Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More proof that I'm a lefty shooting right-handed.....when I broke in my PT145 the other day, I was having alot of fun - then I noticed I had rubbed my thumb raw, almost in the web of my hand. I kept firing though, and toughed my way through it til I got to 300 rounds or so.....but I had a scab on my hand for over a week. I couldn't have shot my guns right-handed if I had wanted to. What do you guys do for this? I thought about wearing some Ace tape or maybe a band-aid there, so I wouldn't do it again - I really hate to succumb to the shooting glove, but I guess thats an option too. Any suggestions fellas?

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fully healed now, Doc.....hold still.....

·
Registered
878 Posts
You'll have that unfortunately. I shot my Keltec over the weekend and it never fails to remove the skin from the bottom of my trigger finger. Not my favorite shooter, but I feel I have to give it a workout every once in awhile to maintain familiarity.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think you're shooting the wrong type of pistol. There are quite a few people that, due to their grip or hand size, will get chewed up by almost anything but a 1911 style pistol. The beavertail on the 1911 will protect your hand. I've seen this before.

I am not a fan of the 1911. It doesn't work for me...sorry if that offends anyone, it's only my opinion (the 1911 style guns may work great for you). However, I know a couple of guys that can only shoot 1911's because of the same problem you have. Almost anything else will tear up their hand after a while. So, I suggest you buy a 1911 or something styled similarly with the large beavertail.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Doctor_Venkman said:
It'll grow back, sissy!

Just kidding. Please don't shoot me.... oh wait, you can't! Cause you got a boo boo!
Too funny! :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
This old standby is great for High Cycle Rates...<:))

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW - that's a big tub of grease, Sarge.....

So, king, you think a PT145 is too small ? I do have large hands......I've never really thought about it much though. But....I LOVE shooting the 145, it's so much gun in such a small package.......

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can't really add to what I originally posted. I don't have the issue of getting nicked, but have 2 friends that do have the exact same problem. They only shoot 1911's because the beavertail keeps the web of skin between their pointer & thumb out of the way.

To be completely frank with you, I thought they just had a bad grip. After watching them shoot, however, I don't see that they are doing anything wrong (not that I'm an instructor or anything). All I do know for a fact is that neither of them will shoot anything but 1911's now.....

I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
It just shows that a silly millimeter higher on the grip can put you in sore spot territory. I had the opposite problem, not getting my hand high enough. It showed in my targets. Having someone observe you who shoots regularly, or a minor personal adjustment of your hand will probably fix the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts