·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
From what I've heard a few times from people who did this to a CH revolver, you have to be careful. It's a balancing job to get it where you like the double action pull, versus how much 'smack' the hammer needs to do it's job.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input texas! I just ordered some snap caps and will get some dry firing in to help smooth it up the old fashion way! ;)

·
8,533 Posts
The 856 is considered a Taurus small frame - so a kit for the 605 or 85 will work. I would try the 9 lb hammer spring. As far as the trigger spring, there is an issue. You will probably have to remove a few coils off the spring to get it to fit on the trigger spring center pin. I did both on one of my 605's and got it right. I just replaced the hammer spring on my other 605. The other big issue is removing the grip to access the side plate. Taurus uses an over sized pin in the stirrup(rear frame), driving it out to remove the grip is hard. I use a Starter punch which has a hard end, a bench block and a real hammer to get it started, then move to a regular punch to drive it out the rest of the way. Look for videos on how to do it.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Let me give you some free advice on spring kits and trigger jobs from decades of firearm owner ship:

1. I ALWAYS take a revolver apart to clean and oil EVERY part in the trigger assembly BEFORE I ever hit the range. For me, this does as much or more than ANY spring or trigger work has ever done to smooth out the action.

2. I also WILL NOT consider a spring kit or trigger job until I have put AT LEAST 500 rounds through the revolver in question. Usually by this time the trigger is smooth as glass, and nothing will improve it.

Again, this is only what I do to my firearms. Your opinion and experience may be different than mine.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I recently bought a 856 and I don't think you need to do anything with the trigger. It feels good to me and I don't feel the need to do anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently bought a 856 and I don't think you need to do anything with the trigger. It feels good to me and I don't feel the need to do anything.
Do you have a CH model? The DA/SA model 856's seem to have a lighter/smoother trigger then the concealed hammer DA only model I have.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Do you have a CH model? The DA/SA model 856's seem to have a lighter/smoother trigger then the concealed hammer DA only model I have.
No. However, I do have a 605 that is DAO with a CH that shoots very much like my 856. Why would a DAO be any different than a DA/SA in the same gun?

·
32,528 Posts
The short and sweet version of this is yes you can use the Woolf springs. They say this themselves.
TAURUS SMALL FRAME REVOLVERS

Includes Model(s): 73, 85/856, 605 (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR 94/941)
Please Note: Due to changes in newer revolvers, Wolff trigger springs may require some modification.

Quick jump to a product:

• Shooters Pak
  • Hammer Springs
  • Trigger Return Springs
https://www.gunsprings.com/TAURUS/SMALL%20FRAME%20REVOLVER/cID3/mID65/dID290

Oh, yes. The other posters in this thread all have good advice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. However, I do have a 605 that is DAO with a CH that shoots very much like my 856. Why would a DAO be any different than a DA/SA in the same gun?
I can't answer that. All I can tell you is that the CH model's trigger feels different to me. Obviously I knew that at the time of purchase and decided I still wanted to go with the CH model. Now I am exploring some trigger work options.:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts