Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 20th. I ask a question about dry firing my M85. No one has been nice enought to answer so far. I realize that the question is perhaps dumb and has been ask a 1000 times but how bout just one more time for the flounder. Pleast see thread ( Dry Fire ) on this same page and thanks.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I've dry fired my revolvers for years with no problems. Some say with the advent of the transfer bar system that most modern revolvers incorporate that you'd be better of buying snap caps and using them to cushion the firing pin. (Being the firing pin is not an integral part of the hammer in most new revolvers)
That being said, I personally do not use snap caps and all my revolvers work fine still.
http://www.pistoleer.com/azoom/

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would use a snap cap for dry fire on and in any gun, I ask at the shows and shop if the dry fire is okay, some want you to use snap caps. JG

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A gunsmith recently told me you can dryfire most modern guns except Taurus, because of some of the materials used. Don't recall what parts, but that's what he said. So I don't.

·
Registered
81 Posts
thunderjohn said:
A gunsmith recently told me you can dryfire most modern guns except Taurus, because of some of the materials used. Don't recall what parts, but that's what he said. So I don't.
Ok, that's just bad advice, especially coming from a gunsmith, to make such a general statement like that. Rimfires are a good example where it is typically NOT recommended to dry fire since the pin will be likely to travel forward until it hits something...like the edge of the chamber. Over time this could do bad things to the firing pin, or the chamber itself. Imagine peening out a small bit of metal to block the chamber and what that would do to feeding...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not knowing the answer myself and hearing conflicting advice I have always decided to err on the side of caution and just not do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I asked this to a gunsmith when i bought my 24/7. I was told that striker fire handguns will not have problems when dry firing ever. Since i know nothing about firing internals my follow up question to that was, should i use snap caps? Not for this gun, it doesn't hurt it in the first place.

Since taurus offers a lifetime warranty i will gladly sacrafice my own gun and test this theory for you. Check back in a couple years ;D So far a have dry fired several thousand times with no ill effects. Just a smoother feeling trigger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts