Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, you read it right. Mine... pt99af...parkerized, railed, hogue rubber grips.... for PT99fs blued, no rail, wood grips.

I am am going to do it if the gun is as described. I despise the rail, but the bluing and wood grips are also a big plus for me. I’m just wondering what you 99 guys think, and why...

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Condition is the most important issue, but just as described, I'd do it. I hate that rail too.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Brings to mind the old saying of "There is no accounting for taste". So if it makes your boat float, trips your trolley, and rings your bell....then go for it. It has been so long that I have looked at my PT99s that I don't recall if they are railed or not. Guess that gives me something to do later today.

Best of Luck in your endeavor.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deal is done. I need to run the serial on this one. It’s older, but it’s not as old as some that I have had. It feels just like the one I had 10 years ago that I traded away in a fit of stupidity. Bluing isn’t perfect, but it’s not bad either. I gave 3 mags with it because I ended up knowing the guy. Had worked with him and didn’t immediately place the name. I will get pics up soon.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Deal is done. I need to run the serial on this one. It’s older, but it’s not as old as some that I have had. It feels just like the one I had 10 years ago that I traded away in a fit of stupidity. Bluing isn’t perfect, but it’s not bad either. I gave 3 mags with it because I ended up knowing the guy. Had worked with him and didn’t immediately place the name. I will get pics up soon.
Curious, does this one or did your old one have the de-cocker on the safety?

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Does the slide action feel any smoother on the one that you traded for? I have owned both with and without the decocker safety. The pistols without the decocker safety also has the more tight serration on the slide. Everyone of the decocker pistols have had a butter smooth slide feel to them which is very noticeable. So I am curious as to if you can tell a difference between the old vs the new. Or is this case it may be the new vs. the old, I am assuming that the pistol that you traded for has an earlier meaning older production date.

Darned if I haven't managed to confuse myself....yet again.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the slide action feel any smoother on the one that you traded for? I have owned both with and without the decocker safety. The pistols without the decocker safety also has the more tight serration on the slide. Everyone of the decocker pistols have had a butter smooth slide feel to them which is very noticeable. So I am curious as to if you can tell a difference between the old vs the new. Or is this case it may be the new vs. the old, I am assuming that the pistol that you traded for has an earlier meaning older production date.

Darned if I haven't managed to confuse myself....yet again.
as for smooth, I work my guns over until they are buttery no matter what. The older ones certainly take less work to smooth them up. As far as decocker/no decocker, I can’t say because everything I have ever had has had it.

This one needs a new recoil spring, and probably locking block too, but it is very slick already, likely because it’s been shot a lot. The wood is nicer than recent production stuff too. It’s a 1994 production gun, and from everything I am seeing so far I believe that it is a really nice example. I just need to send some lead downrange to know what the tube is capable of, and I expect I will end up replacing it as well. So, I will likely throw about $100 at it but it’s polished blue, wood grips, no rail, right vintage to be one of their best, and it’s just like the one I had around 2008 that I foolishly traded off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts