Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting for my game. Night one. A red Fox. Night two, another or maybe the same red fox. Where oh where is Mr. Coyote? I am sorta attached to the Red Fox, lucky for him. Where is my coyote??! Of all the game in the world, I have never loved or respected an animal so much. Bested again.
View attachment 108573

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They are smart critters.
Smart indeed. I don't know near enough about these majestic animal. They are fast becoming my favorite obsession. I have always been pretty good at animal sign. Even fox, I've got that, but coyotes are ghost. I have found one pile of coyote scat that I feel pretty good about. Tracks coyote vs dog still trips me up. Then on the way back home there he is watching me calmly. God I love'em :)

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Kidding!!! I saw a photo pf one that an old boy took not to far from here. It was lounging in the back of an old Blazer that was rusting out behind a barn. I never imagined one doing that. I am brand new to coyote hunting. I stop squirrel hunting in February even though it's still season because too many have already started to nest. That just doesn't seem right to me. So before and after spring turkey, I am thinking coyote. It is harder than I have dreamed.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Very smart and adaptable critters, I think they could make it on the moon. They wise up really fast. For years the coyote hunters here would sit on hill tops and someone would "shoot out " the timbered draws with .22's and 9mm's or SKS's to flush them into the open . They tell me this know longer works, they just sit tight. They have to use dogs to flush them out now.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
That is an amazing photo! Did you take that?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Calls work well but do not call in the same area very often. I kill several around home every year, most are younger dumb ones. I carry a good handgun when working outside and most are targets of opportunity. A mouse squeak call works well, you can make the same noise sucking on the back of your hand with practice. When calling less is better and hunting with a friend helps. One of us always uses a shotgun in good cover. Have fun.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
They have moved all the way through Florida to South Florida. A co-worker got one while hog hunting in S. Florida a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
Yotes are easy to bring into view.. get your neighbor's yorkie or some other less than desirable ankle biter and jab it in the butt with a sharp stick. the yapping will bring out all the yotes.
In all seriousness, hunting for Yotes is opportunity hunting as they will not make mistakes twice unless they're young and stupid. You will have to find their patterns and as they will tend to keep to them for a week or so then move on.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
They will also eat fox, when you see your red fox watch it. They cut out when coyotes are around. So if it looks one way and takes off a different direction watch where it last looked. Same for any small game. Jays and crows are also attracted to coyotes sometimes. Crows raid their kill.

·
22,299 Posts
We've got one that I'm really keeping an armed eye out for. We've seen him three times, twice outside the walled yard, and once inside it! The last time I saw him, I walked to the edge of the wall at twilight, and darned if he wasn't 30 feet outside the wall. For some stupid reason, I wanted to get the dogs inside before I took a shot at him, but just as expected he was long gone by the time I got back out. Next time I won't be as distracted by trivialities.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
What caliber do you use for Coyotes?

Am thinking of heading out to woods with the new 30-30... 150 gr pills. Might be a bit overkill I think....

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Around here, most use their ar15. So .223 is fine for ours. I plan on trying my hand at bagging a few on the FIL's property. I'm thinking of borrowing an AR and having my shotgun with me as well.

Creek

·
Registered
612 Posts
When living in Tucson, they could be found all over town, in fairly large packs, as well. You might get a look, but they were indeed some crafty rascals.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts