Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally picked up my first firearm! Picked it up yesterday afternoon, and it sat in my car while I was at work for the entire day/night.

Got home snapped some pictures and did a little cleaning on it, changed the grips. Polished a couple things, the feedramp, and barrel.

Plan on doing some other things for it, but honestly this thing feels very solid to me. I was expecting a lot of garbage after so many people were like it's horrible..bla bla bla.

I'm very impressed, I field stripped it last night and plan to detail strip it tomorrow after I am done shooting tonight. I can't see any milling marks or anything like that. The gun doesn't feel heavy to me at all. It's nice solid feeling to it.

Overall we'll see how it shoot tonight, i'm super excited!

Then changed grips:

Never field stripped a 1911 ever, not bad I guess... it was actually pretty easy, just make sure the spring doesn't hit your face..lol

Crappy picture of the polished feed ramp:

-Nigel

Administrator
You're gonna love that thing. Mine makes me look good most of the time. I ran the 6,354th round through mine Wednesday, and today its getting a nice cleaning. I can't say enough good about these pistols, at least mine. I'm pretty proud of it. Mines the SS model.

Enjoy your new pistola! :thumb:

Registered
PT1911 is a nice way to start collecting guns. And believe me, you have just begun. It's an addiction. I'm picking up my PT1911AL today at noon. I can't wait to strip, clean, lube, and shoot it. I've got 15 mags all loaded and ready.

Congrats!

:guns:

Reactions: Mrs.Lefty13

Registered
Nothing like starting at the top! Congratulations on your PT1911. I like mine a bunch.

Registered
Very nice pickup and the grips look amazing.
Contrary to the popular belief outside this forum, Taurus makes a very quality firearm. Hell, how many companies can claim to not only make the weapon but to also make the machines that makes their weapons? People think that due to the price tag a Taurus is junk, and sure there have been some junk Tauri out there, but there have been junk Colt, Junk Springfield, Junk Kimber....etc I could go on forever. In my experience, most Taurus haters have never held a Taurus let alone Fire one. Your PT1911, is of the quality of the Kimber Custom TLE II, My buddy and I compared the 2 weapons side by side, and other than the checkering, Abidex safety, Sights, and some machining (spacing of the notches on slide front and rear) oh and the size of the holes in the skeleton trigger, manufacturer name and serial number, the weapons are Identical. However, I placed better groupings at 7, 10 and 25 with the Taurus and then he did the same to me when we switched weapons. Also the Kimber factory mags had this bump on the follower that wouldn't allow the last round to feed from the magazine. Not saying the Kimber is better or that the PT1911 is better, just that we came to the decision that I got a better gun at almost 500 dollars less than he paid. He has since added a PT1911 to his collection and now carries it in his rotation of CCW's. The Kimber is now a range/safe queen. Just sayin.

Registered
I had to sell the first one I bought and let me tell you I miss it. Hope to pick up the stainless one I put on layaway sometime this month. Congratulations on the new gun and welcome to the forum.

Registered
Congrats on the 1911, i'm sure you're gonna love it.

Registered
Nice new 1911! You are gonna love it!

Registered
Nice start out of the gate.

I think you will have a hard time finding anyone on this forum to talk bad about your choice in firearms.

Paul

Registered
Congrats to BOTH Willboat and NewShocker on their 1911's. Bought my 1911AL about 8 months ago and still paw it frequently until I can get back out to the range to shoot it.

As someone else mentioned... love! the grips shocker. Where did you get em'?

Registered
Congratulations on your new firearm.

Super Moderator
Congratulations on your new PT 1911. I have had my PT 1911 SS for over three years now (in fact it's how I found this forum) and would be hard pressed to trade it for a pistol I wanted more. It's my most fired handgun. I had the Pachmyr ALS grips on mine also, hten switched to a pair of Caspian wooden grips for a smaller grip circumference.

PT1911 C.jpg PT1911 C1.JPG

Registered
Beautiful! You couldn't have done any better than pick a 1911 -- and a Taurus one at that for your first firearm!

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
Congrats on your acquisition of one of the finest handguns made by Taurus!:thumb:

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Went to the range last night and shot about 100 rounds through it. Not one problem. My friend didn't get the taurus because he said he read that the didn't shoot hollow points.

I said, I'm almost positive people on the forums are shooting them. Shot everything from 185grain fmj, to 230 grain fmg, steel cases, and hollow points.
He was really impressed. He had a kimber to boot.

Overall very pleased with it. A blast to shoot, just have to work on my aiming / trying to target with both eyes open.
I seem have a hard time seeing stuff at 20ft on the target and being small... but I guess you just start getting used to it and get better.

Didn't have any jams or stove pipes either.

I like it!

-Nigel

Registered
Finally picked up my first firearm! Picked it up yesterday afternoon, and it sat in my car while I was at work for the entire day/night.
-Nigel
well congradulations!
its actually good that you choose tee 1911, I mean if you had gotten something else you would still have wanted a 1911.
thats just kind of the way it goes.
all my 1911's feed any ammo flawlessly!
the only probelm child that i have ever had in a 1911 was a Colt Officers model in stainless years ago that simply would not digest hollow points of that era, that was long ago however.

Super Moderator
Thanks for the range report! They can run like a clock with proper maintenance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts