Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother brought this out of hiding the other day. He's got a sardine can full. What the heck should we do with it?

Is it safe?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
dont let the dust scare ya it's plenty safe to shoot.. and im willing to bet you 1USD that every single round will go bang..

personally i'd save it as a memento, but if you wanna shoot it i dont see any reason why not.

i've shot ammo from the 70's.. all of it went bang & i bet this will too.

·
Administrator
35,757 Posts
My gosh, just the box is probably worth alot of money - the ammo without the box would most likely be a lot less in value. Too bad there aren't a few extra to just run through your gun though - I'm sure they are safe to shoot, but I wouldn't........

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We've got 600 rounds all in the original packaging. I have no clue as to it's value.... I don't think he paid all that much for the metal carton.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
tman said:
We've got 600 rounds all in the original packaging. I have no clue as to it's value.... I don't think he paid all that much for the metal carton.
Oh gee, for collectors with the cartons, and metal container you could have some value there! I have not idea what collector would say, but if I was you all I would check it out.

·
Administrator
35,757 Posts
If one of the moderators don't have a clue about the value, you might email American Handgunner or one of the mags - sometimes they'll reply back on something like this, and sometimes they may even put your question and a picture in their magazine.......

·
Super Moderator
35,684 Posts
Let us know when you find out how much it's worth! I'm curious. I've had some of those boxes, still have some, none of the rounds, though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll do some checking. At first I thought they'd not be worth much at all.. I wish we hadn't open the case. :eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
tman said:
I'll do some checking. At first I thought they'd not be worth much at all.. I wish we hadn't open the case. :eek:
Hell if i had 600 rounds i'd test some of the round that stopped the Nazi scum

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i dunno, im sure people collect vintage ammo, it might have some worth but im betting it's not much..

i would'nt shoot it because it's WW-II era ammo & you can just buy some 45acp at wally world.. not because i would imagine it being worth a lot of money.. then again i could be wrong i'd be interested in hearing the verdict.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It really is collector stuff, to be honest good condition wartime ammo in american calibers bring premium prices due to the fact that we shot it all up or gave it away to other freedom loving nations. I don't have the figures on me but my advice is to leave it alone. Most ammo of that era is corrosive and while it still may go pop, you have to clean your gun right away after a shooting session with the ammo.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ace said:
It really is collector stuff, to be honest good condition wartime ammo in american calibers bring premium prices due to the fact that we shot it all up or gave it away to other freedom loving nations. I don't have the figures on me but my advice is to leave it alone. Most ammo of that era is corrosive and while it still may go pop, you have to clean your gun right away after a shooting session with the ammo.
This is what my limited research has indicated...Shootable, but corrosive. I'm thinking I'll write to a gun mag or two for a value estimate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts