Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get em' or have em made. This bright red thing on the grip is super tacky and WAY to big for my extra medium hands. I need new grips and will pay whatever for em!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Go for if, when the Raging Bull 454 first came out a friend made a set for his. Beautiful wood, felt good and looked good on the gun. Made a huge change in felt recoil with the gun. He put the factory grips back on when shooting 454 loads.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
No photos, that was years ago. Try Hogue or some of the custom grip makers. I use the factory grips on my Taurus revolvers and Hogue rubber on the other brands. Hogue makes some nice wood grips, and I own a few sets. I am not a big fan of wood on heavy recoil handguns or guns I use a lot. Wood looks good and makes even a plain Jane gun look good. Some friends hate rubber, it is up to the owner what the gun wears. I will be first to tell anyone go for what you like. You will shoot better with a gun you like and that fits your hand.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Checked with a friend that does custom wood, he said recoil was the reason he did not do them. One unhappy customer would do more harm than 100 happy ones. He said to try some of the custom makers for Contender grips. Grip angle and recoil problems are similar.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Different strokes for different folks...but I wouldn't want to shoot that beast if it had wooden grips.

But then, I'm a skinny OLD man. :(:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Carl Nill makes wood grips that fit S&W X frames so I don't see why a Raging Bull couldn't wear wood.

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
I need new grips and will pay whatever for em!

DING DING DING ! :D You just said the MAGIC words. If you're willing to pay whatever it takes, I'm sure there are plenty of custom gripmakers out there that will be happy to talk to you.

Cylinder & Slide Inc

Call these guys. If they don't make them, I'd be shocked. Be sure to tell them you'll pay whatever it takes.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Recoil is the thing that will cause a wooden grip to fail on a Magnum Handgun. I had a couple sets of Herrett Shooting Stars on my Ruger Super Blackhawk that chipped out at the seam. The wood will expand and contract with changes in humidity and temperature. That in turn will add stress to the wood in the grips and if you shoot a heavy load in the gun while the grip is stressed it will result in the grip splitting, or chipping, or failing in some fashion or another. The trick to resolving those issues are to use a laminated wood for the grips and to loosen them and carefully retighten them before you start your range session for the day.

Wood grips when made correctly can re-position the hand on the revolver in a way that actually softens the felt recoil and gives you more control over the gun. Most magnum grips will fill the void behind the trigger guard thus lowering the hand on the grip. By making the grip a bit longer and adding some finger grooves or in some cases a thumb rest. you can gain quite a bit of control over the stock grips. Look at the Houge custom grips on my M44 they are an excellent example of this. The gentle curve on the back of the grip lets it rock in your hand a bit and gives you complete control in managing the recoil and recovering for the next shot.

Reactions: cooper

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sent them an email, lets hope they say yes. Thanks for the info on grips and magnums! I'll need that if they take the job to make me a grip.
Awesome line

"and if you shoot a heavy load in the gun"

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The Raging Hornet is built on the Taurus large frame and should be able to use the same grip Skiff has on his model 44. I wonder if some of the other Raging Bulls are built on the large frame as well? I can't do it right now, but this weekend I'll take some grips off of my Bulls and see what the frame sizes look like. I know the Hornet has the yellow strip as opposed to the red strip, I'll compare grip sizes too.

It could be like the Trackers, with subtle differences in the frame, making it impossible to have standard aftermarket wood grips?

Coop

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Here is my large frame .44 magnum.I have not been able to find another set of grips like it.I have a set of Hogue finger grooves for shooting but honestly I havent shot it at all.It is the centerpiece of my Taurus collection.
I had a second one with ribber grips for shooting but sold it to purchase something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
While I do not own a Bull I'm guessing it has a stub for a grip like my Tracker. These are not easy to fit for wood due to the square shape and are more suited to some form of injection moulding, hence rubber.I did make a pair for my Tracker frame on a bet and because the grippers are way to stickey and huge for under the shirt wear. While not a tactical wiz bang finger groove thing of beauty , they are smooth , conceal well and point well. And o yeah, with full house 41 mags the trigger guard will bang the middle finger pretty good. Guess ya can't have everything.
Not having the benefit of lots of cool wood tools these were built from five pieces of wood to get around the weird inletting stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts