Taurus Firearm Forum banner

If you've purchased a Taurus firearm within the last 10 years, what has been your experiece:

• Positive

Votes: 50 79.4%
  • Negative

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 11 17.5%
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was really happy with my PT111G2s.
Bought more than one due to price.

Love the ergonomics and features.
A external safety is a requirement for me on a pistol and few others still offer those.
Put thousands of rounds thru my PT111 g2s with nary a hiccup.

G3s ergonomics are even better due to being full size.
Though I lament the loss of that physicals chamber indictor.
Not really happy with the guns ability to tolerate different kinds of ammo and my confidence is not nearly as high as in my G2s as I still wonder if there isnt some tolerance stacking going on in the production process that reduced my feeding reliability.
Seem to do best (near perfect but not perfect) with Tula 9mm but a jam-o-matic with at least one batch of another manufacturer.
Still might send it to taurus.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I have one Taurus PT 111 G2, and it has been great. Also everyone I personally know off the internet that happens to own a PT111 G2 have not had any problems with their's either. I do know of people who have had problems with other Taurus models. As far as recommending Taurus I definitely would NOT recommend Taurus if it's your one and only defensive gun. If you have other guns to fall back on (as I did when I bought the G2) and you happen to get a bad one, waiting months on CS to fix the problem is not as big a deal. I've had issues and know of people who have had issues with S&W, Ruger, Glock, and their CS is lightspeed compared to Taurus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
All but two of my Taurus guns are 1991 and older, and I'm extremely happy with them. But I'll not purchase another Taurus product as long as they maintain their ridiculous refusal/reluctance to make replacement parts available to those in need. Even our local gunsmiths can't get parts from Taurus and most of them now won't even accept a Taurus gun for repair due to this. I won't support a company that won't support me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Positive for the most part.
I have three that went back, a 99 that had a broken rear sight, a PT22 with a cracked slide, and a model 96 I bought used that went out of time. All were mid 80's guns and were repaired correctly and in a short amount of time. I have a model 85, a pawn shop find PT909, G2, and a TX22 that have been flawless, so far. The only one I have owned and traded off was a PT945 that hammer bit me so badly I couldn't shoot it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like my G3 enough that I picked up a G3c. For me reliability and comfort in my (large) hand is high on the list. We also have a 4” barrel .38 special revolver that’s great to shoot when I can find ammo (thanks COVID).

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you own a Taurus firearm, has your experience been positive or negative? If you would like to expound on your overall experience, good or bad, feel free to do so. Would you recommend a Taurus firearm to a family member, friend, co-worker?

For the purposes of the poll, I'd like to set the time frame within the last 10 years.
I own a .45 24/7 OSS and a Judge Defender. Both have worked remarkably well, reliable at all times. I have a good gunsmith so I didn’t rely on Taurus customer service

I purchased a G3C to replace my Glock 43 for EDC. I was pleasantly surprised by its accuracy and it munched through all kinds of ammo for a good 500 round with only one issue, I almost lost my front sight in under 100 rounds.
A quick search on Google and figured I was lucky , many people just lose the sight period. There was not a trace of thread lock.

I contacted Taurus and they not only didn’t care, they played games making you repeat your serial number, your issue,what you want… That left a bad taste in my mouth. I just contacted them to communicate the issue, I can install a front sight on my own.

what broke my confidence in Taurus, my neighbor’s experience with a G3C and a GX4
His G3C was returned to Taurus for failures to load, it’s been 9 months and no response. Meanwhile he purchased a GX4 and had to send it back for trigger issues

he’s out of 2 guns in under a year. I think the customer service experience has to be the worst in the industry. ZERO feedback. If they put the effort to communicate, customers would understand you have issues with guns, especially budget guns.

I personally went back to Glock and got a 43x for EDC. Partly because I’m less than impressed with Taurus’s customer service, partly because it conceals better in warm Florida weather than the G3C

I love my G3C, I upgraded plastic parts with Lakeline’s stainless equivalent and it runs like a champ.

Any gun can have issues but I believe it’s all in the way customer service treats the customers.

I own Keltec guns as well and they have their issues. Keltec is so friendly they’ll invite you in and fix your gun on the spot in front of you. That makes a customer happy

I’m neutral hoping these are just growing pains for Taurus

·
Registered
3 Posts
PT111G2 was my first 9mm handgun. I carried it daily for a couple of years. Used it for NRA basics of pistol course and pistol instructor qualification. The only issue I ever had was with aluminum case ammo. Never any other issues with brass ammo. Several thousands of rounds of brass ammo with zero issues.
I have acquired other 9mm handguns since then, and no longer carry it, but it resides in an under bed safe at the ready. I would not hesitate to recommend Taurus to a friend or family member.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own four: 605, G2C, G3C and TX22. The G2C, G3C and TX22 are the most comfortable to grip guns that I own. Absolutely no complaints or problems. I also own other brands and have had to send three in for repairs/retirement. Customer service at Walthers was okay, Ruger was really good. Beretta……..no comment. So far, I have never had to contact Taurus Repair customer service. I have ordered some accessories and parts from Taurus online and they have arrived quickly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought the PT24/7 Pro used actually over 10 years ago. It had a few issues at the range, fail to fire mainly. Back then, it was easy to ship it to Taurus in Miami and they fixed it with some new parts under the lifetime warranty. Now I dare not do that again as I don't think I'd get it back (recall when they offer no similar gun)!

Fortunately I have not needed to do so, as it has functioned flawlessly in that time (I use it for annual retired LE qualifications as well as semi-regular backyard range practice. The smaller version PT145 has had zero issues, so no experience with Taurus for that one.

My only gripe involving the company is what I mentioned- why don't they make a good conceal carry 45???? I've read good reports on their newish 9mm guns such as the GX4.

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
I've owned quite a few Taurus guns over the years, I own four now - a PT145, a PT1911, a model 66, and a model 617. Of these and the rest of the guns I've owned, they are all keepers. My PT145 had a shredded firing pin assembly around 10,000 rounds, and back then Taurus sent me a replacement part and I was good to go. My PT1911, is pretty much like any other 1911, I've replaced the full length guide rod with the GI guide rod and spring, replaced the extractor, and recently changed out the ambi-safety for a single sided safety. It's my primary defense gun for the house, and I wouldn't sell it for anything.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
PT111G2 was my first 9mm handgun. I carried it daily for a couple of years. Used it for NRA basics of pistol course and pistol instructor qualification. The only issue I ever had was with aluminum case ammo. Never any other issues with brass ammo. Several thousands of rounds of brass ammo with zero issues.
I have acquired other 9mm handguns since then, and no longer carry it, but it resides in an under bed safe at the ready. I would not hesitate to recommend Taurus to a friend or family member.
Someone who was looking for a CC gun once asked me about a PT111G2, since they were at a gun show and the 2 cheapest handguns were the Taurus and a Hi Point 9mm. Since it was meant to be a CC piece the Hi point was out. I could not in good conscience recommend the G2 or any Taurus per se, I only informed her of my personal experience and the experiences of other people I know with the G2, and that hopefully she wouldn't need to use their CS, which at the time I was reading reports on here of 3 months average. She ended up taking a chance and bought one that I had visually inspected and did a basic function check on, because I had once seen a G2 that did fail a basic function check at a dealer. :( How it left the factory that way IDK. I cleaned it prior to her shooting it, and fortunately for her it functioned flawlessly, no parts fell off or any of that kind of stuff. She didn't have another CC gun to fall back on for 3 months.

In fact, so far the only person I personally know that bought a G2 that malfunctioned, it was the guys fault. He went to the range and accidentally grabbed a box of his wife's ammo, .380. He then called me and proceeded to inform me what a piece of crap the G2 was, and how he only bought it because I bragged about how good mine was. :( Ironically the G2 did function (sort of) even with the wrong ammo, 75% of the rounds. Accuracy was pretty good too. I should've been clued in to what went wrong when he said "On the plus side, it has almost no recoil." LOL When he said that on the phone, I was thinking the problem was defective light loaded 9mm, not .380. I went over and checked it out and found the problem, before he was going to send it to CS. LOL

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a PT111 & PT140, TCP738, PT709 and the G3 all bough within the last ten years. My favorite Taurus has to be my first I bought in 1990, the 82. I carried the PT111 daily until I had put enough rounds through it at the range I decided I better retire it. I haven't shot it as much the last year but it's got just over 11,000 rounds through it with only one issue. A failure to return to battery with the first magazine. I liked the PT140 but it was a little jumpy with self defense ammo and I don't think it was really built for the .40 s&w round. Had the slide on the TCP738 freeze up but finally got it broken loose. Other than that I have been more than pleased with my Tauri and will continue to add more as they come out with stuff that interest me.

That being said I don't think I can recommend a first time buyer looking for a firearm for protection buy a Taurus just in case they need to send it back for repair. I don't think I could recommend Smith and Wesson either. I've been hearing reports on their forum of 6-8 weeks for a turn around.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts