Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,697 Posts
Not versed on WSF, but 231 should do nicely. I use bullseye. 231 is in the same burn rate range and meters better and is a little cleaner. Friend of mine uses it, but I'm a bonehead and stick with good ol' bullseye. :D

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
I've actually found W231 to be dirtier than the present Bullseye or Red-Dot, and prefer Red-Dot. I also use a lot of WST and prefer it to W231, but good WST Load data is hard to come by. Particularly for the .40 S&W, for some reason.

WSF is a good powder and I used to use it, before I tried WST. WSF is more comparable to Alliant Unique and is good for performance loads. In Target Loads, it will burn dirtier than W231. If you are just planning on making Target Loads, then W231 would be your best bet between the two.

(I'm not a fan of W231, due to it's Cold Temperature Sensitivity, Muzzle Flash characteristics, and dirtier than WST or Red-Dot burning!)

·
Registered
73 Posts
cantshoot4crap said:
I'm loading 9mm and 40 S&W and I'm looking for one powder to do both. I thinking of using either WSF or 231 powder.

Any opinions?
I use both. WSF, for whatever reason, is getting harder to find. W231, on the other hand, is also marketed by Hodgdon as HP38 (the Hodgdon powders tend to be cheaper than Winchester's).

I've not been unhappy with either.

·
Registered
846 Posts
That's a good question. I haven't loaded in years but am setting it all back up, I will have it all done and mounted etc. today and will reload some tonite or in morning. I just got back into shootin and the .40 wasn't around then. I own 2 and have read all I can find on this matter. The one constant thing they seem to agree on is the .40 likes the medium burning powders the best. I have some 180gr. speer gold dots and 180gr.jhp (bulk from gun show) I believe sabre I am going to load. I am going to try Unique and some Blue dot mainly because they used to be 2 of my favorites. I will let you know how they do and let me know any loads that you seem to like, I would be grateful.
I have a good powder burn rate chart if you'd like a copy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts