Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you all... Would you buy a nice older Taurus 85 with known issues, known problems - if it was cheap enough? I was looking at one today on Gunbroker. The description says " THIS TAURUS HAS A LOOSE CYLINDER PIN AND THE CYLINDER WILL NOT STAY IN THE FRAME." To me, that sounds like some cheap parts would fix it up. It might be the front bottom side plate screw, or the extractor and extractor spring... or maybe the little spring and nub in behind that bottom screw on the side plate in front. Perhaps it might be that the cylinder stop plunger & pin might need some tweaking. I could replace all of those parts with brand new ones for... not a big pile of cash. The revolver is selling for like... $100 or so, and I figure with shipping and FFL, and $35 in parts I should still be able to get it for less than $200, and I will know what parts are fixed in it, and I would have a cool old revolver. but I am still hesitating. What do you think? pix387767694.jpg

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
It's like buying a used car:

If you can buy a car for really cheap and fix it so it runs like new, then you have a new car for a really cheap price. Especially if you know how to work on cars and save a ton on labor costs.

Talk them down to $80 and fix it up.

At the worst, you could sell it for what you have in it if you don't keep it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep, it's been shot a lot. Current bid is $105.
My gut feeling it won't be a simple fix. I don't think it saw much maintenance. Take a look at the side plate screws. They're near perfect. I would want to see wear from internal cleaning.
What ever you pay, expect to add another $50 for shipping and FFL and maybe another $50 to ship to Taurus.

This gun really reminds me of a 1930's Spanish revolver I have that my grandfather used when he was a police chief.
Wonder if this one saw life in law enforcement?

Dave...

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I would pay no more than $50.00 for that gun in that condition, but that is just me.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Look at the other beauties that seller has on gunbroker!

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Unless I knew for sure exactly what the issues were and their causes, I wouldn't buy it for any price. It could have a bent frame, the cylinder could have been over pressured, or it could have been fired out of time. Any of those things would render your purchase worthless. Unless you know specifically what's wrong with it, I'd pass on it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you enjoy the challenge to fix it as a hobby then go ahead. If you are looking for dollar value you have to place a value on the time that you will spend to fix it in addition to the parts et al.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I would do it, I like a challenge.......:)

Reactions: jakerson9

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think I'm going to go this direction. - And I really like the older Taurii with the extra sideplate screw on the top - I kind of like the look like a pre-1955 5-screw S&W to me. And if it is a total loss, it is a tiny loss. Maybe I can fix it, parkerize it, stick a set of those new grips on it, or some crimson traces or something and... Well, stay tuned, I guess. :)
I would do it, I like a challenge.......:)

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Unless I knew for sure exactly what the issues were and their causes, I wouldn't buy it for any price. It could have a bent frame, the cylinder could have been over pressured, or it could have been fired out of time. Any of those things would render your purchase worthless. Unless you know specifically what's wrong with it, I'd pass on it.
Additionally, it could have been tinkered with to the point that Taurus voids the warranty. Then, you will pay almost the price of a new one to get this one working. No thanks.

Ask the owner why he didn't just send it into Taurus for repair......see what he says.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Higher risk should equal lower cost.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Pass, Atleast for 135 bucks.

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts
Additionally, it could have been tinkered with to the point that Taurus voids the warranty. Then, you will pay almost the price of a new one to get this one working. No thanks.

Ask the owner why he didn't just send it into Taurus for repair......see what he says.
From the looks of his other offerings, I'd say he bought out some police evidence room contents. That would explain his wide variety of beater guns and pawn shop specials.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Wait for it to go through three or four bid cycles without being sold. At that point, contact the seller and make an offer that is <$50.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I'd pass. The price has gotten to high to our way potential rewards.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts