Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, and Happy Passover for those who celebrate that holiday, and a Happy Easter for those who celebrate that holiday!

Today I shot my first PPC match, using my Taurus PT-99.

At my club, our standard course of fire is the combat 600 match, which is a 60-round, timed event with a maximum score of 600-60X.

I scored a 531-20 X.

My Taurus was smooth and easy to shoot. There really is something perfectly right about a full-sized service pistol in 9mm. Low recoil, easy to use controls, and good sights. :)

Naturally, I have a lot of things I need to work on. My weak hand shooting (6 rounds weak hand only at 3 yards and 6 rounds weak-hand supported at 25 yards) did not go well at all. That's just more excuse to practice. :)

Warm Regards,

-Drew

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Congrats!! Any excuse is a good excuse for more range time. :D

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Hey, that's good shooting!!! Congratulations and practice, practice, and then practice some more... I just wish I could shoot like that....

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing this milestone with us. ;)

·
Super Moderator
26,970 Posts
That sounds like very good shooting! Congrats.
Tell me what I would look for on you tube to see something like this?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Good for you sounds fun not just the competition but the practice part as well.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Glad to see our PT99s doing well. I love mine.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,959 Posts
Nice shootin' gotta love those 99s:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: 2nd PPC match went much better!

Hi all,

I just got back from my second PPC match and it went much better. I shot a 569 out of 600 (94.8%).

I had two whoops moments:

1) I loaded five instead of six bullets in one of my magazines. So I had to dig into my pocket, come up with one, and load it directly into the chamber. I honestly think the Beretta design with the open slide made this both possible and easy.

2) Frequently with my 17 round Taurus magazine, the slide locks back with one round left in the mag. It only happens with this magazine. The quick fix was to simply pull back on the slide and fire the last shot. I'm going to touble-shoot this magazine and maybe simply replace it with another Mec-Gar magazine.

Briefly, here's the course of fire that's used at my club:

Briefly, here's the course of fire:

Stage A: 12 rounds at 3 yards in 25 seconds, standing, no support, one hand only. Draw, fire 6 rounds right hand, reload, fire 6 rounds left hand.

Stage B: 12 rounds at 7 yards in 30 seconds, standing, no support, two hands. Draw, fire six rounds, reload, fire 6 rounds.

Stage C: 6 rounds at 15 yards in 12 seconds, standing, no support, two hands. Draw, fire 6 rounds.

Stage D: 12 rounds at 15 yards in 35 seconds, standing, no support, two hands. Draw, fire 6 rounds, reload, fire 6 rounds.

Stage E: 18 rounds at 25 yards in 90 seconds, two hands. Draw, fire 6 rounds kneeling, reload, fire 6 rounds left-handed from the left side of the barricade, reload, fire 6 rounds right-handed from right hand side of the barricade. You may use the barricade for support when shooting the left-hand and right-hand barricade positions.

Regards,

-Drew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts