Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my last good review - I am motivated to work harder in the next 6 months - and get another good review and a bonus/raise in the next quarter.

And my goal to have enough cash to get the single stack 9 that I want. I am leaning towards the XDs and the S&W Shield 9. I love my recently acquired BG380 and have had the chance to pick up and feel the Shield at my local Fleet Farm. I loved the feel of the gun in my hands.

Now, I have not had the chance to pick up a XDs 9 and was wondering if anyone here had the chance to do so. More importantly anyone who has had a chance to compare the two - how does the XDs compare to the Shield? Specifically trigger pull?

Any inputs/thoughts!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I looked at the XD series and the Shield series, and selected the Shield in .40 as my off duty and BUG.
The trigger is excellent, and it has been utterly reliable. It is also made in USA.

I agree that the Shield fees good in the hand.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the XD series and the Shield series, and selected the Shield in .40 as my off duty and BUG.
The trigger is excellent, and it has been utterly reliable. It is also made in USA.

I agree that the Shield fees good in the hand.
If you don't mind me asking, what damage did the Shield do to your wallet?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, cool! Fleet Farm had the Shield for 429. Am sure I can get my LGS to find one for about 70 bucks cheaper.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
OK, cool! Fleet Farm had the Shield for 429. Am sure I can get my LGS to find one for about 70 bucks cheaper.
If you can find Shields for $329 - $379, BUY ALL THAT YOU CAN

That may be a record low price! Even at my regional police supply store, an authorized S&W police distributor, they are $404.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was desperately looking for a shield in 9mm months ago and after all the wasted time I gave up, I ended up buying the ruger lc9 and absolutely love it and haven't looked back. The shield is a great gun but for me the lc9 fits alot better. Jmo

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I was desperately looking for a shield in 9mm months ago and after all the wasted time I gave up, I ended up buying the ruger lc9 and absolutely love it and haven't looked back. The shield is a great gun but for me the lc9 fits alot better. Jmo

Agreed that an LC9 is a fine pistol; I carried one daily for about a year until I replaced it with the .40 Shield.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have the XD9SC. Got it a little over a year ago. Between me and my wife, we have 500+ rounds thru it. I know I have had a couple FTF and FTE, but it was pretty much ammo issues. It does have a long trigger pull for my taste, but it's not gritty or sluggish. Springfield boasts that the XD series are truly a "well balanced point and shoot" platform and I'm here to tell ya that it is true. Every time I rapidly draw and raise it the 3 dots are pretty much aligned along the barrel. Most of my other pistols, especially the longer barrels, requires me having to quickly lift and or move right or left to bring in the front sight to the rear. It's an excellent shooter at 7 and 10 yards even with my bad eyesight. As long as it's lubed the slide is very silky.

Recently my wife passed her CHL with this pistol and has now declared it hers along with her Taurus Ti .44Spl. Here's a couple of pics to compare it with some of my others.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The S&W Shield has proven itself to be utterly reliable over the past year or so.

The XDs had initial QC issues in the .45 ACP version.....that may have been worked out.

Here's what sells the Shield over the XDs for me:

It's about $100 less than the Springer and feels just as good, if not better, in my hand.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
As far as I know the XDs is only out in 45acp right now, but the 9mm is on the way. I have a Shield 9mm & I love it. Fits my hand just perfect. Shoots well too. The XDs is a fine piece, but I like the Shield.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The XDs 9 has a better trigger than the XDs45 for some reason in my experience. With that said, the XDs45 has a way better trigger than the Shield, so the XDs9 is just miles ahead of the S&W. Reset on the shield suuuucks. Reset on the XDs9 is fantastic, plus a better pull.
Both are nice guns, I prefer the Shield grip a little over the XDs grip. Size is about identical. XDs is built a little better. The XDs 9 is ACCURATE. Really accurate. Cant go wrong either way.
If you're basing it off the trigger though, the XDs9 (and specifically the 9) wins hands down no question over the Shield.

As far as I know the XDs is only out in 45acp right now, but the 9mm is on the way. I have a Shield 9mm & I love it. Fits my hand just perfect. Shoots well too. The XDs is a fine piece, but I like the Shield.

It was released recently.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hickok 45 has a video on YouTube already. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Reactions: 24/7 compact

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hickok 45 has a video on YouTube already. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7
Really, COOL... Leave it to ole hickok to get one right away. I'm headed there now :D

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really, COOL... Leave it to ole hickok to get one right away. I'm headed there now :D
I was on my tablet earlier this morning, but now that I am using a proper computer...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the XDs 45 and the 9mm Shield and personally, I'd take the XDs in a heartbeat. I like the feel of both and having only put 50 rounds through each, I liked the way the XDs shot. It's more accurate and has more stopping power. That being said, I wouldn't give up my Shield either. With the right rounds (Black Talons) it will be just as devistating. The XDs dosen't have very much more kick than the Shield! I won't ever get rid of either one, it's just that the XDs get's more carry time.;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have the XDs 45 and the 9mm Shield and personally, I'd take the XDs in a heartbeat. I like the feel of both and having only put 50 rounds through each, I liked the way the XDs shot. It's more accurate and has more stopping power. That being said, I wouldn't give up my Shield either. With the right rounds (Black Talons) it will be just as devistating. The XDs dosen't have very much more kick than the Shield! I won't ever get rid of either one, it's just that the XDs get's more carry time.;)
Thats the big thing I love about the XDs, especially the 9, it is SO frickin accurate!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts