Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been struggling searching for a solution to a problem. At our animal shelter we have a play yard that is epoxy coated. It's actually in very good shape but years of sun baked urine with a touch of feces (sorry lol) has left it looking shoddy. We have tried a lot of things to clean it. Soap and bleach, Simple Green, that purple stuff everybody uses etc. Nothing will touch it. Hit it about as hard as I dared with a pressure washer and it's unfazed by it. Even thought about redoing it completely but after literally months of trying to even get a quote it came in at over $13K. Apparently they have to grind off the old epoxy. Too steep for us.

So I'm looking for suggestions. As I said fortunately it's actually in good shape but we deal with the public and a cleaner appearance is kind of important. Any good suggestions on something I could try to clean it with? Anybody know if I could paint over it, even if I have to repaint every couple of years? If so what would be a good paint? Thanks in advance!

Play yard 1.jpg

PLay yard 2.jpg

·
22,304 Posts
Sell the next parcel over to a skunk farm. You'll quit worrying about how the epoxy looks, I guarantee it.

Have you called the epoxy manufacturer to ask them for suggestions?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sell the next parcel over to a skunk farm. You'll quit worrying about how the epoxy looks, I guarantee it.

Have you called the epoxy manufacturer to ask them for suggestions?
Well it was done when the building was constructed which was by a large out of town contractor about nine years ago. I estimate a zero chance we could ever get any information.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you just coat over it with a self applied epoxy coating?
It has crossed my mind and there is some info available on doing that. Even so that would not be cheap for a 2,000 square foot area though we could probably afford that. My fear though is spending a few thousand dollars and ending up with a disaster since I don't know what I'm doing lol. If I was sure it would work I would.

·
Registered
14,803 Posts
You can use a driveway sealer on it or rough it up a bit and reapply an epoxy coat. I would go with a darker color like a sand color as it'll cut down on stains showing and will minimize reflected sunlight.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
It has crossed my mind and there is some info available on doing that. Even so that would not be cheap for a 2,000 square foot area though we could probably afford that. My fear though is spending a few thousand dollars and ending up with a disaster since I don't know what I'm doing lol. If I was sure it would work I would.
At 400sqft/gallon, 2,000 is 5 gallons of paint. Maybe, if you must do it yourselves, you could rough the surface with steel-wire brush in one of those big industrial floor sanding machines. Or even use a rough grade of sandpaper - just so long as you have roughed up the entire surface, left nothing with a glaze.

Talk to the people who make the current epoxy paint - they are probably most knowledgeable on this sort of problem.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've seen many applications where epoxy coatings were utilized in the factory setting. The success of the current product you have, is nothing short of amazing.

Pad drainage looks non existent. Pools of urine had no place to go, taking its toll. As long as the dog urine seeks its own level, stains will come back to haunt.

Try soaking a stain with a towel wet with hydrogen peroxide for an hour or so... brush & rinse.

If that didn't dissolve or lighten things up, I'd try a soak of muriatic acid along with another brush and rinse.

If none of that works you may think about an overcoat of some kind. The stain could be spot painted with outdoor latex, color matched to the concrete.

Without proper drainage and as long as the dogs remain, these puddle stains will come back.

Reactions: TonyC2639

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
It could be scale. Whatever the stains are, they are on the surface of the epoxy. Test some CLR and see what happens. Otherwise I'm with Lomax, break out the muriatic acid, or better yet, nuke it with hydrofloric acid. Be careful, wear muckers, rubber gloves and a mask. The stuff is caustic.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
You can use a driveway sealer on it or rough it up a bit and reapply an epoxy coat. I would go with a darker color like a sand color as it'll cut down on stains showing and will minimize reflected sunlight.
At 400sqft/gallon, 2,000 is 5 gallons of paint. Maybe, if you must do it yourselves, you could rough the surface with steel-wire brush in one of those big industrial floor sanding machines. Or even use a rough grade of sandpaper - just so long as you have roughed up the entire surface, left nothing with a glaze.

Talk to the people who make the current epoxy paint - they are probably most knowledgeable on this sort of problem.
This is the along the lines of what I thought. Rent one or two of those drum sanders, used to refinish wood floors, and do a light sanding to rough up the surface and then apply new epoxy paint.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts

·
Registered
18,811 Posts
Sandblasting and recoating, maybe? I'd be cautious with acids, our drivers carried buckets of muriatic acid on the chute racks of their mixers to wash concrete spatter off the drum. It doesn't harm the paint but it dissolves concrete.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Epoxy paint. Paint it. Rent an airless "bull dog" and buy the epoxy paint in 5 gal buckets. The bull dog is made to work with five gal buckets of paint. I would call valspar paint and tell them what i have and what. Product they recommend. They might even donate it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My go- to solution for a lot of problems as last resort, is vinegar and Dawn dishwashing soap. Sometimes the simplest thing are the most effective. Worth a try. Let us know if it works

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Try WD40 You would be surprised at how well it cleans things.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Check with Home Depot, Lowes or other home improvement store to see if they would donate the materials. They have budgets for donating to community organizations.

·
Super Moderator
36,042 Posts

I'm in this camp. If you give the existing coating some "tooth" a fresh coat should adhere. Darker is better to assure coverage. Hitting it with a roro with sanding screen shouldn't be too onerous. Don't go through the existing coating. Try a small sample area to see how it applies, adheres, and lasts. Do it in the Fall and see how it overwinters.

I would be careful with acid cleaners as damage to the coating could mandate total removal.

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
I have no idea how to repair it since I am the only person
on the internet that is an expert in nothing.
I just wanted to thank you for working on the shelter
and helping the animals...........:thumb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts