notepad in your range bag and mark the mags you have with some kind of numbering system ( could be a piece of tape on the bottom of the mag )
so if you have failures you can keep track of the mag and ammo in use at the time it happens, Go forward from there timeand practice are good things. Good Luck and enjoy your new pistol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
ditto on the heine sights, if you don't know how to use them you'll be kicking up dirt. i hate them, if you hate them as well, i'll tell you what i did with mine. (it involves a file).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much for your words of wisdom! I will make my shopping list based a lot on your recommendations. I have shot before, not a lot, but this will be my first gun to own. I still haven't bought the gun yet, since it seems that most shops are out of them. I did download and read the manual twice so far. When I get the gun I will read the paper one and disassemble the gun (more than once, I'm sure) and clean it before going to the range. I am a big proponent of eye and ear protection, and since that is a big deal in my line of work I am well equipped already. As far as the sights, I'll give them a try. I have read all the FAQ's, and a lot of the other sections, so my Taurus education has been steep since I started visiting this board.

Again, thank you all for your advise. Now it seems that I need to wait for the factory to ship more guns. The only dealer I have found in Houston, where I live, who has one wants a lot more for it than the other guys. He also charges $150.00 for FFL transfers if it is from another dealer! So it seems that I will wait.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In that case another recommendation would be to find a better dealer ASAP. $150 for a transfer is outrageous.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am planning on calling another dealer, but they close Mondays. So I'll call tomorrow (Tuesday). I am out of town right now, So it won't be till next week when I'll be able to go in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts