Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I don't ever recall seeing any OEM PT-92/99 black grips for the non-decocker model. Look over a whole lot of pictures here and online and did not see any either. Did they ever exist?

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't ever recall seeing any OEM PT-92/99 black grips for the non-decocker model. Look over a whole lot of pictures here and online and did not see any either. Did they ever exist?
I dunno - I just assumed that early production PT's had an option for a basic plastic grip. Seems odd that they all would have had wood grips but I could believe that. Maybe I'll just have to fabricate some from a pair of Beretta grips?

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I just had my PT99 Pre-decocker pistol out checking for a new member on another post. I purchased this new in the box, it came with the factory wood grips. Closest I have come across is the Hogue rubber grips.

Good Luck in your search.

I also know that it drives the MODS crazy with informational or non direct buying questions here in the classified section. But, if you would come back and let us know if you do find information that the plastic grips on the pre-decocker models were every a OEM standard issue.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
It's not that it drives us crazy. Really, it doesn't. But, your thoughts are very much appreciated! ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After extensive searching, I have come to conclude that what I seek does not exist as an OEM product. Hogue does make 'Safety Only' grips and you can still get them, but they are way to spendy. I scored some G-10's a few months back for less than $15 and they now reside on my PT99AFS. It isn't that I don't like the look of the wood grips on my PT92AF, it's just that they are thicker than other grips. The difference is visually noticeable between the PT92AF and my Beretta M9, and of course, I can feel the difference too. I don't have huge hands so I want a slightly slimmer grip. I ordered a new set of Beretta M9 Grips and will fabricate them to fit the Taurus.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I saw those but have concluded they are absolute crap. He's taken original grips and made extremely cheap replicas. I would sand down the original wood grips first.
Many members have purchased his grips and were extremely pleased with them. I personally have never delt with him because I prefer wood.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many members have purchased his grips and were extremely pleased with them. I personally have never delt with him because I prefer wood.
That may be true but I am wanting a high quality black grip for one, and secondly, I get the distinct feeling that he isn't licensed to be copying OEM grips. I just cannot support someone making money illegitimately.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I guess we all have our idea as to what over priced or too spendy may be, but the Hogue rubber grips are less than $15 and include the proper grip for the non decocker model.

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-...13730&sr=8-1&keywords=hogue+rubber+grips+pt99

I have a few of the extra right side panels for the non-decocker model, if you would like I could send you one and you could take a look at the size, width and shape to see if it maybe what your looking for.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess we all have our idea as to what over priced or too spendy may be, but the Hogue rubber grips are less than $15 and include the proper grip for the non decocker model.

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-...13730&sr=8-1&keywords=hogue+rubber+grips+pt99

I have a few of the extra right side panels for the non-decocker model, if you would like I could send you one and you could take a look at the size, width and shape to see if it maybe what your looking for.
Only on the LEFT side, the RIGHT side still has a Decock depression. If Hogue would correct that, I would buy a set. As for your offer to send me one, that is as generous as Taurus owners are. I would appreciate it very much. It's that damn depression that keeps me from installing a set of Hogue's.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Wasn't there a run of models that have a second lowered position safety that was later changed to the decocker function?

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Only on the LEFT side, the RIGHT side still has a Decock depression. If Hogue would correct that, I would buy a set. As for your offer to send me one, that is as generous as Taurus owners are. I would appreciate it very much. It's that damn depression that keeps me from installing a set of Hogue's.
I'll get it out to you in the morning,

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
OOPS!!!! I was thinking that it was the right side that did not have the decock depression. However, you are correct in that it does in fact have so.

HOWEVER, when I went out to dig up a right side panel, which I found many of.....I also found a complete HOGUE set of Grips for the PT92 which will fit both decocker and or non-decocker model pistols

How about I just send you a full set and then every time you look down and see that decocker insert in the grip you can quietly cuss me under your breath only to feel better because they were free?

Sound like a deal to you?

Jon

·
Super Moderator
19,742 Posts
So, All2kool, looks like you've gotten your grips and learnt a little in the process. I'm gonna close this as completed but let me know if there are still outstanding details or needs reopening.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.