Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone out there ever put a wolf spring pack on a taurus hand gun.
i've got a few and the 41 tracker i'd like to lighten up the trigger and hammer.

i guess the 41 would be my guinea pig,if it is feasible i might try it on the model 460 ,441,and the model 444/44. they shoot pretty good,
however,with a lighter trigger pull they just might do even better. dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put Wolff springs in everything. On my 431, I had to go to the medium spring because I occassionally had a misfire - too light a primer hit with some primers. Fine ever since, easily 15+ years. On my 605, nary a hitch, and it made an even bigger difference, which I didn't think was possible. Both guns feel 150% better with the Wolff springs, to me anyway. Way better in DA, easier cocking in SA, and a slightly lighter trigger pull. Any increase in locj time hasn't affected my accuracy at all, but these are defense guns. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think may gey the wolf pack for the 41mag tracker and work from there.
thanks virginian. dan

·
Registered
275 Posts
Virginian, I have a model 441 in .44 special 3 inch barrel. It caused some misfires with especially the CCI hard primers.

I contacted Wolff springs about ordering a heavier duty hammer spring, they said they only had reduced tension springs and probably wouldn't be able to help my problem. My gun already had a great smooth double action trigger pull, very lite.

A machinist gunsmith friend suggested taking off the grips and pull out the guide stem and spring bushing, then place a small washer or two on the stem between the spring and the bushing...then reassemble the bushing back into the gun's frame. (see picture of this bushing and spring before washers added)

He also said to test fire some brass cases with the hard primers by CCI to see if they fired OK...they did, and the washers seemed to resolve the problem.

TB C45

·
Registered
959 Posts
1. If the gun initially shoots like crap, a few hundred rounds will smooth the crap out of it.
2. If you can't shoot for crap, a few hundred rounds will improve the crap out of your shooting.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Tracker Backer,... I think Shooting like that would tighten some BG's "CRAP" up Quite Nicely...<:))

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my 431, back then I got the "Spring Pak", and had a selection of 3 hammer springs. I started with the lightest, and only had to move up to #2. Even #3 is far lighter than the original Taurus spring. I smoothed up the insides a little while I was in there too. I love that gun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The Taurus 431 and 441 are really fine revolvers. It's a dang shame they don't make them anymore.

I also own the older S&W model No. 2 and the 3rd model in .44 special, but like the Taurus 441 better because of its accuracy.

However, loading for this gun is a bit of extra work because of the over sized cylinder throats...you have to make it happy when you feed it, has a finicky appetite for .432 bullets.

TB C45

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had similar issues with the wolff springs. I pasted the bolow from another thread I responded to.
I had this issue with my 357 mag Titanuim Tracker. I wanted a better feeling trigger and got a Wolfe Spring kit but kept gettin' light primer strikes with the lighter springs. So I put the factory spring back in but it wouldn't set off them CCI primer loads. So with it dissasembled I got to thinkin. I knew it seemed like a spring issue, but I been messin' with the wrong one (hammer spring). I decided to take out the pin that hold the firing pin and took a look at the firing pin return spring. It seemed a bit big for just functioning to return the firing pin back into the firing pin channel. Also seemed like when I pushed the firingpin all the way in the wasn't much comin' out the other side where it would smack a primer.
So what did I do? I clipped 1.5 coil from the booger and that seemed to be the issue. No more light primer strikes and none with a extra light Wolfe Hammer Spring either. Feels a wee bit slicker than my Ol' well used Ruger GP-100.
*Just take off that side plate, use right sized screw driver.
*Up by the hammer you'll see a little pin sickin' out the hold the firing pin and firing pin return spring in there.
* Take it out and the firing pin + firing pin return srping.
* Clip 1 to 1 and half coils off of the firing return spring. Little wire cutters will work good.
*Reassemble.
* take that puppy out and give it a whirl.

I don't know why Taurus that many coilson their firing pin return springs. It prevents the full firing pin head from engaging the primer, especially in double action mode. Seems like they would realize it since it appears to be a common issue with some of their revolvers and what turns so many into "Tauri-haters."
Eh, go figure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts