Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site and this is my first post. I cannot believe that I am writing this as I thought this would never happen. I was at the PD range shooting today. I've had a Taurus 1911 for 10 months or so. My carry gun, not duty gun. I've put about 500 rounds through it with absolutely no failures. I was shooting today and switching between my Glock 40 and 1911 45. A firearms instructor asked to shoot the 1911. I know the guy real well and he is an expert shot, 98 percentile. Tac guy and quite knowledgable. Well unbeknownst to me he loads up my 1911 mag with 40 cal rounds. It goes bang but fails to cycle. I'm thinking what the heck, I've never had a failure with this gun. He cycles the weapon and fires, same thing. Again, same thing. I finally look down and see a split and expanded 40 case. :-[ Great. I look the gun over, cant see any damage. I test it with the RIGHT ammo. Gun fires 45 from there on, no problems. no failures. Is there anything I should worry about? What do yall think? I cleaned it thoroughly and checked the barrel with a bore light. No scratches in the lands or grooves that my eyes could see. The chamber looks ok, feed ramp is not scratched. Any suggestions besides loading my own mags for anyone who wants to shoot it in the future would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would say take it to a good gunsmith and explain what happened and have him go over it with a fine toothed comb. If he says it looks good to go, shoot another box of ammo in joy :D

I was not able to find pressure data on the 45ACP but a 45GAP (fairly new but not interchangeable) has a mean average pressure of 23,000 PSI. a 40S&W has a mean average pressure of 35,000 PSI. I would think that the 45ACP is between those, but since you were shooting an undersized bullet down an overbored barrel, I doubt the pressure would have gotten near the danger point for the barrel.

The barrel would be what I would have the gunsmith go over and look for signs of pressure stress.

The reason the case split open is there was no chamber to surround the case and insure all the gasses only pushed the bullet and all hot expanding gasses in one direction.

If your pistol comes out with a clean bill of health, thank the gods that the kablooie demon stayed away for another day and take this as a lesson to ALWAYS check the ammo someone else hands you to put in your gun, before you put it in your gun. ;D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
.45 ACP is around 21,000 psi for a standard load. +P SAAMI is at 23,000 psi.

Take it to a competent gunsmith and have him look it over.

That so-called "Tac-Guy" firearms instructor in the 98th percentile should be ashamed of himself.

I've been around LE ranges for almost 24 years now and no one has had a brain fart like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trust me I was not impressed and quite pissed to say the least.  I still cant believe the damn thing went off.  A 40 round slides right down the barrel of a 45, case and all!  The lip of the case must have just barely hung at the end of the chamber and then bam.  The Taurus 1911 is my Wilson.  It;s whats in my price range and what I can afford.  I love it and am very proud of it.  It's my baby and I fear my baby is damaged. 

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Pflyinguy said:
It's my baby and I fear my baby is damaged.
So you're saying your Glock 22 is not your baby? :'( :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah, it's my step child. I like it but I like the 1911 so much more. A heck of alot smoother and prettier too. It's a 31, 357 sig. I shoot 40 out of a 40 barrel when I plink. 40 ammo is a heck of alot cheaper. We cant carry cocked and locked on duty or else my baby would be going to work with me every night!

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
When I share a lane with my partner we always shoot one gun and only take out one box of ammo then we switch over to another. one reloads for the other so we can shoot enough to get a good feel for a extended fight.

I've seen to many episodes of cops were the LEO was spraying and praying I want to make sure I can stay focused when I get tired. and not limp wrist anything.

Good luck with your gun I love my1911 to.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i would'nt worry about it, im sure it's fine, if it was'nt it would be apparent there was a problem.

.40s&w is a higher pressure round however being that it had .5 of extra room around the case i highly doubt it could actually build up excess pressure, this is most likely why the gun could'nt cycle.

other then the .40 tumbling down the bore and being horribly inaccurate, lacking in power, and the obvious highly unreliable performance i dont think any harm came to your gun.

even had the .40 been able to reach normal pressure i doubt it would have caused the gun harm due to modern metallurgy im sure the gun is actually quite strong.

·
Registered
48 Posts
joe sixpack is absolutely right. the 40 cal is much higher pressure than the 45, but the pressure wasn't "contained" therefore is dissipated just a soon as the case spit. i had a friend do the same thing firing a 9 in a 40. you can take it to a gunsmith if you like, but he'll either tell ya the same thing joe said or he'll take your money with a crap eatin grin.

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
I would still have the 1911 checked over by a competent Gunsmith, familiar with 1911's, even if there is no apparent damage.

We had a similar inicident like that on our range, with a guest shooter, who loaded .40 S&W rounds into his .45 caliber RIA 1911. Except he fired two full magazines before figuring out what was going on. He just cycled the gun by hand when it did not eject the spent shells. The slide then locked up, midway in cycle.

The Barrel Bushing lower edge was slightly bent, the barrel underlug Link was cracked, and that was the extent of my immediate inspection of the field stripped firearm. There may have been other damage, but to find it would have needed a complete frame teardown. The owner chose not to avail himself further of my services and take his gun home, to do it himself.

What you have to understand is that while MOST of the Pressure from the uncontained shell will go down the barrel, some of it will go down into the frame, quite possibly affecting some of the smaller parts. I would carefully examine the Barrel underlug link, Barrel Bushing, Recoil Spring Guide Rod and Recoil Spring, Slide Stop Pin, and the associated Holes in the Frame. The Trigger mechanism is fairly shielded by the frame and should be unaffected. The barrel should be fine.

Since your gun is still working, and the incidence was only one round, I think you probably got off with no damage and just some minor stressing of some parts. However, since this gun is being used as your personal carry, you need to be sure of that!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Wow, big woops!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
NHArticleTen said:
he should keep yours and buy you a brand new one...
How about just buy him a brand new one?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.!!

I would make sure it is clean and ready. Go shoot a few rounds through it then carefully take it apart. Gun powder will collect in cracks. Should make any damage visible. There is also a dye that can be used to look for damage. I have heard of this happening to others without any damage.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts