Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
A little more info on the incident:

Family sues woman who came to officer's aid in fatal Indiana sho - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports

From the article:

State police said a search of Holland's vehicle revealed methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia. Toxicology results from his autopsy found meth, benzodiazepines, marijuana, methadone, and dextromethorphan in his system, according to the prosecutor.

Yes, Justin was a scumbag, but his family misses him a lot and needs a new pickup to get past the grief.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The lawyer in that video just looks like a scumbag. This is in Indiana - there are legal protections on the books for coming to the aid of a third party with a firearm and using deadly force. Hopefully there isn't some lefty judge on the bench with a 2A axe to grind...Rising Sun IS almost in Ohio and a stones throw away from Cincinnati though....

·
23,833 Posts
The ambulance chaser is probably working for free in hopes that they'll win. He's going to be disappointed.

But if that's correct, the family has nothing to lose.

Except dignity.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Another perfect example of why - whoever loses the lawsuit should pay for court costs- and the winner's time in court.

·
Registered
37,586 Posts

Yes, Justin was a scumbag, but his family misses him a lot and needs a new pickup to get past the grief.
well and lets NOT forget that he was trying to turn his life around as well!
OH my goodness !!
that sounded so Uncompassionate!
IT must have been the tone of my voice?

Reactions: Desperado

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Another perfect example of why - whoever loses the lawsuit should pay for court costs- and the winner's time in court.
Absolutely right.

Apparently they do this in Europe. Cut off your finger with a circular saw you think long and hard
before suing Bosch Power Tools. You end up looking dumber trying to sue because of your own
stupidity.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ambulance chaser is probably working for free in hopes that they'll win. He's going to be disappointed.

But if that's correct, the family has nothing to lose.

Except dignity.
Either that, or the lawyer is hoping for an out of court settlement. The lawyer has billboards in the Cincinnati area, and constantly runs TV ads in Cincinnati and Dayton with a jingle for his phone # (all the same digits) The ads basically say
"You want more attention?" "Do you want more compensation?" "We've recovered millions" "Every case is different, We don't know what your case is worth until you call" etc , all while the kindergarden like jingle is playing in the background. It's a very annoying commercial, but it probably works for them.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Absolutely right.

Apparently they do this in Europe. Cut off your finger with a circular saw you think long and hard
before suing Bosch Power Tools. You end up looking dumber trying to sue because of your own
stupidity.

All the Best,
D. White
I don't know about the whole of Europe but they certainly do in the UK. Costs CAN be awarded by the court to cover the whole cost, part of the cost or a nominal sum, depending on the case and the mood of the judge. It certainly makes people and lawyers think twice before suing although in recent years there have been many more people willing to take the chance if the stakes are high enough.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dismiss the case. Order the plaintiff to pay all court costs and defense costs. And levy a fine against the family to reimburse this woman for the time it took to defend the officer, the cost of the ammo, a fresh cleaning of her firearm, and for emotional trauma suffered by her, considering this criminal put her in the position to have to take a person's life.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I don't know about the whole of Europe but they certainly do in the UK. Costs CAN be awarded by the court to cover the whole cost, part of the cost or a nominal sum, depending on the case and the mood of the judge. It certainly makes people and lawyers think twice before suing although in recent years there have been many more people willing to take the chance if the stakes are high enough.
In Germany it's by default. The loser of the suit is held responsible by the court for causing the suit. If you get sued and the ruling is in your favor, the person suing you carries the entire fee, including your lawyers fee because, if the ruling went in your favor then obviously the suit was unjust. You would not believe how many actually unjust suits (the kind of law suits that are intended to cost the defendant money, time, and reputation) this stops (but not the frivolous ones where someone really thinks they are in the right....)

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Either that, or the lawyer is hoping for an out of court settlement. The lawyer has billboards in the Cincinnati area, and constantly runs TV ads in Cincinnati and Dayton with a jingle for his phone # (all the same digits) The ads basically say
"You want more attention?" "Do you want more compensation?" "We've recovered millions" "Every case is different, We don't know what your case is worth until you call" etc , all while the kindergarden like jingle is playing in the background. It's a very annoying commercial, but it probably works for them.
Annoying commercials with overdubbed childish music appeal to low-brow lowlifes.
You know, the type who view the court system as a lottery.
When they loose, MAKE THEM PAY. We should have implemented this type of tort reform in OUR country a long time ago.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I would hope that the state is covering her lawyer expenses as she came to their officer's defense.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
That's a nice thought, and it would probably depend heavily on what the officer said or asked her to do before she pulled the trigger.

But on the whole, the idea of the state 'doing the right thing' -- well . . .

Reactions: pegasus

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would hope that the state is covering her lawyer expenses as she came to their officer's defense.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
They've not indicated a willingness to do that at this time. I probably don't expect them too either. Bottom line is, if you do something in defense of another, you're pretty much on your own when it comes to a lawsuit, unless other parties volunteer to help you (gofundme, lawyers working pro bono, etc. ) or unless you have special insurance that covers it. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.