Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the car that in 1954 could have "killed" the Corvette. So, Chevrolet, being GM's big sales and profit division, campaigned to GM to "kill" this car. When Chevy was coming out with its 6-cyl. sports car with its 2-speed "powerglide" transmission and side curtains, here was a sports car from Olds with a big old V-8 and power windows. So, GM said no to Oldsmobile on building this car.

The world's rarest automobile: a 1954 Concept Old's Rocket F88 - the only one in existence. John S. Hendricks, (Discovery Communications founder) paid in excess of 3 million to acquire this 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 Convertible Concept Car. After spending decades as a collection of parts stuffed into wooden crates, the F-88 was reassembled. In 1954, the F-88 was a Motorama Dream Car, and was one of only two, or an unconfirmed possible three, ever created. The F-88 seen here is literally the only car left of its kind, and was sold to John and Maureen Hendricks at the prestigious Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona, for an unbelievable $3,240,000. This acquisition made automotive history, and is in the cornerstone of the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum, in its own special room in a rotating display, worthy of the F-88!

Aw, Heck! I guess you guys probably want some pics, too.

Sheesh!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh my god I love that tail end. That screams 50's. I think chevy got the vetts lines off that car. I thought it was a vett proto before I read the caption.

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Gosh.....That's nice!!! I'm an old dude and never seen this car before!!!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
That is one beautiful car. It's a shame what GM did to the Oldsmobile line.

·
Administrator
39,488 Posts
I can see me cruising in that thing. Just as well I don't. Can you imagine the insurance premium?

Car designs today, just can't compare to those of years gone by. :sad:

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
What a sweet car!! You just can`t beat the car designs of yesteryear!!!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Put that on the market now and it would sell. I would want one.

Sarge

·
Registered
27,170 Posts
Nah.
Too big, too heavy, and too late.
By the 1955 model year, obviously in development by the time this concept car was cobbled together (not the use of Chevrolet tail lights), Chevrolet had already made it redundant by putting the new small block V-8 into the Corvette. Both the Chevrolet 262 and Oldsmobile 303 made 165 horsepower, although in 1955 Oldsmobile had a 324 that made 202 hp. Unfortunately that engine had a problem in that the aluminum pistons tended to come apart.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
That's a pretty ride. There are a lot of those old prototype cars around in museums and car collections. This one is definitely cool. I may be wrong but didn't Buick also have a similar prototype that was never built? I seem to recall seeing pictures of one somewhere along the way.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I learned to drive on a 1955 Olds, 4dr HT 88. One sweet car, my parent bought Olds right up until, 1992, 6 years before they passed away. GM screwed the public chosing to dump that line, and keep Buick? JIMHO!!!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have often wondered what ever happened to that "54" Thunderbird I seen while shopping for a new car in 1964? Everybody in the dealership told the fellow that came in to trade it in that there was no such thing as a "54" Thunderbird, yet they couldn't argue with the title and registration that showed it as a "54"! Apparently it was a prototype that was never supposed to get out to the public.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I can see me cruising in that thing. Just as well I don't. Can you imagine the insurance premium?

Car designs today, just can't compare to those of years gone by. :sad:
Amen brother. I've often said that when it comes to cars and some music I was born at least 20 years too late.

·
Super Moderator
35,703 Posts
I am surprised that Jay Leno let it get away, certainly he was bidding on it as he is an extremely avid collector.

·
Registered
31,761 Posts
I still beat myself up that I didn't buy a 1954 Corvette when I was 21 in Clovis NM in 1970 for $3000. It had 33,000 miles on it. Reasons I didn't buy? 1. It would have to be my everyday driver. 2. I was young and the insurance rate on a fiberglass body was ultra expensive. 3. It was a six cylinder 4. It was a 3 speed manual transmission, 1st gear was not synchronized. Looking back, I made the right decision as I would have had to drive it and leave it ungaraged for three years, before I could afford a driver to let it sit and 4 years before I could have garaged it. I don't remember it having the snap on hard top, and the soft top would have been vandalized when I worked in Los Angeles. Repairs would have been expensive if I'd needed any and if I'd bought it, I probably couldn't have afforded the driver to replace it as a driver. All in all I'm sure I made the right decision, but I still like to think "What if?"

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a pretty ride. There are a lot of those old prototype cars around in museums and car collections. This one is definitely cool. I may be wrong but didn't Buick also have a similar prototype that was never built? I seem to recall seeing pictures of one somewhere along the way.
When I was in high school, about 1954, GM gave a seminar designed to inspire young ones to consider a career in the auto industry. It seems the emphasis was on auto design and they showed a movie of a concept Buick that I'm sure they called LeSabre - though it bore little resemblance to the LeSabre released a few years later.
One feature I recall - other than "futuristic" styling - was that the concept car had built-in jacks, one at each wheel and apparently controlled from the dashboard.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I watched the auction when this car was sold. I was amazed that the fellow in the ball cap kept on and on buying cars during the days and nights of that particular auction.

It must be nice to have money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts