Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I have a really nice Taurus model 80 revolver I bought a few months ago. This gun is basiclly a the same as a Smith & Wesson model 10. It is a 38 special caliber with a 4 inch barrel. I'd like to know a little more about it. I input the serial number on the Taurus website but Taurus has no records for it because apparently is is too old. The serial number is 1486190. On the gun it says INT. DIST. INC. MIAMI, FL. On the barrel is stamped CAL. 38 SPECIAL. I have attached a picture of the gun. I'm hoping someone out there could tell me the approximate date of manufacture and any other info about the gun. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I don't think there is a reference for the older cow head models. I have one as well and have hit a wall trying to figure year of manufacture. The records are either lost or Taurus just doesn't care to open the boxes of papers. If someone can figure it, I would love to know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I think it is a really good gun. I read somewhere that Taurus licensed the Smith & Wesson model 10 design and even obtained tooling from S&W to make this gun. I keep it at home for personal defense and loaded with Hornaday Critical Defense ammo. You can't beat the reliability of this type of revolver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi:

I have a really nice Taurus model 80 revolver I bought a few months ago. This gun is basiclly a the same as a Smith & Wesson model 10. It is a 38 special caliber with a 4 inch barrel. I'd like to know a little more about it. I input the serial number on the Taurus website but Taurus has no records for it because apparently is is too old. The serial number is 1486190. On the gun it says INT. DIST. INC. MIAMI, FL. On the barrel is stamped CAL. 38 SPECIAL. I have attached a picture of the gun. I'm hoping someone out there could tell me the approximate date of manufacture and any other info about the gun. Thanks
I have a 6 inch barrel made between 1973 and 1981here in Brazil and found out the attached could help you in the US (maybe?). I have also sent an email to Taurus costumer service here ([email protected]) with the serial number and they have replied with the correct model and year that it was made. Hope it helps

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
From May 29th, 1980, Taurus replaced hammer-mounted firing pin by frame-mounted firing pin, starting with serial number 1399477.

Before this, there's some lots with both firing pin types.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From May 29th, 1980, Taurus replaced hammer-mounted firing pin by frame-mounted firing pin, starting with serial number 1399477.

Before this, there's some lots with both firing pin types.
Hi Erick, could you help me with my serial number 1160354. I am trying to get an approximated year it was made. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi Erick, could you help me with my serial number 1160354. I am trying to get an approximated year it was made. Thanks in advance.
November 1st, 1977, barrel rifling was replaced from 6 grooves to 5 grooves, starting with SN 1156971.

June, 1978. Serial number 1212980. Grooves on cylinder flutes were eliminated.

Your serial number is between both It. Probably December, 1977 or January, 1978.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts