Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 709 slim, and my buddy has tons of wolf 9mm, but from what I hear its bad stuff, tears up your gun, wears down the extracters....so I'm nervous about running it through my 709, so far the gun shoots great I've only run about 100rds of WWB, I dont want to chance screwing up the gun with cheap ammo...but man he has a ton of it that he just gives to me, and I love shooting my 709, and free ammo....who couldnt pass that up.....So any thoughts? reviews? experiences with wolf 9mm ammo? New member first post, thanks for reading

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
To be honest, I have never heard about Wolf causing this kind of damage to firearms. Also, although it is not my number one choice, I have shot it in the past without any problems. IMO if someone offered me a ton of it to shoot, free of cost, I would take it and practice with it!

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Wolf is usually lightly loaded. The Box O' Truth has tested it against handloads and found it to be superior in accuracy! I would shoot Wolf handgun ammo in my guns all day long if I didn't reload. It's cheap, accurate, and reliable.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Much of the bad press about this ammo is oft repeated urban myths.

The Russians have been using it for over 70 years without a problem; do they make better, stronger guns? No.

The truth is the soft steel they use in their cases doesn't do harm to today's well made arms.

It's soft enough to expand like it's brass counter parts.

The worst anyone can admit is that it "may" be a bit dirtier with regards to burnt powder fouling.

If one chooses not to use it, so be it.

I say try it first before throwing the baby out with the wash water.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I used some and it worked just fine. If you have some free ammo to spare, I have some storage space.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
extractors are typically made of spring steel or tool quality steel, much, much tougher than the light steel used in ammo cases, same with the barrels, etc that withstand the pressure.
I don't personally like steel cased ammo but it really shouldn't hurt the gun if its loaded to safe standards.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The only valid complaint I've read about Wolf ammo is that it's extremely dirty, but so is any other brand of steel cased ammo.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I don't use Russian or any steel any more. Haven't for a couple of years. It would gum up my slides after 100 to 150 rounds or so (no matter what lube I used). Maybe I bought a bad batch of Wolf.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for the great info, I know it's an old topic on this forum but I appreciate the new information

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I don't use Russian or any steel any more. Haven't for a couple of years. It would gum up my slides after 100 to 150 rounds or so (no matter what lube I used). Maybe I bought a bad batch of Wolf.
I had similar problems with the older (and cheaper) lacquered steel cases, but I have recently found that the polymer coated steel cases did not gum up the slide.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am unable to recall any real 'problems' with any factory made ammunition. Wolf Gold goes bang every time.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Awhile back I bought 1,000 rounds of Wolf 9mm. It all went bang. I won't buy it unless it is super cheap because, I reload. It did break 2 ejectors on my Kel-Tec P11. This is probably because of a faster, harder ejection from steel cases. They don't seal to the chamber as well as brass, therefore, faster ejection and dirtier guns.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The only problem I know of is some ranges will not allow it because of the bimetal bullets they use. if a magnet will stick to the bullet you can't use it. Never had any problems with it myself. Love my 709.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have read reports of Wolf's primers rupturing. The problem there is that that will allow the gasses and particulate to spray out the back of the case directly at your firing pin. This can cause undue wear. I personally don't use it in any guns that I care about, so from the little I have used, I have never seen a ruptured primer. Then again, I don't go around inspecting ejected steel cases either. Maybe I should.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
I don't know but would say that bad reputations and bad mouthing any product would be dependant on what someone thought the expectations of that product should be?
so I guess its about exactly what ones expectations of likely the cheapest (inexpensive) ammunition on the market would be?

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Some guns just don't like steel cases, some don't care what you put in them. My 945 can't run steel cases reliable, alot of FTE's. However my Hi-Point would probably run rounds made of sand and mud if they would hold up to back pressure of the powder blast. Sometimes you just have to try and see how the weapon reacts to the ammo you're using at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
Fired many, many rounds of Wolf. NO problems!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts