Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my newest member of the clan----An XD-9 sub-compact. Got it on sale at my local dealer for $429+tax. Couldn't pass it up and since I have other XD's (45 ACP compact and 9mm service in OD green) I know from experience that I would be satisfied. It's a little heavier than my PT145 but its dimensions are smaller. Pics will follow soon when I get my camera working again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just wondering if you compared the XD-sc with a Glock-sc? If you did, I'd like to read your opinions on the two.

In my small AZ town, we only have one REAL gun store and they always seem to price the weapons at the maximum amount possible. They will not accept counter offers. Their theory is...... "If you don't like it, go some place else."

While there, I did handle a G26 and an XD-sc and I really liked the XD much better. The look, the feel, just everything on the XD screamed, "Buy me!" But with their rip-off prices, I'm looking elsewhere.

Range report? .............. Pics?

g19erusa

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pricewise the Glock subs are around $50-60 more than the XD's.

I really do not like the sub compact Glocks for some reason. They just do not feel good in my hand. Don't get me wrong, I love Glocks and have a few (G19, G21, G17).
I just feel the XD is a MUCH better value in the sub-compact market than the baby Glocks. The XD sub actually feels like and XD when you hold it. The Glock, IMO, does not.

Will post range report when I get a chance to get there...been pretty busy lately.

Pics will come when my new camera arrives.

Where are you in AZ? Do a gun locator on
http://www.galleryofguns.com/gunlocator/locatorstart.asp

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks NYPD in AZ, for the link. I'll check out Davidson's.

I'm in Bullhead City. I think there are maybe two gun stores in Kingman, which isn't too far from me.

I like Glocks as well, but that XD, man, it just felt right. I have doubts about the need for that lil' ol' rail, but who knows?

g19erusa

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I did a similar comparison myself a few years ago. The G26 was smaller but it didn't point well for me. And I liked the grip safety as well. I've shot and handled mine so much that an XD with a full length grip (either a full sized model or using a grip adapter on an extended mag) doesn't feel right. The pinkie grip baseplate works find but I ended up taking them off. Maybe I'll put one on a mag again and see how it goes.

Steelheart

·
Registered
119 Posts
The big difference between the two is the grip angle. Many XD'ers say Glocks don't feel right. I like the grip safety of the XD. I'm more assured I won't shoot my leg when I holster.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The XD 9mm Tactical and XD 9mm subcompact are both on my short list of future gun purchases. I really need to win the powerball. :)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Just an update, I finally did put a pinky extension on one mag and have left it on. Yes, I lose a little bit of conceal-abilty but I feel that the enhanced shoot-abilty makes up for it.

A 9mm Tactical is something I'm thinking about too. When I already have a 3" I don't feel that the 4" is enough of an increase. I'd rather have the longer sight radius and extra 2" worth of velocity. Plus I've already got a couple long mags for mine.

Steelheart

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the XD-9 subcompact and it's great. By way of comparison, I once owned the mini-glock 27 .40, and the XD-9 is much easier for me to shoot well. I am one of those folks that don't feel much difference in the recoil of a 9 vs. 40, by the way. There are significant differences between the two regarding grip and trigger. It was much easier for me to stay on target and hit the spot I was aiming at with the XD-9.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts