Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That's right pawdner I gobbled up one of the new Rossi M92's. The folks at KYGUNCO told me the new plant in Brazil is now in operation, although most of the lever guns are shipping to other countries. But hopefully the drought is over and these lever guns should start hitting the shelves. I searched for almost three months and even considered over paying for one on Gunbroker - but on an off chance I checked KYGUNCO, because they often get new Taurus product before others do, and sure enough they had these:
P1030308bb.jpg
This cost me a total of $539. It is the 20" stainless model chambered in 357/38. The overall weight unloaded is 6lbs 2.7oz's.
P1030310bb.jpg
Overall length is 37", the LOP is 13" and the trigger pull measures at 4.5lbs. The trigger breaks cleanly and has a very short reset. It holds 10 rounds of 357 or 38 in the tube magazine.
P1030304bb.jpg
So lets talk about some of the internet comments on Rossi lever guns. Many reviewers had concerns with stock and buttplate fitting. I found no proud offsets of the stock,forearm or buttplate. All is fitted pretty well. While the buttplate is matched well to the stock, there is a slight angle to the buttplate neck mounting arm. The photo is exaggerating it, but it is noticeable. But all edges were properly sanded down and polished to fit good.
P1030305bb.jpg
The tang fits perfectly to the stock. The other internet concerns were with the action. I am not sure how their's was but the action on this rifle is smooth. It won't need any polishing. I may polish the feed ramp and lifter in the future. Also concerns were mentioned regarding feeding cone shaped HP's. I had no issues. In fact I used 6 different types of 38 and 357 with no issues at all.
P1030306bb.jpg
These 5" dirty birds were shot off shoulder at 25 yards, the only ammo where the POI drifted was Remington HTP 357 SJHP. The rest shot very accurately. I ran 38 LRN,SJHP in 158 grn, Hornady 38 SD HP, both custom and lite. Also ran 150grn 38+P HP's, along with two kinds of 158 grn 357 JHP and LRN's. All shot to POA. There is no recoil even with 357 loads. All fed well. One thing I did address was the loading gate area. It wasn't sharp , but a little uncomfortable after loading several rounds. So I did a light sanding with 1500 grit followed by a polish with mothers and now the edges are much more comfortable. The rifle came from Rossi with just a few small mars to the stainless receiver, but that is just me being nitpicky. Neat thing about stainless is I can always polish out imperfections or scratches I put on it. I am impressed with this version of the Rossi lever guns, and will probably, next year start looking for a 16" barrel version to go along with this one. Oh and the new Judge jumped onto the table - it is sooo vain.

·
Registered
829 Posts
That is one good looking tool to add to the shed. I am glad to hear that it is functioning well. Nice pix and good shooting. Enjoy it.
Hopefully you have a pair of .357 revolvers to strap on when take that puppy for a walk.

·
Super Moderator
37,500 Posts
I'm going to have to get a napkin to wipe the drool from my mouth. Sounds like you've got a winner! I may have to find one at a shop to fondle if the inventories do build up.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Beautiful rifle! Congrats! I want a stainless model in .45 sooooooo bad. It's on my list! Glad to hear a good report.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Good looking rifle! It's good to know they will become more available. In looking at those rifles I'm torn between the 16" and the 20" but the SS is definitely the way to go.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
That is one good looking tool to add to the shed. I am glad to hear that it is functioning well. Nice pix and good shooting. Enjoy it.
Hopefully you have a pair of .357 revolvers to strap on when take that puppy for a walk.
Single Action Revolvers and then go Cowboy Action Shooting.....

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Great rifle!
I could be an ass and post a pic of my Rossi Puma .357 16" barrel brass receiver with the big loop and deep bluing......................;)

·
Super Moderator
35,426 Posts
Mines 35 years old, still love it. The aperture sight really helped it. I hated the buckhorn that came on it.

·
Super Moderator
35,426 Posts
BTW, do they still make the .454?

·
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, do they still make the .454?
I doubt it - I am only seeing 357 and 45lc so far. Rossi/Taurus has a real opportunity to get market share with these rifles. Will they grab it - or continue to mediocre themselves into oblivion?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Beautiful. I like your Rossi and your porch, which looks a lot like the porch on my cabin.

I wanted one of these really badly for awhile, but the lack of availability and lack of funds made me lose interest out of pure necessity. Now I'm trying to get my hands on a Mossberg Shockwave 12 Gauge FDE by Christmas, but I'm glad to see that they may become available in the States once more and that they appear to be well made judging by your example.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
On my wish list for some day.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I have one in .357 and love it, now I want one in .44.

·
Super Moderator
35,426 Posts
See, I think a stainless .454 would be the ultimate Alaskan carry, not that I'll ever visit the place, just see a lot of threads on boards about bear guns. Of course, these threads are dominated by people like me who've never been north of Wisconsin and never seen a brown bear in the wild. :laugh: But, the gun combines power with portability like no .45/70 Marlin ever did. :D The .45/70 has power, but would be a lunk to lug around all day while fishing.

For me, though, the .357 is perfect. It's got the power of a .30-30 up close and can kill deer sized game to 100 yards, yet loaded with light .38s, it can do small game or can be the perfect plinker. I shot mine a lot when .22LR was hard to get. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts