Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a view of one of the busiest intersections I've seen that has none of those annoying traffic control devices.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Mexico

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
People around my area can't even master a 4 way stop or a traffic circle.

If we had an intersection like that...it would end up with one of those 48 car pile-ups like they used to show on CHIPs all the time.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
If you have ever driven where these intersections are, you would not be wanting them here. It is a PITA, and traffic is much slower than shown and everyone is blowing their horn for the right of way. Nope, I will keep the traffic lights thank you.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I'll bet there weren't many people talking on their cell phones in that fiasco!

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Traffic design by Libertarians.
Which means its a good idea and will work while at the same time lessening the size of government... therefor the big government statists (both the liberal and conservative varieties) will never let it happen! They like controlling people too much :D :D :D :p

Kidding aside, it really is a great idea. traffic will find a natural flow and it will generally be more efficient than the current system here. They have done it on a smaller scale in the Netherlands and Germany. And if the Germans who are notorious for loving rules and efficiency can do it, i am pretty sure it would work here too! :D European Towns Remove Traffic Signs to Make Streets Safer | Europe | DW.DE | 27.08.2006

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I gotta go 10 miles to find a stop light up in the Northwoods. Our idea of a traffic-jam is 3 cars waiting at the stop sign!
Gotcha' beat..... Closest traffic light is 30 miles away! (Between home and that first traffic light there are 2 Stop Signs, though....)

·
10,379 Posts
Gotcha' beat..... Closest traffic light is 30 miles away! (Between home and that first traffic light there are 2 Stop Signs, though....)
Pfft, I got ya both beat. I gotta drive close to 50 miles to Cameron to find the closest stop light. Unfortunately if I drive another 8 miles I'm in Rice Lake where someone apparently thought "Hey! Let's put round-a-bouts in!"...only thing that's missing is the Benny Hill music.

I just can't believe how many people have a hard time with a 4 way stop, and then figure they'll fix it by taking out the stop signs and rounding off the corners...

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The idea that the average American driver could emulate the antics of Ethiopian, or Dutch, drivers in the heavy flow around our cities is something that could ONLY be embraced by the Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight political club.

Look around you, and see the people reading, shaving, putting make-up on, texting, and talking on the phone on a daily basis. The club members would have you believe that after the fact policing, and the Darwinian natural selection phenomena would "straighten us up quickly". Of course, the loss of life, and carnage caused by this are ignored. IF the only injuries and deaths occurred to those who acted in such a manner, I would readily agree. However, my 35 years in Fire/EMS revealed that it's usually the innocent who suffer MOST when the ignorant act out.

I would also point out that, conveniently, both the Germans and the Dutch have MUCH stricter driving instructions, and laws. Losing a license there is easier than here, and gaining a driver's license there is much harder. It isn't the stop sign, or stop-lights, or even speed limits that will govern driving in those areas. They have hard and fast rules about where you drive, and how fast one drives under conditions. They don't care if you pull out in front of someone and get hit, the other cars speed isn't considered, just your actions. You WILL have insurance, or you won't have a car. You WILL abide by DUI laws, or you won't have a car, or a license. Maybe, if we actually enforced that idea, after a couple of generations, we'd be able to approach this type of activity in smaller cities. Also be advised that neither Germany or Holland use this Club wet-dream in large cities.

There are reasons for speed limits, traffic lights, and stop signs that go beyond manipulating the public. Residential areas often suffer from reduced road-widths because of parking. The same parking conditions create hidden gaps that enable small children, and pets, to present themselves suddenly. The speed limits allow those who obey them time to react to such presentations without the natural tendency to swerve away from objects like children, and end up hitting both the child, and a row of cars legally parked. Speed limits on roadways that aren't limited access also enable those entering and exiting the roadway to gauge the traffic before entering, or leaving, the roadways. Speed limits on Interstates, with limited access are, to me, less important, until those Interstates enter cities, with the attendant congestion. Trying to do 70 mph in downtown Atlanta on I-75 is suicidal, no matter what pompous political reasoning is used.

Traffic lights, and stop signs follow the reasoning, to allow traffic to merge, or cross, other streets. Sadly, nobody wants to lose their home or property to Eminent Domain every time shifting business districts, or housing developments come into existence. To attempt to embrace the club's theory, roads would need to be revamped on a steady basis. Otherwise, actual transportation would suffer long delays due to the inevitable accidents. Of course, under the Club's rules, if you were injured, it would be a shame, but LOOK at the smaller number of laws we'd have.

Perhaps, if we wished to reduce the size of government, traffic laws, mostly maintained by local and state government, should be looked at. However, simply erasing them, en mass, is a fool's goal. Besides, I thought that the Club embraced State's Rights. Another paradox.;);):D:D:D

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
Pfft, I got ya both beat. I gotta drive close to 50 miles to Cameron to find the closest stop light. Unfortunately if I drive another 8 miles I'm in Rice Lake where someone apparently thought "Hey! Let's put round-a-bouts in!"...only thing that's missing is the Benny Hill music.

I just can't believe how many people have a hard time with a 4 way stop, and then figure they'll fix it by taking out the stop signs and rounding off the corners...
...and call it a roundabout. No training or instructions included, just figure it out on our own.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I was most impressed by the pedestrians making the cross walks much more so than the auto cluster - those are some brave souls. LOL

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
They don't do traffic signals and lights in a lot of countries because people just ignore them anyway. My mother in law was visiting from the Philippines. My wife came to a stop sign and actually stopped. No one was around. My MIL was shocked. Nobody does that in the PI. They have them and they ignore them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts