Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or am I just missing something? A standard model blue 24/7 pro is about $325 to $375 depending on caliber. A comparable service model XD is about $100 more & full size Glock about $150. Not that I'm complaining, but the 24/7 pro has more features for signifcantly less money. Is Taurus still living down an issue about quality from years past? Over many years I've owned many(and I mean many) pistols. Glock, Sig, Beretta, HK, you name it. My 24/7 pro is the best regardless of $$. Shoots well, good trigger, manual safety, and so far 100% reliable. So what am I seeing that the shooting public doesn't?

CSTripp

·
Registered
235 Posts
Its the name that it has that is hindering it. Since it doesn't say Glock or Springfield, it doesn't stand a chance to those snobs. If Taurus raised the price on it about $95, it would probably get more looks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing.
I think Taurus has too many "irons in the fire".
They don't seem to concentrate on one thing for
very long before they come out with another model
with significant changes.

I really think if Taurus would keep the 24/7 model around for
awhile and made repair parts available like Glock that it
would catch on and gain a better following.
But they've already got another model out now (800 Series).
That makes me think twice about the future of the 24/7 now.

I was going to buy a 24/7 compact this week but opted for a Glock.
The main reason being repair parts availability and it was only 100 dollars more.

I really like the 24/7 but I also really like knowing that I can
order a spring kit and other parts to keep on hand for another
brand.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
I think spare parts and after market parts is a big issue for Taurus. They had a hot seller with the 1911 but had only one set of sites big big problem. the 24/7 has the same issues its a great feelling gun by far. but they already have new models coming out. People are waiting for the next best thing and the after market sites are why bother.

·
Administrator
18,303 Posts
I really love my 24/7's!!!

I also believe that the 24/7's will be around for quite some time, probably in the OSS versions, should the Pro versions be canceled.

I have noticed that Gunshops don't stock many of the 24/7's or other Taurus Firearms in general, concentrating on higher dollar firearms. They do sell well around here, but I do not see many at the ranges.

The Gun Rags (Gun Magazines/Press) rarely talk about them, although I have seen more articles, lately. Taurus needs to sponsor more reviews, but I do see that they now have more ads for the 24/7 OSS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a feeling that they might eventually phase out the 24/7 in favor of the OSS. If they do, I think they'd be making a mistake. Most people would rather save $100 and get a 24/7 like I did. I might have gotten an OSS, but I don't need a 5 inch barreled CCW.

-Vincent

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'll put my 24/7 against them all. The Acadamey in my area has the SS 24/7 for $325.00.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It's sad to say but when you mention the name Taurus many gun owners shudder. Yes Taurus has had their issues with quality control and customer service but I think that's because their product line is so vast compared to Glock or SA.

Every Taurus I've ever owned has functioned 100% and I try to let people know this. It's just extremely difficult to overcome a bad reputation after the poison has been spread for so many years.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I agree with 45 Forever. I've seen a lot of guys who are impressed with the PT1911, but then say they don't like a lot of other Taurus semi-autos. I think that, like with many other types of products, the availability of replacement parts or accessories has a really big impact on demand and popular opinion. The 1911 platform has that going for it.

Everyone who has seen and shot my 24/7, though, loves the looks, feel and function of it. And I think if more people gave it a serious look, it would really catch on. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Definately agree with what everyone is saying:

I remember the first time I took my 24/7 .40 to the range. I was smoking the target at 50 yards. When I dropped my second clip and turned around, about 10 people were standing behind me to see what gun I was shooting, and yes, they all assumed it was a tricked out XD.... LOL, they about died when I told them it was a stock out of the box Taurus!

I'll bet 5 out of the 10 went to their gun stores that day looking for a 24/7. I did let 5 people shoot the gun (that's why I made the statement).

As stated above, it needs a little advertisement! I won't give up my 24/7 for anything. Never had a failure of any type, and it shoots everything I put into it, and it shoots it damn well!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I hadn't even heard of the 24/7 C when I went to buy a Mil Pro, but the lady at my local gun shop asked me if I had felt one yet. As soon as I held the gun, I knew it was going to be mine. The problem does exist that the name Taurus brings an almost immediate "Taurus sucks" from anyone you talk to. I just politely remind them that my gun for $345 will kill anyone just as well as a $900 Sig or a $600 Glock. Personally, I don't like the way Glocks feel in my hands.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I bought my 24/7c, I was planning on a mill pro. After handling both at gun show, I liked how the 24/7c felt, and was still a small size, with high capacity. I know glocks are known for there reliability, but after shooting one at the local range a couple months ago, I wasn't impressed, and saw nothing special about it. At least not enough to justify that kind of price.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry, I own the 24/7 Pro C and the XD45C, XD40SC.

There is no comparison in quality between the two arms. XD wins hands down in every catagory.

I have owned a lot of taurus's and a lot of other guns. The Quality of a Taurus is just not up to par against a Colt. S&W, XD or even a Ruger.

they are nice guns for their price.

steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stolivar said:
Sorry, I own the 24/7 Pro C and the XD45C, XD40SC.

There is no comparison in quality between the two arms. XD wins hands down in every catagory.

I have owned a lot of taurus's and a lot of other guns. The Quality of a Taurus is just not up to par against a Colt. S&W, XD or even a Ruger.

they are nice guns for their price.

steve
As far as the quality debate with S&W and Springfield, I tend to agree. I think Colt for well over twice the cost may be only marginally better. I think Rugers are also comparable quality to Taurus. Ruger warranty is also great. They don't advertise lifetime warranty, but I've never been charged for a part & customer service is repsonsive and reliable. Of all the Ruger semi autos I've owned, I could seldom get a complete mag fired without a jam. Just my .02.

CSTripp

·
Registered
36 Posts
+1 it is not my glock but we all need a gun that you can just have in the glove compartment
i got a 24/7 pro used for 200$ i got 300 rounds through the gun and now is in my truck. ill clean the gun once a month and i am not going to cry if it gets stolen

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can put no price tag for that warm fuzzy feeling you get knowing your gun will go bang every
time you need it to go bang. My Glocks and XD's give me that warm fuzzy feeling, as do my PT145 and PT 92's. Wish I could say the same about the 24/7 Taurus guns. My 24/7 .45 which I bought used has been back to Miami (1) for horrible accuracy problems (2) when I got it back form Miami after the installation of a new barrel and sights it was a .45acp "jammamatic", so off it went to Miami again.
I love "value" guns that work, like all Bersa models. I do not think any gun that has to be returned to the facotry over and over again just to make it operate correctly is a "value gun". While I love the Taurus PT92 and 917 I currently own, I am afraid my experiences with the Taurus polymer guns will limited to my first gen PT 145 that is totally reliable. Just don't like the gamble that a new Taurus polymer gun may or may not function properly.

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
You know, ALLOT Snobs say Taurus SUCKS, but I have been buying them since 1985, and Just THIS YEAR I had one with a problem, FINNALY!

Forjas Taurus has made firearms for I think 70+ years now in the land south of the equator.
Though some may "Look" like Other brands hence making it seem to the uninformed that they are Clones.
Taurus has always used their own production and design methods in producing their brand of Firearms.
Also. keep in mind, when Bangor Punta, Inc owned Taurus for some time, also owned the Springfield Armory!
ALLOT of Springfield's Gun Knowledge DURING THAT TIME, was imported to the good old U.S. from Taurus but very little was sent south.

Now that Taurus is it's own entity, they are using their skilled people to build great guns.
REMEMBER, When they brought that Beretta Factory, they got EVERYTHING, including the people.
SO hence, we see these new designs FLYING at us annually, a BIG Mistake IMHO.
They need to stick to what works, that and the aftermarket will follow as demand grows.
Not make NEW models but IMPROVE what they have NOW.
Develop a BRAND loyalty, improve the replacement parts market.
Maybe have Taurus Service Centers on each coast and the middwest to handle the "Issues" quickly.

Also keep in mind, I think that when they entered the US market with a bang via the PT92, they also were looked down on as a knockoff or a cheap alternative to the Beretta 92 M9! TAURUS EVEN MARKETED IT AS SUCH!
A HUGE TAINT on their Brand that LASTS TO THIS DAY!

Lots of departments switched to the Beretta at this point and the LOVED their 9mm 92/M9s.
They pointed out the open slide, high capacity and that it won the Military trials, but when you say, well what about the safety, my trusty little PT92's WAS SUPERIOR in each and every way!
The snobs HATED admitting it but it was true!
There I was with a full size 9mm PT92 Taurus Carried Cocked and Locked, The 92/M9 could not do it safely!

As the market FLOODED with Beretta 92's/M9's they looked at the Taurus PT92 (Which again has a BETTER SAFETY SYSTEM I am Talking PRE the Dumb Decocker style it has now) and the gun rags called it a "Wondernine Clone" and a "Lookalike" A cheap copy!
BUT the PT92/99 Could be carried COCKED and Locked and SAFE, the Beretta 92 COULD NOT.
If your dropped the 92/M9 in that state it went BANG!

Truth be told, My Satin nickel PT92 can out shoot the Berreta even today after what must be 50,000 rounds plus over the years, and when shooting it head to head, My PT92 will still outshine the M9.

I have never really had problems with my T guns until I got a Lemon 24/7C!
They fixed it asap!
No problem.
Try that with Springfield, S&W or ANY of the others.

My 1rst ex wife still shoots her 5 shot Model 85 wheel gun snubby .38! That was purchased in 1985 If I recall correctly it was her birthday gift in our first year of marriage.
The timing is good, and the cylinder is still tight, and though the finish is a bit worn from years of use it is still ok.

In a nutshell, as more people buy Taurus, and are as happy with them as I have been, the less will be the CHEAP GUN garbage that the snobs put out and that TAURUS STARTED all those years ago.
Besides, if your friends try your Taurus firearm, they may just learn to love the quality and the value that we as Taurus owners have come to appreciate and expect.

Again, I do not know of ANY FIREARM EVER, that was PERFECT, But my T guns sure some close.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I spoke too soon. My PT 145 choked at the range last night. Trigger will not reset. When this one gets back from Miami, it gets replaced with a Glock 30. I'm done with the Taurus polymer crap shoot.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Get the 1911.
I played with one the other day.
its a SWEET 45 and true to the pattern.
Even the gunshop owner carries it on his hip.
I'm saving for the stainless and I hope the make a commander size version too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts