Taurus Firearm Forum banner

If you've purchased a Taurus firearm within the last 10 years, what has been your experiece:

• Positive

Votes: 50 79.4%
  • Negative

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 11 17.5%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
G3/TX22
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you own a Taurus firearm, has your experience been positive or negative? If you would like to expound on your overall experience, good or bad, feel free to do so. Would you recommend a Taurus firearm to a family member, friend, co-worker?

For the purposes of the poll, I'd like to set the time frame within the last 10 years.

·
Registered
G3/TX22
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Within the last 10 years I've owned a couple of PT111G2's, PT709, G3 and TX22 as far as pistols. Revolvers I've had the model 66 7-shot and several 85's.

I voted positive because of all the Taurus products I've had (going back 30+ years) I've only had a minor issue with the Model 66 that was pretty easily resolved. This doesn't mean that I liked every single feature offered for every model, but as far as functionality, reliability and durability I have nothing negative to report other than the one model 66.

Right now I'm enjoying the G3 and the TX22.

Taurus brings out the vitriol on other gun forums to be sure. Most of those have little to no recent experience with Taurus or parrot past issues they've seen or heard. But I've noticed a general trend on other forums that in the Taurus threads, the majority of actual owners seem to be very satisfied and give a positive report. There are problems to be sure, but then I see problems with other brands as well. So I thought it would be interesting to go to a source where the vitriol would be less and actual owners be present to report on their experiences. Mainly because on other forums it seems you'll have a few that feel it's their life's mission to try to drown out anyone that has a positive word to say about their Taurus product(s).

·
Registered
738 Posts
I own a Tracker 627, a PT92, a PT111 G2, and owned a 24/7 .40 that was surrendered as part of the Carter Lawsuit settlement. My 627 is hands down my favorite pistol and my youngest son has already called dibs so it will be passed to him.

I did have one FTE with the 24/7 that required a gunsmith to remove the spent casing from the barrel.

Otherwise my only complaint with Taurus was how they handled the Carter recall and their Customer Service during that process. My replacement PT111 was shipped to my FFL with no contact information or identification and it was only through persistence I was able to locate the pistol at my FFL.

Taurus offers a lot of bang for the buck but I wish their OEM mags. were not so expensive. I ended up buying several P226 mags. for my PT111.

Reactions: Deputydave

·
Registered
211 Posts
Bought 2 within last 18 months. G2S and G3C. G3C I would have to put more negative than positive. While a nice gun it's not as perfect as the G2S is. The response from Taurus was not IMO the best. When I bought recently again for my smaller gun, I passed on the G4X and went with S&W. The response from Taurus re my G3C was part of the reason I went S&W.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Should be a "neutral" option to vote also.

Negative: Waited three months for a captive firing pin spring assembly I ordered before one of their support people told me it was on the "restricted parts" list and could not be sent to me.

Positive: I sent that pistol in, had it back in ten days, no charge for the repair, they paid shipping both ways.

Neutral: I think they spend a lot of time assuring there is no interchangeability of parts between models. This has to make their parts inventory and availability an absolute nightmare. If you think you'll need spare parts you better but two of the same gun.

·
Registered
G3 ( TORO conv) w/ADE-012 ,TLR7 ; G3C TORO w/ADE-006b
16 Posts
Had my G3 for a year , runs perfect. Got my G3C toro last month and zero issues 👌.

My pops also has the G2C ( 2020) and a 1911
(1990) with zero issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
new to Taurus.....G2C and G3C's. no complaints at this point. the G3C fits my hand perfectly and will be carrying it when the weather cools off. their external safety is outstanding. my G3C's have the olive drab frame. installed TruGlo sights on one 3C.

·
Registered
G3/TX22
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should be a "neutral" option to vote also.

Negative: Waited three months for a captive firing pin spring assembly I ordered before one of their support people told me it was on the "restricted parts" list and could not be sent to me.

Positive: I sent that pistol in, had it back in ten days, no charge for the repair, they paid shipping both ways.

Neutral: I think they spend a lot of time assuring there is no interchangeability of parts between models. This has to make their parts inventory and availability an absolute nightmare. If you think you'll need spare parts you better but two of the same gun.
That was a good suggestion and I've added that to the poll as well as the ability to change a vote. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
1911, G2S, 82, GX4. No issues with any of them.

Had a PT609 Pro (my first Taurus) that was part of the settlement. Kept it until the extractor broke (had 20,000 rounds + down range through it when that happened). Taurus replaced it with the G2S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my g3c for a little over a month now, put about 400 rounds through it and no problems. As another poster said, it fits my hand very well and is easy for me to shoot. So far so good. Years ago I had a Taurus revolver, 4 inch barrel, 38 caliber. Don't remember the model, but no problems with it either.
So my experience to date has been positive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have owned 5 and still own 4. Model 65 3" 357, model 441 8" 44spl, 24/7 OSS 45acp, Judge Ultra light 410/45Colt. Had a PT92 9mm. Never a problem with any of them. Haven't bought any of their newer stuff so can't speak personally on those but sure like the ones i have.

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
I've owned 5, 4 of which were purchased in the past 10 years. Started with a Model 66 in 1986 and that sold me on the brand. it shot much better than I did. Also 4 of the past 5 total have been proven designs; the Model 66, a pair of 1911's and a PT92. The oddball there is a 709SS which is my EDC. I don't know if I got lucky or the universe provided me with the good guns from Taurus but we've not had a single failure outside of standard break-ins of them when new. This also means I've never had to deal with Customer service either. For that, I claim it's positive and count my blessings.

·
Registered
G2c PT145 MilPro
398 Posts
I had a PT709 that was given to me by my fil, so not even the original owner. The grip frame cracked, so off to Taurus it went. Out of production, so no parts. Taurus sent me a G2c, no questions asked. Give them props for that. Shoots like a dreams too. I also have a PT145 MilPro that has been great too.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Just like auto makers, Taurus makes some realy nice guns and some not so good. Chevy Corvette or Chevy Vega... Then you have "i like what i like"
Taurus makes guns. Buyer beware. I like the few i have and i don't like a few i don't have so i'm happy with Taurus.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
My first Taurus, almost ten years ago,, was a stainless Model 66, .357Mag, 4", an earlier model, 6-shot. I took it in trade for something I was not particularly fond of, and the other party told me, right up front, that it had issues of sometimes not firing, but I figured if I couldn't fix it, the lifetime warranty would. Long story short: I couldn't, but several trips to the mothership it finally worked as it should. Now it is my favorite .357 among several. 4 or 5 out of 6 on a B-27 at 75 yds is the best I can do with it, however.

I bought a model 85, 2.5" ultralight blue. Had it for several years. I wish I would have kept it but my newest d-i-l liked it and wanted it for a carry. So I bought a 2" 85 ultralight in the aluminum finish and my son ( her husband) felt he ought to have one, too. Both fabulous guns for me and for them, too. Many hundreds of rounds downrange, and they still are really like new.

I bought an early 99 at an auction because all the Colt/S&W buyers shunned it like a red-headed step-child. The original owner put Pachmeyer grips on it, fired one magazine-full, cleaned it and put it in his safe. It was an earlier model, safety only - no decocker. I put it on consignment at LGS for $450.00 and a Brazilian gent wanted something that reminded him of his homeland. Still a perfect gun.

I bought a near-new 92 AFS because one of my friends' wife had one and she let me shoot it. It became one of those "grail-guns" . A very desirable firearm. It will still be in my safe long after all the S&Ws go to new homes. If I ever OC, it is this one or my Model 66 above) or a 2.5" RB S&W Mod. 19 in an ox-blood red, basket-weave leather holster by Ross.

Though not a Taurus, I bought for my wife a 3", square-butt,stainless Rossi .38Spl. It still needs a spring-kit put in, I;m told the S&W Chief's Special kit works for it.

So all-in-all, I'm well pleased with Tauruses, I even covet my friend's G2S which goes to the range with us every time. So yeah, call me "POSITIVE".

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the last 2years I bought a G2C and TX22. I already owned an older 605. No problems with any of them. My only dealing with Customer service was ordering 3, 16 round mags. I received them within 2 weeks so I have been very satisfied.

·
Super Moderator
38,229 Posts
Currently have 5 or 6 and bought my first one, PT1911, over 12 years ago. I'm neutral as it's been a mixed bag with some great and some returned for repair or replacement. When they are good they are great in terms of value and features, when bad they tend to fumble the ball..a lot.

I suppose if a company never tried anything new and kept producing the same thing for over 100 years they would get pretty good at it, and those even turn out lemons. Taurus keeps on imagining and designing, but I am much more cautious in selecting a new product to purchase until some track record has been established.

Now Customer Service has been a sore spot for quite a while and there are signs that they have turned the corner on that front. They have been battered and bruised and I suspect that a lot of it stems from poor communication between repair and upper management. Parts inventory is also historically sketchy and that involves the SA mothership.

·
Administrator
40,646 Posts
My experience with Taurus firearms and customer service has been good. I broke the locking block in a PT 92 twice. First time they had me send in the entire slide assembly. Locking block was replaced and assembly returned quickly. The second time CS just sent out a new block.
My PT145 is what brought me to this forum. I questioned what I thought was undue wear where the back end of the recoil spring rides in the frame. Turns out it was perfectly normal.
That was in 2007 and I still have the pistol and shoot it occasionally. It and my PT1911SS are among my favorites.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts