Taurus Firearm Forum banner

If the police recovered your stolen gun would you want it back?

• Yes reguardless.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if not used in a crime.

• Only if was'nt used to shoot/murder someone.

• Yes but i'd sell it to get rid of it.

• Absolutely Not!

• Other (explain)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure how i'd go on this one.. i'd definitely want it back if no one was harmed with it.

i'd probably even take it back if the gun only wounded someone, however i dont know how i'd feel if it was a murder weapon. I guess i'd have to think about it.. if it's a cheap gun then probably not but if it's a expensive gun or if the gun had sentimental value i can't say for sure i'd tell them to keep/destroy it.

i dont think i'd feel right selling it to someone else to get rid of it without telling them, then again how do you guys think about a gun you've used in self defense that killed someone? would you have the same thoughts about the gun? would you feel a (for lack of better word) closer bond with the gun? or would you want to get rid of it as a relic of a bad memory?

what about used guns? we never really know what we're buying do we? there is no way to do a background check on a gun is there? it's possible some of us have used guns that was used in crimes or even murders i suppose.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would want it back no matter what.....

its MY gun... and just because someone used it wrongfully doesnt mean that it should be destroyed....

would you get rid of your car for that reason ???

Nope.. its mine and I want it back to use lawfully and who knows... what goes around comes around.... if you get what I mean.....

The gun didnt do anything wrong.......

·
Administrator
39,378 Posts
Yeah, I'd want it back. It hasn't done anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Voted other, because I might want it back, but from my limited knowledge of the Law. I seriously doubt that LE, and courts are going to return my gun, if used in any form of crime. I let it be stolen, they recovered it. It is evidence, and probably my tough luck.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I'd have to agree with SmokeW. The gun didn't do anything wrong.
It's the idiot behind the gun. If it was offered back to me, I'd surely take it back!
I'd surely feel very bad if someone was hurt/injured/killed. But I'd want
it back.

And, I would surely like to see NYPD's feedback on this subject! No matter
which way he would vote, I would respect his opinion, as I would anyone else's.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
locknload said:
And, I would surely like to see NYPD's feedback on this subject! No matter
which way he would vote, I would respect his opinion, as I would anyone else's.
aye, he gave me the idea for the poll.

according to him the NYPD melt down once a month confiscated guns, stolen guns are returned to their owners, im not sure about murder weapons as evidence, surely it is kept until the trial is over but i would imagine they too are returned.. but thats a good question.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I voted Yes, regardless of the situation.

Like joe said, stolen guns are returned to their rightful owners after a check is made to make sure the gun was not used in the commission of a crime.

As Robby said, stolen guns used in crimes are held as evidence for forensics testing, court proceedings and appeals (if necessary) , and it could be years or NEVER before you see that gun again.

This is just NY state policy---I do not know how it works everywhere but I'll assume it is fairly consistent with what I have written above.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I voted "Yes." But, the reality is I doubt I would ever be given the choice by the courts no matter what state I lived in.

·
Registered
356 Posts
This is just NY state policy---I do not know how it works everywhere but I'll assume it is fairly consistent with what I have written above.
Pretty much the same here in Kansas - one of the gun shops I frequent was robbed several months ago - a number of guns were stolen, but recovered by the police a few days later, along with the kids who stole them.. those guns are in a lock-up and the gun store people don't expect to see them for years. And it's pretty clear they were never used in any way. But they will stay in lock-up far longer than the kids who stole them.

Side note: the property officer is a friend of one of the salesmen, so they'll be looked after in a reasonable fashion - an advantage of living in a small town.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I thought this through and if someone took your car and caused an accident that someone died in would that be much differnt or used it in a robbery and someone died. I don't know guess I'd have to make that decission when it happened and let my feelings tell me what to do. it's not an easy question. I voted yes to keep the gun. But!!!!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yeah I want what's mine! I agree with some of the earlier posts,

Guns don't commit crimes.

Pencils don't write letters.

Spatulas can't cook.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would want mine back because i cant really afford to go out and buy a nother one :-[

·
Registered
117 Posts
joe sixpack said:
what about used guns? we never really know what we're buying do we? there is no way to do a background check on a gun is there? it's possible some of us have used guns that was used in crimes or even murders i suppose.
[/quote}

i guess if you know any LEOs they could run the Seriel no for you

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rabid_Dog said:
Yeah I want what's mine! I agree with some of the earlier posts,

Guns don't commit crimes.

Pencils don't write letters.

Spatulas can't cook.
well it's not that the gun committed the crime but that it now has some bad juju on it.
kinda like a lot of bikers will not buy or ride a motorcycle that was involved in a fatal accident.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts