Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Withdrawn 5/11/12

I am looking to sell my vintage Taurus M82 6-shot 38 special revolver. The barrel length is 3 inches. Impossible to find, and very few made. Virtually identical to the holy grail of CCW revolvers, the S&W M13. Fits in all the same holsters, and the dimensions from stem to stern are practically identical, to the degree that a custom-molded leather holster for the S&W 13 will fit this Taurus perfectly.

The blueing is 90%, with only a visible turn line on the cylinder. This is an older Taurus: the blueing is almost black, and back then was applied much thicker and as such it takes a lot to show wear. It is a k-frame size revolver, 6-rounds in the cylinder, original wooden grips that are rounded at the base, giving a great hold on the gun. The grips both have inset Taurus medallions. The trigger has combat serrations to assure a positive contact. It is SA/DA and timing is spot-on PERFECT. Never skips or misses, tight lock-up, no end-shake, PERFECT.

I am not a current production Taurus fan: I think the current quality control is suspect and have purchased recent Taurus semi-auto guns that were all sold due to multiple performance issues. This revolver is in no way the same quality as the current Taurus production guns. Once you have it in your hands you will agree that it was made well, with quality components, and will last for generations.

Located in Spartanburg, SC

Attachments

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Bump to top for a good deal on a really nice classic Taurus!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally priced at $350, and I thought that was a good deal, since the 3" barrels are SO hard to find...but after visiting a few local gun stores, the 4" Taurus 82's were priced at $250-$300....and most of the bluing was at 50%...but I have seen mid-90's 2-inch Taurus 82's priced at $400! Pricing seems to be all over the piace.

SO, in order to move it faster, I cut the price to $250. It will NOT go any lower, and if it doesn't sell this week, I will cancel the listing and put it back in the safe. I could probably sell it for $350 next year. If any of you are hedging, you better pony-up some cash quick!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I think it's a very good deal and if I had some spare cash I'd get it myself, I like old style revolvers. Do you happen to know if this particular firearm is plus p rated?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The serial number will not come up in the Taurus data base serial number search, so I am assuming it is pretty early production. It is very sturdy, but I would probably stay away from the +P or +P+ since it is not rated for such pressures. You are very close to .357 Magnum pressures with those +P loads, and it is a .38 after all. I would defer to a Taurus tech rep, and can provide the serial number if you want to call them up and ask their opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doc, If I can send it Priority mail, USPS, it should be about $30, direct to your FFL. But please do me a favor and ask him if handguns can come USPS Priority from a non-FFL. FFL's have different requirements, but I am 99% positive I can declare it to be a pistol and as long as it goes to a FFL the USPS has no restrictions against it. However, if your FFL is a PIA, he may require it come next day Fed Ex or UPS, which would be about $60 or more.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Only FFL dealers can ship by USPS. And they can ship FFL to FFL using Flat Rate Box!

However, individuals can't use USPS (at any rate or by any means).

Individuals can ship to an FFL using FedEx or UPS.

FedEx and UPS only allow individuals to ship by "Overnight" which, as you noted, is usually $50-$60.

Least expensive way is to find a local FFL with a reasonable fee to ship to my FFL.

My FFL charges me $20 to do transfer paperwork once it's received, and he does accept shipments from individuals (just requires a drivers license copy).

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, I think you are correct. I let my FFL03 license expire, and I shipped several items via USPS to other C&R holders, but as a "civilian" now, I guess FedEx or UPS is the only way. Hopefully I won't be shipping any more of my guns, so the loss of the FFL03 shouldn't be too much of a loss for me.

THanks for the quality info!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Beautiful revolver Tom! I truly hope someone jumps on it! If I still lived in Greenville, I would have to come and take a look at it to satisfy my curiosity. I lived there for three years in the late eighties, early nineties. Beautiful part of our great country.......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heck....it's not that much of a drive from Iowa!

But I agree: the Upstate of South Carolina is simply beautiful, and being able to see the mountains just up the road in North Carolina is just icing on the cake!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts