Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't even come up with a cute misleading title for this question. And Common Sense tells me NO, but then in the back of my mind says "Well Maybe".

So here is the scenario, I have taken to carrying my PT-111 Taurus 9mm in place of my Glock 27 as of late when I have some running to do. It conceals so easy either on my person or in the truck, the over all size and weight makes it a natural to carry.

But, when I get back to the house I often set it on top of the freezer in the rear foyer as a back door pistol or until my next trip out.

But, what if I wanted to keep it more secured and out of reach or sight. Would storing it in the freezer which is kept at a comfortable 0 Degrees work? I can lock the freezer door with the barrel lock and key that is built in to the freezer.

Now the question is, would this hurt the pistol? Would condensation cause the ammunition to not fire? Would rust be an issue, yes it is a poly pistol but there are metal parts and pieces. Would the temp change from a frozen pistol to a explosion of ammunition cause a catastrophic failure of the sum of the frozen parts with life or death injuries to those around the shrapnel area?

I know there have been videos of a Glock frozen in a block of ice then chipped free and fired, but how about a Taurus poly.

So what say you?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Just my guess, but if you don't freeze it in a block of ice, perhaps causing expansion cracks, you should be okay.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I think it would be just fine, I would only really be worried that the lubricants would gel over in the freezer.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
The trick to the G gun in ice is, the coldest the gun will get is 32 degrees, and yes that is freezing temp for water, but it is not the freezing temp for the oil lube on the gun. If you put your gun in the freezer that is set at 0 degrees, that is the temp your gun and the lube that is on it will go down to and you will not be able to fire the gun or even operate the slide manually until it thaws out. But, go ahead and give it a try and see what happens, then you will know for sure.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
As stated, lubes could get cruddy and when introduced to a warmer temp you'll have condensation. Possible temporary contraction of select parts and ammunition.

·
Registered
31,761 Posts
If you had regular walls in your garage, I would say knock a hole in the wall and hide it there, but you don't, so that won't work. set a dog food sack half filled with acorns against the freezer and keep the gun in there. Just your luck you will have a thief with a dog rob the place! :)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
0 is a good bit below a block of ice.
Lube is covered well above - I know some hunters that take long stretched in the cold very seriously - shotguns more than bolt rifles.
I know shooters that study the effect of temperature on smokeless powder as well - maybe less of an issue than it used to be.

I think Radical temp changes would be more serious than gradual for condensation etc. That is what you are proposing

AND who wants to shoot a 0 degree gun?!?! :eek:

I'd go to PLAN B!!!~

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
What are you thinking?????????:eek:

Reactions: jonrjen and mingaa

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Just does not seem like a good idea. Send it in to Mythbusters and let them give it a try for us.

Reactions: jonrjen and mingaa

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I shoot a Springfield XDm 5.25 9mm in competition and as such installed a full powder river trigger kit. A fellow competitor that had already done his gave me some tips, one of them involved fitting the trigger over travel, he had his working fine and shot all season with it but during a particularly cold fall match it refused to fire. Seems the poly frame would swell some thus interfering with the over travel.

When I installed mine I put it in the freezer and it did the same thing. I ended up freezing and thawing it multiple time while fitting it. After removing it from the freezer it would frost over then be covered inside and out with dew after thawing. I used WD40 and air compressor to remove it each time.

Afraid your scenario would result in water where you don't want it.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Imagine racking the slide for some reason and your fingers sticking to it like your tongue to an ice cube. Nope, not the way I want to test durability and/or fireability.

·
Registered
24,539 Posts
Just simply NO.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Well the Ruskies always had good luck with their firearms in cold climates. Then again, their guns
didn't have polymer materials so I don't know how that would work out after being in the freezer. This
might be an interesting experiment!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I agree with Magnum.

I wonder what the sudden temperature change in a poly gun when fired could do to the gun itself.

Would it crack? Would it shatter?

Just like water, putting a gun in a sub freezing environment doesn't suddenly freeze it. It takes a while. But once it is frozen, it's frozen all the way through.

I know in my line of work that a poly/vinyl that I can bend back on itself this time of year can shatter and snap fast in February even if not below freezing.

Can the poly handle the sudden temp change and force of explosive movement?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts