Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see folks posting about GM here, but there aren't any in this part of Texas. Today's newspaper said they're going to open one about 10 miles from me in far West San Antonio. The areticle said the store was going to emphasize firearms, and is 49000 square feet so they'll carry the usual fishing and camping stuff too.

Was wondering how good they are? Cabela's is an 80 miles drive for me, so I don't go there. Bass Pro Shops is a 25 mile drive, and has gotten (IMHO) way too pricey, although I go there for odd stuff that Academy or my LGD don't carry, like RemOil, walhnut shells, some reloading supplies, etc. Never buy ammo at their prices.

How does GM rank? High? Low? In between?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would say about the same, in a nutshell.
Cabela's is a bit farther of a drive than Gander for me as well, and I've been too lazy to check into Academy since they opened up shop nearby, but the main thing that separates Gander from the rest of the bunch is their onsite "Academy" which incorporates both live-fire and virtual ranges. The prices are a bit steep compared to other local ranges in my town, especially for the live-fire one, but they're extremely clean, professional, and have a strong "safety-first" mentality. I would rather take a family member who had never been shooting before to the Gander range first for that very reason. Gander also hosts many expos and events that may be of interest to you throughout their different store chain locations.
Otherwise, they're just another competitor to shop around at when comparing product prices.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
They are high on ammo and guns in my opinion. I would say higher than Cabela's, but not sure about Bass Pro since I don't have one close. I think they do have pretty good sales but usually something crazy to get you in the store, and just maybe sold out by the time you get there.

I'd say if you already have an Academy you probably won't be too quick to leave it for Gander. Our new Academy seems pretty hard to beat on lots of prices.

·
Super Moderator
35,463 Posts
They're a bit high on their guns, but sometimes have some good sales. I picked up a CVA Wolf for $179 (black powder rifle) and a surplus Polish P64 Radom for $199 about 3 years back. Stopped there on the way back from Pearland the other day and picked up a ladder type tree stand on sale for $79, even has a gun rest on it that can fold back for bow hunting. I have it set up in the back woods.

The Gander I made these purchases at is near Sugar Land off 59 at the 99 Grand Parkway/Crab River road exit. If you can't find it there, drive up Grand Parkway to Katy and try the Bass Pro at Katy Mills mall. :D

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have one about 20 miles from me. In fact I was just there last night. Gander is where I bought my TCP738 last fall, for $199. They had one last night for $229. Yes, their guns (handguns especially) are more than you might see from some stores but the TCP was right in line with other stores and they run sales from time to time which helps. I have found their ammo to be competitive with Dick's etc. Pre-panic they would get the same for a brick of 22lr's as the next place. They do have a nice selection of guns. MUCH better than any Walmart around here.

·
Super Moderator
35,463 Posts
They do have a nice selection of guns. MUCH better than any Walmart around here.
Wow, let's set that bar high, won't we? ROFL But, yeah, they have an impressive selection of firearms. Most of 'em aren't on sale, but they're much more likely to have something than Academy which carries only a set number of models.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I just got out from a Gander (in Fargo) a few minutes ago. Most of the handguns/ammo are higher priced than what you might see at other stores. Sometimes on sale stuff might be close to other places. The TCP was on sale for 199 not too long ago.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Maybe the Gander Mountain's in TX are better than the ones up here in the north. We had one in NYS, just a few miles from me. Prices were very high, long-gun selection was ok, but only had about 15 or 20 handguns at any given time. No indoor range, etc., but lots of clothes and fishing gear. Then they stopped taking firearms in on trade, and stopped selling used guns. The on-site "gunsmith" was never on-site. The sales staff knew precious little about firearms. Reloading stuff went away. It got to the point that you could walk into the 40,000 sq.ft. store, and be the only customer in there, most of the time. A couple of years ago, the rains came down, the river came up, and flooded the place almost to the roof. They never re-opened.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My local gander still sells used guns and their prices are a little high but its hard to find a big chain that sells handguns in my area. I have not purchased anything from them other than some ammo /16 ga. The guys at this gander's gun counter seem like knowledgeable guys, at least the couple that I talked to. Nice store though with lots of camping /fishing /hunting stuff. I did notice they had a nice selection of rcbs reloading hardware the last time I was in but again a little high priced.

Reactions: rogertc1

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
If you think that BPS is high, you will be Floored when you go to Gander. Academy's everyday price is usually lower than Ganders sale prices. i bought a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
on sale I have found Gander Mt. have great prices and they have guns. I bought a used Marlin Alaskan 45-70 for $189.00. It did needed a new extractor. ONLY

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
GM is not even close in comparison to Cabelas and BP, at least in my travels and I've been in several stores throughout the US. GM has some larger stores (probably like the one your seeing built) and depending on the management, you might find it appealing but the prices are generally a little high. There has been talk of them switching over to a new name and inventory focus called Gun World. We don't have any BP or a Cabelas real close so GM has kind of a corner on the market as far as big box sporting retailers go. I sure wish that Sportsmans Warehouse would have survived here in the Pgh area, it was a great store.

·
Registered
24,899 Posts
Gander is the highest priced of the big box stores here

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
Sorry to say but ...on sale Gander Mt. have great prices and they have guns. I bought a used Marlin for $189.00. It did needed a new extractor

·
Super Moderator
35,463 Posts
Are guns still legal in NYS?:biggrin: Yeah, the one I stop at from time to time has a large selection of handguns and a lot of ninja gear, the black fatigue stuff. They have concealed carry clothing, all sorts of hunting stuff, reloading stuff, about like Bass Pro on hunting and fishing, but without the boats out front.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I was at gander sunday what was on clerance was very high end winter clothes and discontinued items most clerance peices were still higher than others stores regular prices They had a fair amount of guns but no pistol ammo the 1911 ss taurus was 849 and the had other pistols but all around 20% over normal price

jhp

·
Registered
312 Posts
Gander high on there prices on firearms. Academy good decent prices on there firearms. I bought my PT92 from Academy for $379. I can't say on Pro Bass as I don't have one close by.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I say clueless 2 wheel ...on sale Gander Mt. have great prices and they have guns. I bought a used Marlin for $189.00. It did needed a new extractor.
Not my quote!!

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Gander had a close out sale on winter gloves and hats. Reg 49.99 down to 29.99. Great deal,right? Except Walmart had the EXACT SAME GLOVES normally priced at $7.95. That's pretty typical of our local GM. You might find competitive prices on advertized sale items, but that's about all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts