Taurus Firearm Forum banner

If you've purchased a Taurus firearm within the last 10 years, what has been your experiece:

• Positive

Votes: 50 79.4%
  • Negative

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 11 17.5%
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I have 4 Taurus pistols; PT145MilPro in .45APC, 24/7DS in 9mm and two 94's in .22lr. I often carry my 145. I have north of 3000 rounds down range with no unexplained failures - no failures attributed to the gun. I don't carry the 24/7 since it's a full size. But I have about the same number of rounds shot with it as with my 145. Same results. Now, for the 94's. They are club guns. Both have at least 10K rounds, and both still work flawlessly. One thing I've found out as a lifelong gun enthusiast, shooter and instructor - both military and civilian - is that regular maintenance is paramount. My guns are cleaned after every range trip 0 rounds or 100 they are cleaned. I've had people tell me that my club guns look almost brand new. No kidding!! I treat my guns before I treat myself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Several years back, I bought a G2C from a friend and no issues with it. I eventually sold it just because I had an itch for something else.

Bought a GX4 and no issues yet and I’m satisfied with my purchases. That said, I understand the frustration of those that have issues.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I've been lucky enough that my only experience with Taurus has been positive, but I acknowledge that others have had issues with Taurus and haven't bought any new Taurus brand firearms in years because their pricing just isn't low enough, nor is their Customer Service good enough to take the gamble. For the price, I would sooner opt for a Ruger or purchase a used gun from another brand with better QC, but then again, Taurus really hasn't put out anything that has interested me in years.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My vote was 'neutral'.
The reason for my vote is as follows:
I have owned a 'couple' of Taurus revolvers, from the Model 94 up to the RB .454 casull, and still have a 'couple' today.
They work, just like I would expect them to work. I didn't have any problems with any of them, or have any need to contact their CS. I have 'many' other manufacturers' guns as well, including all of the major players. I have the same experience, and opinion of them. I expect when I purchase something new, it should perform as designed. I don't expect anything more, OR less than that. If I do need to contact their CS for some reason, then my opinion may go either way.

Here's a perfect example of my mindset:
I purchased a Ruger SR1911CMD when they 1st came out, I love this gun. I replaced the grips, with some custom ones I had made. I pulled the grips off after a couple of years, and there was some mild rust spots where the grips touched the SS finish. I was telling my Buddy at his LGS about it, (I bought it before I moved down here) he took a look under the grips, and said that's not right. He contacted Ruger, they had him ship it back, and I had it back within if I remember correctly, less than 10 days. They cleaned everything up, also it felt like they worked on the trigger, because what was a really good trigger, came back as an incredible trigger. THAT would get a positive rating in my book.

I'm not a huge fan of 'over-rating', OR 'under-rating' things. If they do what they are designed to do, and as I expect, then they are a neutral. I paid for that experience, and expect that experience. No need for me to go around raving about how 'great' something is, just because it worked as designed. It just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
well most that have been here a while know my story--10 Weapons 5 returns, one went back twice!
along with the 24/7 recall, which i didn't count (although one of the returns i did count was a 24/7 that needed repair) as i had 3 of these, the lack of customer service in the past and the lack of quality control and repair times makes them a total no go for me and i do not recommend the brand to others.
I still have a model 99, and 4 1911, two of the 1911 were finally fixed by me after factory return didn't get it done, and one 738 that stays in the safe cause its basically worthless as a self defense gun.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I own around a dozen Taurus handguns. A few semi-autos, but mostly revolvers. I presently on the lookout for three more revolvers. My only negative is my PT1911. It works well and I've never had a malfunction, but the fit-up is the sloppiest I've ever seen in a 1911. Every model I've ever seen was just as bad. I consider any of the others to be outstanding values.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I own 3 Taurus Judges, a G3 Torro , Tx22 and a Taurus raging hunter 44 magnum haven't had any problems. I know Taurus reputation but I think with covid 19 an all the gun sales, all the gun manufacturers mass produced them to keep up with sales and quality control suffered with each manufacturers. The gun companies are no different than car manufacturers. Example Ford , Chevy, Toyota. There is good and bad. I personally believe it's all in how the companies handles problems with their product.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
None of the options above matches my Taurus experience. From Taurus, I have 2 revolvers, 1 alloy & 2 polymer 9's & have had issues with both revolvers & none of the alloy or polymer 9's. "Issues" defined as things that are worthy of returning the gun to CS that is.

Reactions: Deputydave

·
9,140 Posts
In the last 7 years I have owned many Taurus firearms,,20 or so. A spectrum that went back twice, a PT1911 commander that went back twice, but Taurus fixed both eventually. If Taurus CS wasn't so dang inconsistent and argumentative, and if they sold parts, I would have given a positive vote. But neutral is how I went. Now to be honest I would rate most of my firearms manuf's neutral as well. Ruger is the only group that would get a top rating.

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts
I went Positive in the Rating, as my last two Taurus Pistols, a late production pre-G2 PT111 and a slightly used-but nice PT709, have been very good Pistols, with no issues, and both have been an excellent Summer Carry Pistols. That said, these pair only see limited use. A warm-up Range session just prior to their respective Carry season and that's it.

Taurus PT111 and PT709

Long term, I do own other Taurus Pistols past the 10 year limit of this Discussion. A list with comments below:

PT92 - bought brand new in 1992, it's been rode hard and has needed some maintenance, but overall, a very good Pistol I still trust to work well.
PT908 - Generally, a very good pistol that has seen limited use as a Carry Pistol.
PT945 - Generally, a good Pistol, but my Full Size Steel .45 Witnesses always beat it out in ergonomics, so it was traded off for the PT24/7 OSS DS .45 listed below.
PT24/7 Pro 9mm - Generally, a very good handgun with an excellent trigger, hampered only by spare parts availability and service, it sees limited use and is in my Carry Rotation.
PT24/7 OSS DS .45 ACP - Accurate and very reliable, it has served as my Winter House Pistol. Again limited use due to lack of spare parts and service.

I was pretty miffed with Taurus when they declined to actually repair their 24/7 and older Millennium Pro Pistols, and while their newer G3 and G3C Pistols are nice, I've been buying, shooting, and carrying other brands, notably my beloved Canik TP9V1 and my S&W SW9VE.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
My experience with Taurus has been great, good, and bad.

1-Bought an 845 years ago- it was excellent. I loved it. Let a friend shoot it- and he had to have it- so I sold it.

2-Bought a PT-111 Mil Pro- it was good. Carried it for years. Way later started having light primer strikes. Got it fixed- but it kept happening. Last time I had it fixed- I traded it on something else.

3-Bought a PT-738 as a feel good gun back when I got sick (C-word). It was worthless. Never got a single mag full through it without a malfunction. Sent it back for repairs #1. It was gone a couple months...and got it back. Tried several mags- every other round either failed to fire, failed to feed, or failed to eject. Could not get a single mag full through it- with many different ammo brands. Sent it back #2- months again. Still would not run more than 2 shots without malfunction.
#3 trip to Taurus- Months later when it returned I filled 2 mags with some 95 gr fmj and went out and fired both mags without a hitch!-YAH!! It's fixed. I took it straight to Pronto Pawn and traded it on a barely used 92- which has been excellent....I still have to this day.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,452 Posts
7 Taurui, most in the 99/9XX series late ‘80’s-2018. Generally good prices and very serviceable. I’ve never dealt with Taurus C/S, and won’t, as I have not had any problems. My only gripe is the way the latest recall was poorly handled (IMHO), and I didn’t even have money in the game. Subsequent purchases will be elsewhere.
The firearms brought me to what I consider the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I have a very early Judge 3” magnum and a C45BR Thunderbolt. The Judge has had no issues. The pump rifle has a chipped stock that can’t be replaced even though it’s under “lifetime warranty.” Something about no longer produced. That tells me a very accurate story about their CS and warranty. BTW, I love them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Buying the G2c brought me back to Taurus after a couple of real problem child firearms....PT 738 and PT 709. G2c and G3c have made up for them so far. Still have not shot the G3, but hope for the same results as the other G series firearms.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Overall very pleased with my purchases over the years. It's been mostly revolvers: 85, 85UL, 856 Matte, 856 SS, 94, 94UL and a 732 semi-auto. My only gripes were the matte black finish on an early 856. If you count the Rossi Plinker my wife had, it had sticky chambers, went back, returned in a couple of weeks and was fine after that.

Have recently purchased/waiting on a TX22. Searching for an elusive 942UL

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I have a few, Snubby 85, G2c in 9mm, G2c in 40S&W, G3 full size, PT-99, and a .380.. 58 maybe? I forget the number of it..

I had a recall gun, no problems with it, but sent it in and received the G2 40 as a replacement.

Haven't had any issues with any of them. I'll buy more when I find them at the right price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have only one taurus that I very recently bought that had a ton of failures to extract and the front sight fell off. it is at taurus now for repairs.
I think they need more contact choices. They are hard to get ahold of and an e-mail option would be good.

So at this point my experience is not great but I really won't answer the poll until I receive my gx4 back. if they fix it 100% the first time, in a reasonable amount of time I could still say it could lean towards positive as I really like the gun and cs has been nice. But if my gun takes a huge amount of time or it comes back not right or communications fall apart it could very well go the other way.

I believe any manufacturer can have a problem especially with growing pains so it wouldn't be fair to cast my vote until they have had the option to make it right.
I do feel taurus quality control is not the best but I also felt that way before my purchase but was hoping for the best. So I am willing to hold my judgment until I see how their service is in my personal experience. As it is the risk I took.

If all goes well I would be willing to buy another and see how that goes but if mine isn't 100% after repair I will be done with them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Started out about 12 years ago with a new 9mm, 3rd gen Millennium Pro. Shot it, carried it, all was good until the recoil spring locked up. Sent it to Taurus, got it back in 2-weeks with a new recoil spring. Kept shooting and carrying it.

Sold the Mil Pro when the 9mm G2 came out and have been shooting and carrying that ever since without a hiccup.

Bought a new 7-shot Model 66 in high polish blue and 4-inch barrel just before they switched to the ugly black finish. Have never regretted it! Got a Galco Combat Master holster (and just added a pair of Hogue Camo-Lamo grips) so I've now got a great looking and shooting barbecue gun!

Always wanted a range plinker so picked up a TX22 shortly after they came out. Another one I'll never regret! Put a Lakeline recoil spring in it and run about 100 rounds per month thru it - some of the most fun I've had on the range. And no problems!

So overall I've been very pleased with Taurus. Even induced some of my friends to give them a try.

Best,

Bob

21 - 40 of 55 Posts