Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
Cool, I hope that "200" is "2000"!

· Registered
20,098 Posts
Congrats...I had to walk away from paying 39.99 for a box of 9mm at a LGS. Almost a dollar a bullet. Just can't do it.
That was for 50 bullets - OBSCENE!! :mad:

Reactions: darbo

· Registered
18,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cool, I hope that "200" is "2000"!
I wish it was 2000! These days it's buy little bits as I can afford and/or find them!

I did do a little test at the range today. I tried some 125 grain conical cast lead bullets. I had never run cast lead through my 9mm Beretta. They worked real nice. I can buy 500 for $35. They should make great range and IDPA ammo.....as long as I can find primers and powder!

PS: FKL I got them at Spacecoast Bullets. They gave me 10 for free to try out.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Get this. My good friend and hunting partner went to a LGS (a pretty large one) to pay on a .40 cal he has layed away there. Finds out that their new ammo policy is 1 box (no bulk packs or "bricks") per FAMILY, per week!! I don't know how they can keep track of who belongs to what family but wow! The only good thing is they are charging normal prices although a 50rd box of .22 is $1 higher than before the insanity.

· Super Moderator
42,113 Posts
Great news, congrats! I have an order pending with them for 2,000 of the .45 ACP 230 gr and I am hoping that mine show up on the doorstep soon also.

· Registered
18,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Get this. My good friend and hunting partner went to a LGS (a pretty large one) to pay on a .40 cal he has layed away there. Finds out that their new ammo policy is 1 box (no bulk packs or "bricks") per FAMILY, per week!! I don't know how they can keep track of who belongs to what family but wow! The only good thing is they are charging normal prices although a 50rd box of .22 is $1 higher than before the insanity.
Maybe they have to wear an armband or something! Maybe a handstamp! This whole thing has really gotten so far out of hand. I'm glad I reload. While supplies are hard to find I have been able to piece things together by paying attention and buying when I can find a few supplies.

· Registered
4,046 Posts
I'm still waiting for an order (9mm and 45 ACP) I placed 2/6/13 from Friendswood Bullets (Quality Cast seller). According to the phone message they are now working on orders from the last week in January and first week in February so perhaps I will get them soon. I also ordered some 45 Colt and 45-70 from Badman bullets and got them in 6 days. I also got 500 each of 9mm and 45 ACP FMJ from Delta Precision but it took 2 weeks.

· Registered
549 Posts
Pretty common around here. There is a shop here who has all kinds of ammo at good prices. They generally have trouble stocking 223 and 9, but do t limit your purchases.

· Premium Member
17,743 Posts
My problem is I need .357 diameter lead bullets for my PT92. The bore is a bit oversize, the .356's lead badly and group on a garbage can lid at 10 yards. The .357's don't lead and the group tightens up to what one would expect. My PT609 is fine with the .356's.

I usually order from Dardas because you can pick your sizing diameter, most places just offer the .356 in 9mm. I've got enough loaded for now but I'm going to place an order soon as Dardas is quoting 6-8 weeks.

I've toyed with the idea of just always ordering the largest diameter and resizing down as I need to for different guns. The Lee sizers are cheap and fast.

I've shot nothing but lead for decades, a little extra cleaning is needed with revolvers, but they are a lot less expensive.

· Super Moderator
42,113 Posts
My problem is I need .357 diameter lead bullets for my PT92. The bore is a bit oversize, the .356's lead badly and group on a garbage can lid at 10 yards. The .357's don't lead and the group tightens up to what one would expect. My PT609 is fine with the .356's.

I usually order from Dardas because you can pick your sizing diameter, most places just offer the .356 in 9mm. I've got enough loaded for now but I'm going to place an order soon as Dardas is quoting 6-8 weeks.

I've toyed with the idea of just always ordering the largest diameter and resizing down as I need to for different guns. The Lee sizers are cheap and fast.

I've shot nothing but lead for decades, a little extra cleaning is needed with revolvers, but they are a lot less expensive.
Does RanchDog sell finished bullets or just the molds? I do know that he deals in custom sizes.

· Premium Member
17,743 Posts
Does RanchDog sell finished bullets or just the molds? I do know that he deals in custom sizes.
Just molds but I think he's given up the mold business to concentrate on other things. He did once list a source for bullets cast from his molds, but being hand cast they were rather expensive.

Back in the day when I was casting, I never cast for the 9mm so I'm not sure about this but I think most 9mm molds will throw a .357 diameter bullet, but as always some will throw large, some smaller, depending on alloy and individual molds. If (when?) I take up casting again I'll just have to try some and see. Another option is there are several .38/.357 bullets that would cast out a tad larger that could be used.

.357 diameter is available from several commercial casters, just not from everybody so it limits your sources.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.