Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prefer stainless, but consider blued if price is right. PM me with offers, or even if you just saw something online!

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Stay in the hunt for one. I'm really impressed with the 608 I recently bought. I also own a Ruger and a Smith in .357. The trigger on the Taurus is decidedly the best (although all three are fine triggers), and I really can't tell a dimes worth of difference between the Ruger and Smith triggers. Accuracy is better than I am and having 8 shots is nearly as good as a semi-auto in a large caliber. Plus having the option of shooting .38 special for practice (little felt recoil) makes me think this is one of my best purchases in a while.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am holding out for lower price, maybe a nice used one. 545 is still a little steep atm...

·
Administrator
35,288 Posts
You'll find one if you keep looking. I had a LGS order one, they don't require any money down or any commitment so I had them order it, and that would give me some time to get the funds together. In the meantime, I started having second thoughts about the ported barrel and using it for a carry weapon - in reality, there is nothing wrong with this, I just don't have any guns with ported barrels that I use for carry purposes. So, I changed horses and bought a model 66 that I absolutely love, with 7 shots of course instead of 8. Well, after about a month and a half, they called and told me that the 608 had come in....I told them thanks but I went in another direction, so I'm sure somebody else got to enjoy that 8 shot beauty.

Point being, they can be had. Keep in the hunt. ;)

·
Administrator
35,288 Posts
The ONLY reason I could think of is, if you had to fire it at night, and those gases blew up from the ports, it'll kill your night vision.

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
hopefully, loaded w/ 357 mag PD rounds, I would only need 1 clear shot...
But in the event that you had one of those rare misses and you wife wasn't there to protect you, wouldn't it be nice to have a non blurted blinded vision for placing that second shot?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wouldnt this happen w/ or w/o a ported barrel? last time I shot 357 mags, even in a lit room, I still saw flame out the end.

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
To an extent, yes. But with the ports it tends to shoot the flash more upward and more direct in your line of vision. I had, notice I said had a Springfield V-10 Ultra Compact .45acp 1911 that was a blast to fire. It was a real eye catcher from those around you at the range, that upward flame was impressive. For giggles and grins I fired it in the dark only to experience the flash going from impressive to a blinding glow.

Of course, what you plan to do with yours would certainly have a bearing on any vision concerns. It's not like you can't have a day carry and then another for night carry purposes. Kind of like having a EDC and a BBQ carry piece.

If it is what you are in the mood for, don't let us talk you out of it. Just give us a shot at buying it should you change your mind..LOL!!!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good thoughts. I would probably carry the 357 open during the day. I keep da Judge by the bed at night. I really like the idea of the 000 buck probably not going to penetrate much in the way of walls, but would make short work of a BG made of flesh and bone at anything closer than 5 yrds.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I like my 608 4", the trigger is comparable to my older big-frame S&Ws. I purchased it used on Gunbroker a few years ago. Not too many revolvers in bigger calibers made that chamber 8 rounds (S&W's higher-priced 627 being the other current choice). There's normally a some used 608s online, but finding a 4" 608 locally is harder as they've never been a high-volume seller.

Per Gunbroker's completed auctions, nice 4" versions are selling used in the $400+ range plus S&H, about the same price as 2 years ago.

And I keep my Judge Magnum (with CT laser) next to the bed for strange bumps in the nights.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tell me about it. The LGS guy keeps trying to talk me into this 9mm-compatible 7 shot revolver. I dont know who makes it, but it requires the moon clips. I asked what else it shoots, he said "nothing. its a 9mm". He tells me its almost the same thing as the 608, except it holds 7 instead of 8. Not to mention that it doesn't shoot 357 or 38, either, and its not a magnum. Besides being completely different from what I want, its practically the same thing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had a bright/polished stainless 3" barreled 608 a few years ago - traded it with a friend for an AR. I've been trying to get it back ever since. My latest offer to him was a 3" Ruger GP100, plus a BEAUTIFUL stainless Marlin 60 with a laminated stock that has a Nikon ProStaff scope on it, plus a brick of 22lr. No dice so far, but I keep at it. 608-4.jpg 608-1.jpg

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could swear I saw these 2 pics on GB in the last couple wks.

We got a gun show coming up ths wknd, I'm hoping to find something there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts