Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, is anybody here using WW760 ? I was reloading some .30-30's and seems my favorite IMR is used up I thought I would try the WW760, on my third round I noticed flakes in the mix of the ball powder and stopped right there because I thought there may have been some left over unique in my powder trickler. I emptied the trickler onto a paper plate and there was more flakes, then I emptied the whole pound into a pie pan and there were a few more flakes. Now I'm concerned that I may have returned some unused powder from the trickler to the wrong container inadvertently and ruined the whole pound. Anybody know if WW760 has any flakes?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
760 is way too slow for 30-30 operating pressures, I suspect that the incomplete burn you are experiencing is simply that; incomplete. W748 is a much better choice for 30-30. I use 760 in 243, 270, and even some belted magnums.
Maybe you did mix powders, but I suspect low pressures and incomplete burn. You will find flattened balls in 760 and some other ball type powders. Before condemning the powder try a different one and load some 760 in a higher pressure cartridge and see what happens.

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
760 is way too slow for 30-30 operating pressures, I suspect that the incomplete burn you are experiencing is simply that; incomplete. W748 is a much better choice for 30-30. I use 760 in 243, 270, and even some belted magnums.
Maybe you did mix powders, but I suspect low pressures and incomplete burn. You will find flattened balls in 760 and some other ball type powders. Before condemning the powder try a different one and load some 760 in a higher pressure cartridge and see what happens.
The reason I was using the WW760 was because that is the only powder that have that can be loaded into a .30-30, my Lyman book shows up to 35.9 grains. I also believe that this was an unopened 1# container that I bought to use for my .25-06 when there was still reloading components available. But being the way things are today with everything being hard to find and having a pile of .30-30 brass, some Sierra 150 gn PFN bullets I thought I would have a go at it with what I have on hand. But the real question is: are there some flakes not many but a few in this powder? Or did I possibly contaminate it and thus ruin a perfectly good pound of powder? Note; I have yet to load anything with this powder as I noticed the flakes while weighing out the powder charges and returned everything back into the container.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I checked Hogdons pressure data. 760 is listed for 150 and 170 gr. bullets. No starting load, only a maximum recommendation and pressures are listed at 30,000 for both. That is more than 5,000 below the pressures achieved by faster powders. That leads to unburned powder.

·
Administrator
18,413 Posts
W760 DOES NOT have Flakes in it!!!

I use it for heavy Bullet Loadings in 7x57mm Mauser and .30/06.

For the .30-30, I would use it for 170 grain Bullets and in particular if you had a nice long barrel to burn it in.
Had a Marlin 336 with a short Magazine and 22 inch Barrel, years ago, which would probably have made good use of W760.

Otherwise, I would choose H335 or W748.

That said, these days, you can't be too fussy about what powder you can get your mitts on. It's use what you can get!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
May not be flakes but as I said, "flattened balls". The balls in ball powders are not uniformly the exact same dimension, there are variations. Reading a Winchester Hand loading brochure from the 70's, I find that it is so stated. Not flakes just misshapen balls. Older Hodgdon load guides stated that about H-110 and H-414 and maybe some other H-ball powders. I have 30 year old BLC-2 and H-380 that have granules that would be hard to describe as balls. Then if it is heated during a low pressure burn it can become deformed.
I poured some 760 into a clear glass container, old 760 in a steel can, and sure enough, easily identified misshapen balls thru out the the entire pour. Not a problem, just that nothing is 100% as described 100% of the time.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Load a few at mid pressure and watch for signs of over pressure. I bet 99.9% you will be fine.

·
Registered
37,060 Posts
I always used 748 for about anything under 308 capacity cases, including the 308.
I would go to 760 at about 30-06 case capacity.
actually i liked IMR powders best and used 3031 in the 30-30, and IMR4831 0r 4350 in the larger capacity cases, really couldn't tell much difference in either.

BUT to your question!
30-30 (170 grain projectile) (jacketed)-
win 760----29.6 gr start ---- 33.6 max--------1975 fps ---- 2.550 OAL
win 748----28.0 gr start ---- 32.0 gr. max-----2145 fps ---- 2.550 OAL

30-30 (150 Grain projectile)
Win 760 ----31.6 gr start --- 35.9 max -----2090 fps ---2.550 OAL
win 748 ----30.4 gr start -- 34.5 gr max ---2310 fps -----2.550 OAL
hope this helps!

Ball powders may be disfigured but basically are round in shape, flake powders are flat and kind of look like black corn flakes!!--LOL
now i am hungry!
I forget now how the balls are formed, seems like an introduction of the powder to Ether or soemthing and it forms balls?
anyway they are not all the same size.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems there so few of these "flakes" in this pound of WW760 I have decided to dump the pound a few oz at a time into a pie pan and use tweezers and pick out the "flakes" then try loading a few rounds. I will let you all know how it works out....

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I just looked at a can of 760 that I've had for years. The balls are not uniform size and some are flattened. If this is what you are describing then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
.452dia---- that is exactly what I found in both containers of my 760. One can was the old round steel can, the other is the black plastic square container. Contents appeared identical.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just looked at a can of 760 that I've had for years. The balls are not uniform size and some are flattened. If this is what you are describing then I wouldn't worry about it.
Yup, I reckon that is it. I went over to a buddy's house and we looked at his WW760, his looks like mine. The balls are all sorts of sizes with some being cubes and others flattened with some flattened so as to appear to be a flake. Thanks guys for your input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts