Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Interesting to say the least. Not sure I see the use for an AR in the woods, but I certainly wouldn't knock it. I would prolly even venture to take a walk through the woods with one if I had the chance. I'm not sure I would use it on the deer stand though.

I don't own one, but would like to. I certainly don't understand the 'terrorist' rifle comment.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I can't believe he would come out with a statement like that. Although I don't own this type of rifle, I take issue with the term "Assault Rifle". The media loves to play this up. "Assault" is a type of behavior, not a rifle. If someone wants to use a semi-auto high capacity rifle in the woods or field, why shouldn't they? As long as they know how to handle the firearm I see no problem with using this over a "traditional" sporting firearm.

·
32,807 Posts
Since it was a Nazi as well as Hitler moniker, because the Nazi's could not bear the idea they were losing the war and were retreating or might have to, this was for propaganda purposes only. That is documented well. Therefore there is no real such thing as an assault rifle. There is no real designation nor criteria ever set up for such a thing.German rifles that could fire full and semi-auto were fielded in 1942- 1945. These either fired a full 8mm.(sometimes referred to as 7.92 mm.) or a intermidiary cartridge in 8mm.that had about half to 2 thirds range of the full powered 8mm. Facing seemingly endless onrushing waves of Russian humanity, one can see why controled full auto fire would be necessary if one was to live and fight another day. So to use the words "assault rifle" is wrong in every way. The biased press and anti-gunners have seized upon this as a reason to ban the rifles.Others find inflammatory ways to use this to get a rise out people.After all, it is all a game to them.

·
32,807 Posts
Nope. The media fostered the idea and the press ran with it because it sounded nasty and powerful.It sold newpapers and sounded good on T.V. Just being a rifle doesn't get the attention that something dramatic does. Have to have the unusual or sensational to give to the people. Just like the Nazi gun control laws are the basis for the anti-gunners, these guys took another page out of history and made it there own. Even if it is from an evil empire. The public bought the idea that these are assult rifles because of them. MichaelFM knows of what he speaks. There is another thread of his on just this thing. Just a for instance. All guns that ate semi-auto are considered as full auto or autos by the media. No semi-auto is ever mentioned unless the reporter is knowledgeable or did his homework. That is rarely if ever done. How about the nuetron bomb blowing up people and leaving the buildings. Put this up as a thread and watch the reactions. How does a blast that is as hot or hotter than the surface of the sun leave buildings behind and the overpressure is too great for anything to withstand the blast as well? The inventor of the nuetron "device" himself had to write a whole book debunking that claim. He designed it so it could be used on Russian troop masses in their tens or hundreds of thousands in the country side, thereby lessening damage and carnage to the cities of Europe where the mass battles were going to be fought. No reason to nuke the cities if you stop the enemy in the country side. His trying to save the cities led to the press mis-quoting him and turning the myth out today as gospel. Want to take a poll of people who believe this even today. He wrote the book back at least three decades ago and of course most people are ignorant that the book even existed. Sensationalism sells. Standard info does not.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Zumbro's in CYA mode now:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.html

He still might be able to get a job writing. I think I heard that a bunch of, how shall I put this, outdoor type/less than supportive of the Second Amendment writer started an outdoor/hunting mag/organization a while back. Don't know if they're still working, nor do I care.

Steelheart

·
Registered
790 Posts
I gotta give him credit for coming forward and admitting he was a dumb ass for writing that piece. I would think a guy with his experience would have thought twice before concocting anything so blatantly anti-gun. He should have known that the sky was going to fall on him for that one. Did some damage to his credibility.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Looks like you can't access those blogs anymore. I've been trying, but keep hitting dead ends.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Statement from Outdoor Life

Due to the controversy surrounding Jim Zumbo’s recent postings, Outdoor Life has decided to discontinue the “Hunting With Zumbo” blog for the time being. Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the looks of the firearms we choose to own, shoot and take hunting. Please direct any comments you have to [email protected].

February 19, 2007 in Hunting | Permalink

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know a lot of guys with AR 15's and M4's set up with scopes for varmint hunting. Shooting "dogs, a 40 round mag is handy, when legal. Besides, every gun in use can trace a lineage to some type of military arm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why the apparent confusion here? Zumbo made a big mistake by saying there is no need for a high capacity weapon like an ar out in the woods.

Last time i checked any ar type rifle in 223 was a decent pocket gopher gun.... and if you read various laws carefully, the bullpup replacement stocks sold for the ruger 10/22 qualify as "assualt rifles" in california..

·
Registered
625 Posts
I never saw his original statements. Anybody know where I can see them? The post above takes me to the Outdoor Life response only.

Todd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts