Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across yet another holster for my Taurus 66 in a reloading supply shop on Monday. Didn't really need another holster but it had a couple of features that I liked.
It's a BlackHawk brand Sportster, Ambidextrous with a Thumb Break retention strap (size 2).

The fit is perfect! The trigger and guard are nearly completely covered (an important consideration IMHO). I like also that the method for attaching the Thumb Break retention straps is more that merely pressing the "hook" portion of the strap against the "loop" portion on the holster. A "special tool" (strip of plastic) is required to place, adjust or remove the straps and allows for precise placement. I will mention that I immediately swapped out the plastic retention strapage for a nylon retention strap (of course, with a thumb break) that I had in my "extra stuff bin". It fits better, looks better and I expect it will function just as well. A spring metal clip is also included to allow for IWB use but I'm not so sure I'll be using it in that fashion. To me the 66 is just a bit to bulky for that but I'm sure that some do carry that way.

I found it on the "clearance table" but it was still in the original package and it didn't look shopworn. I tried to get a few specifics from the internet and it's looking like the model is no longer in production (the specific part # at least). Priced at just under $14 it was by no means "deeply" discounted and perhaps pretty close to the MSRP.

I have to say, it's not a whole lot different than the most recent holster I picked up.

The Thumb Break strap is an improvement and I believe the belt loop is more sturdy. Overall, I'm liking the new holster but that might only be until another one strikes my fancy.;)

Flex

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
I am a big fan of thumb break retention strap holsters as well; especially for revolvers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts