Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to the 709 but after two fairly focused range sessions I'm loaded with Remington Ranger 147gr JHP. Needless to say I'm curious what others use for HD / SD ammo. I've never been a buck a pop shooter. You??!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hornady looks like a great SD load too bad it's LEO. I had some trouble getting to the Speer - sounds like a winner as well. Can you write all ammo off taxes as UN-reimbursed business expenses. Pardon my snooping. I shoot a good bit and would love to have that option as a deduction or line item on my schedule C. As an artist that could be a stretch but the parameters of art continue to expand daily!!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Hornady looks like a great SD load too bad it's LEO. I had some trouble getting to the Speer - sounds like a winner as well. Can you write all ammo off taxes as UN-reimbursed business expenses. Pardon my snooping. I shoot a good bit and would love to have that option as a deduction or line item on my schedule C. As an artist that could be a stretch but the parameters of art continue to expand daily!!
MOST police supply stores sell ammo without asking for LEO ID. For about $12/box (small box), the Hornady short barrel load functions very well, and both the powder and bullet are optimized for a 3" barrel.

As far as deducting my practice ammo, that might be a stretch because when I go to the department range for training or to qualify, our ammo is provided. Most of the ammo that I buy is for use at the local gun club. As far as off-duty carry, i am not sure if it is worth the effort for such a small tax benefit and the risk of an audit.

My chief (who I work with daily) also has a private security school that he and his wife run out of their home, and he deducts everything as a business expense! His new SR1911, the extra mags, his .45 ammo, and his holster he took off as a business expense because he uses them in his business!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run Federal HST 165gr and Hornady Critical Defense...I noticed they are offering something new called Critical Duty in 175gr for .40..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I carry Hornady critical defense, 165gr. I am not an LEO, so do not need the critical duty. Hornady's website has a good explaination of both.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
MOST police supply stores sell ammo without asking for LEO ID. For about $12/box (small box), the Hornady short barrel load functions very well, and both the powder and bullet are optimized for a 3" barrel.

As far as deducting my practice ammo, that might be a stretch because when I go to the department range for training or to qualify, our ammo is provided. Most of the ammo that I buy is for use at the local gun club. As far as off-duty carry, i am not sure if it is worth the effort for such a small tax benefit and the risk of an audit.

My chief (who I work with daily) also has a private security school that he and his wife run out of their home, and he deducts everything as a business expense! His new SR1911, the extra mags, his .45 ammo, and his holster he took off as a business expense because he uses them in his business!
Thanks! I'll check out the local LEO shops. I'd shoot premium ammo if I could get it at those prices.

I hear you about the small benefits - your chief handles his business like I do as an artist. I have F/T income in the same field and do a schedule C as a business. ANYTHING related to my career as an artist goes in the tax envelope, travel, entertainment, office supplies - I offset profits a good bit and avoid red flag items.

Thanks for the careful response!

My two handgun calibers are 9mm and 40S&W. K.I.S.S. - then add 12g, 7.62 and 5.56 - still not too complicated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts