Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Thanks Smokewagon, this is from the town next to where I grew up.

Registered
My wife used to live down that way in Perryville. Beautiful part of the state. AND she carries a S&W .38! IMHO, the more women that are out there willing to defend themselves, the less inclined stupid people will be to do stupid things....

Registered
My blushing bride (girlfriend was upgraded to wife last month) will probably burn an intruder with the Judge. She loves it. Then again, she also like this .38 ultralite.
Anyway, the point is, it is just natural to her to be prepared. Idiots are everywhere.

Reactions: sargedog

Registered
My buddy at the range one of the employees is a Taurus fan. She always comes over to see what Tauri I got in the bag. Last weekend she saw me and was excited becuase she brought her Taurus. She pulled out a beautiful SS6084" and proceeded to put me to shame at 12 yards. That lady can shoot some Magnum!

Banned
As it should be.

Registered
My blushing bride (girlfriend was upgraded to wife last month) will probably burn an intruder with the Judge. She loves it. Then again, she also like this .38 ultralite.
Anyway, the point is, it is just natural to her to be prepared. Idiots are everywhere.
Congrats on the new wife Denton! And, it's a good thing that you married a girl who likes to shoot! :thumb:

Registered
I applaud this woman for protecting her family, and glad to see and hear that more women are exercising there 2nd amendment rights.
If the need ever arises everyone should be able to defend themselfs and/or their family.

Registered
Congrats on the new wife Denton! And, it's a good thing that you married a girl who likes to shoot! :thumb:
Thanks.
Third one. Each one has been a fantastic shot. Second wife, as a matter of fact, went to the junior olympics for small bore rifle.
First wife and I went to Camp Perry in 81, small bore. She scored higher. OK, she also cheated. I missed an entire target because she "accidentally" took one of mine to her point.

Registered
I'm a firm believer in ladies learning to protect themselves. We had a recent murder here that was particularly brutal over last Christmas and the Sheriffs of two counties recommended that ladies take the CCW course and purchase protection. I'm a lady and I do carry, I have a CCW. I did long before this but it was a reminder. I carry either my lightweight 38 Charter or my 45ACP Para LDA. I love the 1911 frame and the slim single stack. I also believe in being able to handle and shoot all guns in my house and do. I shoot on a regular basis. I'm a Life member of the NRA and take my 2A rights seriously. If there is one thing I would love to tell my fellow woman is to stand up for yourself. Learn to protect yourself. Take the class, learn to shoot. You can do it!

Registered
I too am a firm believer that women need to be armed to protect themselves. I grew up around guns, started shooting a 22 rifle at a young age. Guns were just part of my family's way of going. The boys and the girls were taught how to use them. I carry a handgun all the time around my ranch, poisionous snakes, bobcats, moutain lions, and other critters are a constant problem. We have large herds of deer and elk that migrate through my area, sometimes during mating season they are no fun to deal with, so during those times I usually have a rifle on hand as well.

With all the rise in crime, home invasions, etc, I now have a gun handy all the time. Rural living is usually quiet, but as of late, even the rural areas are having troubles. Seems like no one is safe anywhere anymore. In the past, I would take a handgun in my vehicle when out and about, just in case I had problems along the road somewhere. I got a small vehicle safe, I would put my handgun in it when I went into stores shopping. One day I was in a store shopping, this fellow went crazy at someone that was with him, they had been bickering, so I already had my attention turned to them. He had a large knife, besides stabbing the person he was with, he did some damage to a couple of other people who tried to stop him. Then he turned my way and came at me, I really had no place to go, I had to do whatever I could in that moment, you have no idea how fast this kind of stuff goes down, but my awareness is probably what gave me the time needed to better react. I was very glad I had taken some self protection courses in the past, that training is what came alive instantly, like I was on auto pilot. I took his legs out from under him with one good kick to the knee, the knee going backwards dropped him to the floor face down, as he rolled over onto his back, I tramped hard on his throat/wind pipe, he was sucking hard to get his breath, his knee was def tore up, he wasn't going to get back up on it and go anywhere, but for whatever reason, my training took me right into stomping on his throat right away, so, call it insult to injury I guess, but he was down and going nowhere, I stomped his hand he let go of the knife and I kicked it away from him. Other people jumped in to hold him down until the police got there, the paramedics treated him last.

That was the moment I realized tha my gun was no longer going to be in my vehicle safe, it was time to start to carry it. New Mexico did not have a CCW Permit at that time. So, I started open carrying. Even though we did not have a law for concealed carry, lots of times I just dropped my shirt over my gun when going in stores, I was not going to go unprotected again, and I felt that was a better approach because people were not going to handle open carry well in stores and I did not want the hastle of peoples reactions or the stores reactions.

Women are really much more vulnerable because men see us that way. That fellow made a big mistake when he turned my way and was going to attack me, he got a big suprise, this woman knew how to handle him, and I was not going to be another victim in all that had been happening. I can say, it would have been a lot easier to have just pulled out a gun and shot him. We all read all that stuff that talks about how someone can cover that hypothetical 21 ft distance in a second or two, that they are on you so quickly you have little time, and I can tell you that is true, very true. BUT, when the adrenaline starts flowing, time slows down, everything kind of goes in slow motion, and if you have any kind of protection training, you switch to that mode instantly. I know I did, and I just did what I got training to do, didn't really think about it either, I just did it. I am not a hero, just a person that was able to do what I did because I was personally pro-active about getting training TO protect myself.

So, there's my story. I encourage every woman to get armed, take some classes, not just gun classes either, other protection courses do serve situations well. Knowing both I certainly have more confidence. I take the time to teach any woman who wants to learn how to shoot a gun. I may not be a NRA instructor, but I get the job done, and many of those women I have taught to shoot have gone on to take several courses to be able to be good at protecting themselves.

CD

I wish I could press like over and over again CD.

That is exactly the kind of stuff I worry about the most. When this forum first came about, one of my first questions thrown out there was whether any of the women here had taken any kind of self protection classes in addition to their CC permit. My Mother and I have talked about this at great length. Many years ago she was involved with a crazy man at a shopping mall. Everything happened so fast. Thankfully she was not harmed and mall security got to this guy before he hurt anyone but himself. She was so shaken up about the whole ordeal that she insisted on taking some self defense classes (this was before my Mother had her CC permit). Then a girlfriend of mine was stalked by her ex boyfriend to the point of her being so frightened she nearly became home bound. She got her CC permit back in December and also enrolled in a self defense training class. Both of them stated that the firearm alone gives you a feeling of security, but the added self defense training puts the bow on it, if you will.

Since I'm in IL and can't legally carry, I don't have many options of self protection. I think it's time I enroll in a class. When life throws a wrench at you, it's just a matter of seconds to react. I suppose a little of my 'I don't take sh&*^ from nobody personality' might come into play, but it's not enough. I want to thank you for reminding me!! And, I'm glad you were not hurt...AND....I would have loved to be a fly on THAT wall watching you take that jack wagon down! LOL

Registered
Hey MissKitty.

You know, I would have not minded being a fly on the wall right alongside you, but then, I would have not been attacked by this guy and who knows how many vics he would have had when all was said and done. So, I guess I was in the right place and time. It is really a strange moment to experience, one second you are standing there waiting in line, next second you see this guy with a knife taking people down, next second he is coming at you. I really don't think I had time TO think, it was all about reaction, had I not been paying attention, keeping an eye on situational awareness stuff, I could have easily been just another vic. I did not feel fear, don't know about feeling much of anything, it was all about reacting, and I was lucky. I had no place to go but toward him, I was blocked in, so frontal charge at him. I knew what to do, gave it a good solid try and it worked. I also knew what to do if it didn't work, what my next step would have been, but truthfully, I do not recall doing any thinking about it all. One thing I did get out of it all was that when people like him are all cahrged up and really into what they are doing, they do not really see what you are doing, and they do not react and make changes quickly or at all. Maybe I did what he didn't expect, I did not try to get away, I did not just succomb to him, the others did that and it got them hurt. Instead I went straight at him, I took advantage of that straight approach that shortens the distance faster, something they do not expect, and I did not change my direction toward him until the last step before him, then I side stepped and went for the knee, caught it just right, slightly in the front and to the side is where I hit it. I do not think he saw that coming, was too fast and unexpected. I was to his left side, the knife was in his right hand, he did not move to react with that right side hand with the knife, instead he put his left arm up to try to block me, I actually lowered myself and stretched out to get the knee before his left arm/hand was able to touch me. He didn't get the left arm/hand down fast enough to prevent his face smacking the floor. So, a little cement and tile helped to soften the blow, LOL!! He started to immediatley turn over, I kicked the knife out of his hand and away from reach and stepped on his throat hard.

When it was all over, I did not feel any panic, I did not fall apart, I was all but stunned by the fact I had handled it and the outcome was good. The police did not ask me much in the line of any questioning, they mostly wanted to get my name and addy, etc, those who observed pretty much told the story. I did do some immediate first aid to one of those he cut up before I stopped him, nasty arm wounds to one lady, bloody mess, pumping blood all over the place, I used my belt to get that under control easily. The paramedics got there really fast, so did the police, by the time they all got there, those of us involved had everything under control pretty good.

It is truly a shame that this stuff is taking place. So much stuff/people are out of control. So many perps out there just waiting for that moment of opportunity. I think everyone should have defensive training, anyone who goes out in public today, drives down the road, walks down the street could find themselves in trouble, and really quickly even when they are paying attention to their surroundings.

I do not know if I could live in a place like you do, a place that did not allow me to exercise my rights to carry a gun. I have traveled through Ill many times, both across the I-80 east/west and up/around the Chicago loop on my way to Wisconsin/Minnesota when traveling from Pa. Every time that I have traveled through Ill, and there have been at least 20 times that I recollect, I have had my gun in the truck. I would have not thought twice if I had to use it to protect myself. I just would have used it - I guess I was breaking the law, several of them that I am now aware of . . but you know, I never thought to check to see what the laws were, I just assumed I had the right to protect myself. Now, I am aware of the laws, the internet has made it all so easy to get information. I really like the fact that we have forums like this one so we all can communicate about things. I do not go up Chicago way much anymore, and if I did, I would still have my gun, law or laws, I am not going to be a vic if I can prevent it.

Once you have had an experience like I wnet through, you are never comfortable again, anywhere. I can get into where your Mother comes from, intimately. I hae had a couple gal friends who have had encounters that have left them with the same feelings. Everyone I know who has had some kind of experience now carries a CCW and they ALL have taken several different types of defense courses. ALL women need to make sure they can protect themselves, they are primary targets, BUT, men need to take them too, anyone can be a target. I was not hurt, I was lucky. I very well could have been. Today, I carry a gun. If I ever have to go through that kind of stuff again, I will most assuredly use it, but I know that if taking another evasive action like I did then was open in the situation first, my gun might take a back seat on the first go round . . I am not a spring chicken, I am getting older, so the physical attributes are waning a little, the gun will make up the difference.

One would think that the pro gun lobby should be growing enough in your state to start working in the direction of turning the gun laws around toward the citizens favor. Maybe that should be something you take on in the near future.

CD

"One would think that the pro gun lobby should be growing enough in your state to start working in the direction of turning the gun laws around toward the citizens favor. Maybe that should be something you take on in the near future."

There is a strong movement here, we get closer everyday.

Registered
I bought my first gun the same year i got married and it took me many years to get my wife to learn to shoot, 11 years and that was at a military spouses day at the range. She liked the m60 mg the best. She could not stand the m203 it kicked way too much, maybe i should have warned her. But it was not until last year that she started to like to shoot now she has her own bersa 380cc and i have to watch her around my other guns so that they do not go into her safe. But i know that anyone entering the house when i am not home had best hope she is not home. More men need to take the time to teach there better half the trill of sport shooting so they cna learn to safely handle a weapon and the deffese side will follow.

Registered
I do not watch much on TV but I admin to being a fan of Criminal Minds. I love it when a woman surprises the perp with fighting back and taking the guy out. But the vast vast majority of the episodes shows the women having no clue of their surroundings, nor any idea of what to do in a dangerous situation. CD, I'm going to print your story out so I can review it periodically. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: CDinNM

Registered
There is a certain POWER that comes with shooting a gun, most women never know that power, too bad, it would serve them well. I encourage every woman I know to take up shooting, to get into the level of protection they rightfully should be at, nothing feels the same when you KNOW you have the upper hand with what's in your hand, nothing. No false sense of security like calling 911 . . shooting the 1911 is one-up-manship to 911, literally a thousand times better.

CD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts