Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a pistol out of the Taurus realm possibly two. I have 9mm as my caliber of choice.

From Glock the 19 for sure but possibly also the 17
From Springfield the XD 4" or the subcompact
From Smith & Wesson the compact or full size 9mm, maybe even the VTAC's offering

I'd like to know your thoughts on these 3 mfg's, I won't mix and match if I get a glock I'll get two if I get a springer I'll get two, ya get it right? I want commonality and ease of transition between the full size and compact versions.

I found a private FFL that will sell me any of these weapons for his dealer costs plus a $25 transfer fee, he also extends that offer to dealer priced ammo, plus shipping costs. He's a pretty good guy, not real knowledgeable but try's hard.

I know in the end it matters what feels right in my hand, and luckily I know someone who owns each of these mfg's weapons so I'll get to try 'em out.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Myself I like the Springfields best they are great firearms and never had a problem with them that wasn't my fault. They are great shooters and real good looking firearm. The Glock is everything the Springfields are but I think they are alittle dull looking. I have no personal experiance with S&W Pistols I only owned their revolvers.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've got a 12 year old Glock 17. Other than 2 ammo-related malfunctions, it has been flawless/reliable. The first 3 or 4 years that I owned it I never cleaned it. When I did clean it I rarely oiled it. The gun will shoot accurately and reliably clean or dirty, bone dry or dripping with oil. I used to take alot of week-long canoe trips down the river and this is the gun I'd take. The gun stayed wet for a week, in my holster. At the end of every day, I would clear the mag and the round in the chamber. Then I would submerge the Glock in the river and work the action and trigger until I worked all the sand out of it. After that I'd spray the barrel/slide assembly with Rem oi and put it back in the wet holster and it never rusted. Smith & Wesson and Springfield make fine weapons. I've shot both but just from personal experience, I'd trust my life on the Glock. As a matter of fact that Glock is on my wife's nightstand with a Streamlight TLR2. Simple reliability. I know my wife can handle it and she trusts it too.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Id never own another Glock as I had nothing but problems with both I had and "MOST" think Glock is the greatest thing to ever hit the gun market and look donw on most other brands cuz "nothings as good as a glock (heard that a few times)!!

Springfield XDs are great guns and that will actually be my next comp gun when my wife is ready to take over the OSS. I like the way they feel and they are all and all a damn nice package.

S&W I honestly never cared for personally. They all felt too big, heavy and IMO ugly especially the poly guns.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Take down on the XD is a snap. Pull the slid back, flip the lever up and release the slide then pull the trigger and the slide comes right off. This is the reason I don't like Glocks all that much. I want to like them but I can't field strip one for the life of me. No experience with M&P's but from what I have seen it looks like they come apart in the same fashion as the XD's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the XDs best. They just seem like a better gun. Anbody that tells you glocks are more reliable is just feeding into the glock hype. Other pistols have passed the same rigourous testing in sand,mud, dropping, and getting ran over with a truck. The pistols that passed were the XD, M&P, and the 24/7 oss. A glock is simple though, and good for a LEO. Not knocking the glock at all, it has its place and is a good pistol.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
well IF I was interested in getting another SA/DA carry pistol from the list then i would get the S & W (M & P), I simply like the feel, the accuracy of the weapon better than the other two listed.
they are all good weapons but as you say it boils down to what works for you and in your hands.
My carry weapon choice was the Beretta PX4 SC, and honestly if i was going to get any carry pistol thats what i would get again.
went to the range with it today, 100 rounds fired from 5 yards to 25 yards and shot 2 groups of about 5 inches, one in the head , one in the chest, thats why "I" would get the beretta again, it fits "me"!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I have no experience with the M&P so will refrain from commenting on it. I've owned an XD 45 Tactical in the past and currently own a Glock 22. I can't recall the XD ever having any failures to feed, fire or eject, it was simply a fantastic pistol and now I regret parting with it. My G22 has had a few failures to feed, never any when firing and one failure to eject. This only happens with the factory .40 barrel. When I switch to the Lone Wolf .357 Sig barrel it's flawless. That's how it's been for me, YMMV.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
Of the 3 the OP listed I prefer the GLOCK.

I've had great service from several M-19's & M-17's that I've owned.

Though ugly they still have cleaner none snag lines and are lighter.

And through rugged, the brand isn't perfect. Their grips don't fit my hands near as well as the Taurus PT Mil Pro series.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I really don't like the Glock and those like it-which your 3 choices are. I just sold my XD and my son got the Glock. Never had the M&P.
Have you looked at a FNX? or a CZ P-01? The FNX only weighs 22 oz, holds 17 rounds and has a good da/sa trigger with decocker/safety. The CZ is about 28 oz, low profile- only 5" tall, all steel 14 rounds, good da/sa trigger w/decocker. Both totally different from what you are looking at, and both awesome guns.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Shokr21, if you get a chance to handle a XD SubCompact then do so. Ask the LGS about Springfield's "Point and Shoot" ability and you will see how well balanced that pistol is in your hands. Find a spot about 10' away and quickly raise and lower the XD..do it several times. You will see that literally within a second the rear sights are right on the front sight..its an amazing thing. None of my other hand guns will do that, it takes another second and half to two seconds to raise the front end to align the 3 sights. Try that with a Glock and a MP too and you will see what I am talking about.

And yes, I love my XD9 SC and I have 4 other Tauri's.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow fellas thanks for the responses!!!

The reason I'm looking at these 3 is their aftermarket attraction and a little bit of their price point, I qualify for the Glock and S&W mil/le discount, I haven't found if XD's have these discounts but they're the cheapest of the 3 with no discount taken into consideration.

I'll take a look at FNX and CZ thanks I hadn't even thought of those

I don't know that I'd replace my pt111 right away or ever as my EDC. My FFL got back to me, and his deals were not as great as I had expected, as in I've found better pricing online!

Anyways thanks for your replies and keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
My Glock gets carried more all the time. They are simple accurate, and reliable. Like my revolvers.

·
21,932 Posts
I owned a XD in .45 and it was a solid gun. I sold it after I bought the M&P. I own a Glock 17 because you
can't shoot a Glock match with a M&P.

I now own 3 M&P's and a M&P 15 so I would recommend the Smith out of these 3.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would suggest an XDm over an XD, (personal preference). I carry an M&P compact .40 daily. Glocks are like the Chevy small block of guns, millions manufactured, parts and accessories are plentiful, and they're reliable. I guess I'm not much help because I own all 3 brands. The Glock has a grip angle that is my least favorite. That being said, fondle all 3 and get some trigger time on each, then go from there. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I really like my M&P 9 compact! It's reliable, accurate and easy to conceal plus it's made in the USA. and a lifetime service warranty.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So basically what you all are saying is I can't make a bad choice!? Geesh you guys sure are a lot of help! ha

I'm able to get the Glock LE discount which last I looked is just under $400 for any of their small caliber offerings 9mm/40/357sig. That's what's really pushing me towards them. I thought S&W had a deal similar but haven't been able to find anything. If it's between $50 that decides between any model that's negligible, otherwise I'll just have to wait a little longer.

Again thanks for the help here fellas.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts