1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
32,202 Posts
https://www.boonetrading.com/collec...ips/products/1911-mammoth-ivory-bark-grips-2b

In case you're wondering, while elephant ivory is heavily restricted globally, there is currently nothing on the books regarding wooly mammoth ivory. Go figure.
The difference is, Elephants are endangered, the Mammoths perished 10,000 years ago and are no longer protected.

I also was expecting a much different look. Knives with mammoth scales or grips are cross section cuts, (Think of a geode only solid all the way through, showing multiple layers as the original tusk was petrified over the years, maybe a layer at a time. These appear to have been cut from what would have been the outside of the tusk only.

No doubt a lot less waste, but they took the Beauty out of the Mammoth Tusk grips.

I'm sure they add dye to the layers to get this much color. $499.99 and you get a knife with the grips! :)

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Premium Member
13,451 Posts
I thought they'd be more expensive, since they aren't making Wooly mammoth's anymore.
They could be cheaper because they are from a cloned Mammuthus primigenius.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Super Moderator
37,500 Posts
The difference is, Elephants are endangered, the Mammoths perished 10,000 years ago and are no longer protected.

I also was expecting a much different look. Knives with mammoth scales or grips are cross section cuts, (Think of a geode only solid all the way through, showing multiple layers as the original tusk was petrified over the years, maybe a layer at a time. These appear to have been cut from what would have been the outside of the tusk only.

No doubt a lot less waste, but they took the Beauty out of the Mammoth Tusk grips.

I'm sure they add dye to the layers to get this much color. $499.99 and you get a knife with the grips! :)

Not necessarily ...it may have absorbed minerals through the aging process or been reclaimed from deep lakes. Reclaimed old growth lumber dredged up from the bottom of the Great Lakes will show varying colors.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Wonder if you can get them for a High Point?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
There's a guy I follow on FaceBook who makes and sells beautiful handmade 1911 grips. He cuts a cross sectional slice of the tusk. The tusks seem to have age rings almost like trees and over time it appears they separate. He fills the gap with some sort of resin, the color of his choosing. I find these much more attractive that the ones pictured by the OP. I have no idea what he charges for these but they are awesome IMO.

mammoth.jpg

mammoth2.jpg

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
That's not a bad price, but out of my range for sure. I've been lusting for a Mammoth chess set on House of Staunton for only $12,995.oo - without a board.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Reactions: rollin thunder

·
Registered
558 Posts
The knife grips pictured are mammoth tooth. Teeth and tusks can be sliced in different ways to give a different appearance and to maximize yield.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts