Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Commander Length 10mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to how many members of our forum would purchase a PT1911 in 10mm if they were manufactured. I suppose I'm trying to make the determination of how desirable that chambering would be to most 1911, PT1911 and Taurus owners in general.

Please weigh in with your vote gentlemen (and any ladies, if you're present). ;D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I voted no, Not that I would not like to have one, but right now it would fall 6th or 7th on my list of got to have guns ;D

Plus with the price of 10mm I know I would not shoot it as much as I would like to

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
After having good luck shooting my .40 S&W, I'd be curious about shooting a 10mm. However, I'd like to try shooting one without buying one to see how I felt about the round. My guess is that a 10mm Taurus will be a ways down the pike when they are debating producing the 9mm or .40 S&W... or even the Commander length slide?

An Aluminum alloy frame .45 Commander would be a much more attractive option given the market.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I wouldn't mind shooting somebody else's 10mm. :) However, considering a budget and what guns will give me a better price point, a 10mm would be a definite "no". If I were filthy rich... eh, still a "no", but more of a "I would see" kind of no.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Plus with the price of 10mm I know I would not shoot it as much as I would like to
One of the reason I would preffer Pt1911 in 10mm over .45acp is ammo cost! ;)

For a reloader 10mm cheaper to shoot since it uses .40 bullets...Not to mention that TEN is more versitile.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think a 10mm would be interesting and much more useful then a 40cal. (atleast to me), but I would rather have a PT1911 Commander in blued and stainless.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It would be interesting if Taurus was to offer it, however, I think that a 40 S&W 1911 would be a greater probability given the popularity of that cartridge.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I realize the 40cal is popular, but why? Other then all the over rated hype its ballistics's (real world or other wise) do not offer any real benefit over the 9mm and it isn't enough to replace the roll the 45cal. was made for.

Even though I own a couple of 1911 style pistols in 9mm, it just doesn't seem natural to make a 1911 in something smaller then a 45cal, I'd vote for bigger is better everytime.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
DRAEGER said:
I realize the 40cal is popular, but why? Other then all the over rated hype its ballistics's (real world or other wise) do not offer any real benefit over the 9mm and it isn't enough to replace the roll the 45cal. was made for.
Who knows why? I really think it was supposed to replace the 10mm as an FBI load because most of their agents couldn't place follow up shots fast enough when they tried to qualify with the 10mm. The .40 cal has one advantage over the 9mm obviously and that is bullet diameter.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Especially on soft body tissue there isn't enough diameter, expansion or mass to make any difference between a hit from a 9mm or a 40cal. Meaning you will not drop a target any faster with a 9mm or a 40cal. Even using the theory that bigger holes are better, the 9mm and 40cal are so close that it also will make no difference to your target.

The 10mm was suppose to replace the 45cal & 38spl for government agents and you are correct about the troubles they had with the 10mm's power being to much for most of the shooters to compensate for. But the agency's went back to the 45cal, not the 40cal. The 40cal was basically developed as a wildcat cartridge 10mm kurtz and was pushed into the mainstream buy the ammunition industry and several firearms makers that had firearms in the works aimed towards the big money, which is large law enforcement contracts.

There is nothing wrong with a 40cal, it just isn't better or worse the a 9mm. Just a different answer to a problem that isn't really there. I suppose if I was new to shooting or didn't already own so many 9mm firearms, I may have jumped on the 40cal bandwagon too.

I don't mean to sound critical of anything, just being informative :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
DRAEGER said:
I don't mean to sound critical of anything, just being informative :)
You don't sound critical at all. I'm not defending the 40 S&W, I'm only stating the defense of the .40 by some people (Myself NOT included). I totally agree with you on the comparisons between the 9mm and .40---I actually used a Glock 19 as my service weapon for over 15 years so I have no complaints against the 9mm. But, I did purchase a 24/7 Pro in 40 S&W about a year ago to satisfy my own curiousities. It serves it's purpose but I might be trading it in for a 24/7 LS in 9mm. :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have shot the 40cal alot because of my LEO friends. It is fun to shoot and I'd never knock anyone for buying one as long as they didn't buy it with the idea that it was a 9mm killer. It is an alternative and a nice one at that ;)

I also apologies for getting the thread off topic, wasn't my intention (oops!).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts