Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among the group I run with are a couple of favorite gun shop owners, a Master Gunsmith, a trio of professional competitors, a handful of semi serious shooters, and a couple of manufacturers. I was in my FLGS last Friday drinking coffee and eating donuts when Mark Serbu dropped in for a visit.

Mark owns Serbu Firearms, Inc, a class 2 SOT FFL firearms manufacturer, located in Tampa, Fl. He is a degreed Mechanical Engineer as well as an incredibly talented inventor. He designed and built his own line of semi auto .50 BMG rifles as well as a single shot .50 BMG rifle that is priced within the means of everyday working folks.

When he came into the GS last Friday he had a brand new gun to show off.

Mark had decided to design a very inexpensive single shot .22 handgun. While it was a fully functional firearm in every sense of the word it was designed for a particularly unique purpose. Toward that purpose Mark made the plans to build the gun available to anyone for $12.00. The gun basically has 4 parts; the frame, barrel, slide, and a spring. Mark called it his "gun buyback" gun because it was perfect for turning in at a buyback location for substantially more money than it cost.

The plans sold like hotcakes. Finally, Mark decided to dress up the little gun a bit and sell it to anyone who wants a nice little .22 pistol for plinking, training youngsters, put it in a BOB, or just keep it in the truck. He still offers the plans for sale to those who want to DIY.

The first gun offered fired from an open bolt. The new version fires from a closed position, has an available rail to mount an optic, locks back after being fired, has a threaded barrel, and nice grips. The slide is relieved so it can be loaded from either side. The new gun will be available and shipping by March.

The best part is MSRP will be about $100.00!

I have my name on the top of the list for the first available gun. When I get it I will be posting a thorough and complete review. Here are some pictures of serial number 0001.....

Don

. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Air gun

·
Registered
17,583 Posts
Sadly, at least some of the meaning is lost in translation because I have NO clue what FLGS, SOT FFL, or "put it in a BOB" stands for, although after much thought, I believe that the latter might stand for Bug Out Bag.

It certainly is a nice looking pistol.

Reactions: paulky_2000

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Very fine- keep us informed. I, among many others I'm sure, am a serious candidate for a future serial number!

·
Super Moderator
38,008 Posts
I could be interested...I was just looking at Phoenix Arms and Walther this morning...the pistol shown looks way better built than the former and is much less expensive than the latter...ILLinois doesn't permit low melt point firearms.

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
That is sweet looking. Don, you are the man when it comes to .22 caliber. So I know it will be scrutinized to the hilt! :D

I like it because it really reminds me of Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Sadly, at least some of the meaning is lost in translation because I have NO clue what FLGS, SOT FFL, or "put it in a BOB" stands for, although after much thought, I believe that the latter might stand for Bug Out Bag.

Whilst I think you jest, I’ll take a poke at it for prosperity’s sake (and new gun folk)

FLGS = Favorite Local Gun Store

FFL = Federal Firearm Licensee

BOB = Bug Out Bag

SOT = I have no clue . . . help please

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I don't get single shot but what the hay.

Reactions: Mark40

·
Registered
210 Posts
Whilst I think you jest, I’ll take a poke at it for prosperity’s sake (and new gun folk)

FLGS = Favorite Local Gun Store

FFL = Federal Firearm Licensee

BOB = Bug Out Bag

SOT = I have no clue . . . help please
SOT is Special Occupational Taxpayer. You can tack this onto different types of licenses. My FFL said basically it means you can do more but have increased ATF and IRS scrutiny.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If it shoots, I'm interested.

....I'm easy to please.

·
Premium Member
13,622 Posts
I absolutely love the buy back gun idea! Brilliant!!!

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

CWB, I apologize for the confusion over my abbreviations.... thankfully daytonaredeye was able to clear up most of them.

An SOT is a Special Occupational Tax (it has nothing to do with a taxpayer only the FFL dealing with Federal Firearms Licensing) that allows regular FFL's to do much more. Short story... an SOT allows other FFL's to deal with NFA items.To keep it simple there are basically two types of FFL most people deal with, a Type 1 and a Type 7.

Type 1 - This license allows the dealer to sell or transfer firearms.
Type 7 - This license allows the dealer to manufacture new firearms as well as selling or transferring existing firearms.

Neither Type 1 or Type 7 are allowed to deal in or have any business with NFA items (full auto firearms, suppressors, SBR, SBS, etc, etc)

After obtaining an SOT a Type 1 or 7 is allowed to do much more than just sell firearms.

A Type 1 FFL will become a Class 3 SOT - which means they can deal or transfer either standard or NFA weapons.
A Type 7 FFL will become a Class 2 SOT - which means they can manufacture, deal, or transfer either standard or NFA weapons.

This is what I meant when I stated that Mark's business was a Class 2 SOT FFL. He is allowed to design, manufacture, own, and receive for other people NFA items.

Here is a very good article that explains it all in everyday language.....

https://blog.silencershop.com/ffl-sot-class-3-form-3/

Sorry again for the confusion.

Don

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
CWB, I apologize for the confusion over my abbreviations.... thankfully daytonaredeye was able to clear up most of them.

An SOT is a Special Occupational Tax (it has nothing to do with a taxpayer only the FFL dealing with Federal Firearms Licensing) that allows regular FFL's to do much more. Short story... an SOT allows other FFL's to deal with NFA items.To keep it simple there are basically two types of FFL most people deal with, a Type 1 and a Type 7.

Type 1 - This license allows the dealer to sell or transfer firearms.
Type 7 - This license allows the dealer to manufacture new firearms as well as selling or transferring existing firearms.

Neither Type 1 or Type 7 are allowed to deal in or have any business with NFA items (full auto firearms, suppressors, SBR, SBS, etc, etc)

After obtaining an SOT a Type 1 or 7 is allowed to do much more than just sell firearms.

A Type 1 FFL will become a Class 3 SOT - which means they can deal or transfer either standard or NFA weapons.
A Type 7 FFL will become a Class 2 SOT - which means they can manufacture, deal, or transfer either standard or NFA weapons.

This is what I meant when I stated that Mark's business was a Class 2 SOT FFL. He is allowed to design, manufacture, own, and receive for other people NFA items.

Here is a very good article that explains it all in everyday language.....

https://blog.silencershop.com/ffl-sot-class-3-form-3/

Sorry again for the confusion.

Don
I think you defined everything exceptionally well. Thanks for that.

Reactions: BackStop

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Looks like a fun pistol for the price !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts