Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Wow do they ever pack grease into these things. After a thorough 2 hour cleaning and lube it works much smoother. I even tore the mag down and cleaned that. I hope I can get out tomorrow to see how it fires.

Luci:)

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Congratulations on the new 709! Yeah, Taurus does really pack these guns full of preservative. Like you it took me about 2 hours to clean my PT99 when it was new. Pay special attention the the areas around the ejector, extractor, and the firing pin. I had to repeatedly flush mine out with gun scrubber to get all the gunk out of those cavities. Enjoy your new pistol and please let us know how it runs!

·
Super Moderator
35,564 Posts
It is a thrill to acquire a new toy/tool of the firing variety! Show us a picture if you can and I am definitely looking forward to the range report as well. Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web. Congrats on your new gun. This was going to come sooner or later ....

:nopics:

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congratulations on your new PT709, Luci!

My 740 Slim was also slathered in the packing preservative too; but I'd rather it arrive like that, than to arrive brand new with rusted areas.

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, I am sure that you will enjoy your new addition.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hello Luci, congrats on your new companion; I hope you like it as much as I do mine;;

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally had a chance to try my new 709. Impressive I must say for a new pistol. I did manage to get a 2" group @ 21' with 7 rounds. I still have to move the group right about 3". Not sure if it was me pulling or that it is a new gun. I should get out this weekend for an extensive shoot. I did have one jam up but I think it was my fault. I learned you have to seat the mag of new rounds before you put it in the gun. Did that for all the rest without another incident.

First impression, pretty nice!

Luci

·
32,481 Posts
Yep, the trigger takes a bit of practice and getting used to. Lighter pistols are hard to hold on target and get high grade accuracy out of. Not that it cannot be done, just that small very tight groups are not a pocket pistol fact...... normally. Yes, there are happy exceptions to that.

Sounds like you're doing well with it so far.

It took me a few range trips and dry fire practice with snap caps to get the feel for the trigger pull and follow through.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts